Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone
Donovantyler's comment ("The sweet smell I've been smelling, and still do is from the Truetone") sent me to my guitars to sniff at the soundholes (which sounds suspiciously kinky, but hey...)  And y'know what, my E6D-TC (Alpine), purchased in June 2021 and with a date of 5-4-21 on the CoA actually does have a distinctly sweeter scent than my E10D (which I chose for comparison since at least the side and back woods are the same.)

So possibly I do have a Truetone finish on that one. Or maybe it's that Alpine spruce has a different (and sweeter) scent than Adi spruce, or maybe it's because I'm comparing a 2018 guitar (whose scent may have faded in the interim) to a 2021 one, or maybe it's because the interior wood was sealed differently (certainly the interior mahogany surface in the E6 looks different (and less glossy) than the interior surface of the E10 -- it seems to me I remember some conversation about that in the forum recently).

In the long run, it doesn't matter since I'm entirely happy with the E6D-TC Alpine and have no intention of pursuing a refund for it. As I said above, I wish Eastman would have been far more forthcoming about the change, when it happened, and with what models, but beyond that I still love the sound of the instrument and that's what matters most to me.
TomC, AlanSam, DukeS like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone - by sleigh - 07-14-2021, 12:34 PM
Finish change - by Al30906 - 08-15-2021, 04:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 11,185 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone TTiimm 13 5,081 05-26-2022, 11:49 AM
Last Post: TTiimm