Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone
(05-23-2022, 02:44 PM)REHII Wrote: Here is a webpage that talks about how to tell if it’s nitro.
Alcohol, acetone, and lacquer thinner will dissolve nitro finish.
I don’t know what dissolves trutone.
This page says he can buff out the small mark made by the test in nitro.
I would test under a tuner.
But if the guitar sounds great does it matter?
What finish, is it “real” mahogany, is that rich lite or ebony,red,Sitka,alpine,German ,carpathian, engalmann ,lutz or moon.
Are those waverlys or pings?
I think in the future as materials get scarce guitar lovers will have to be more tolerant of new materials and techniques.
How does it sound and play?

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...etest.html

The type of finish matters to me. Some are more delicate than others. I would like to take my guitar to the park or car-camping. If sunscreen or insect repellent is going to damage one finish but not anotherr then I want to know that.

I'm actually in favor of moving completely away from nitro. There's no longer a valid excuse to use such a nasty product. Dana Bourgeois proved that. I would be pleased to find that my E10OM-TC is Truetone.

I appreciate the link. Thank you. It is exactly what I was looking for. I'll test when the pick guard is changed.

(05-24-2022, 04:19 AM)John-K Wrote: I did this with the finish on a 2020 Truetone finished mandolin. Acetone rubbed the finish right off off the inside of the F-holes but did not hurt it on the back or under the bridge. I have no idea why. Tread lightly.

The voice of experience. Thank you.
Pura Vida likes this post
================================
Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
================================

Messages In This Thread
Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone - by TTiimm - 05-23-2022, 10:01 AM
RE: Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone - by TTiimm - 05-24-2022, 05:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dulling out truetone glass Greg1075 2 66 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Greg1075
  Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone Shishigashira 94 45,428 07-21-2023, 01:35 AM
Last Post: nobodeuno
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 11,343 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida