Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone
Yes, bit of a shock! The statement above refers to 'green' issues which is politically correct. BUT - I am a bit of a cynic and view such radical changes as being driven by $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Also, does this point to Eastman gearing up to boost output, and if so what is next? Rolling back 'hands on construction'? And I wonder if people have already bought any of the new 'Poly Eastmans' believing they were Nitro finished?  

Eastman are apparently going to continue with their antique varnish finishes. Thing is, these are currently finished with nitro over the top - I saw one of the NAM vids where Pepin t'Hart stated this (he came up with the idea), so the obvious question is, is this option going to be finished with poly over the violin varnish? Using Nitro may be viewed in some quarters as anachronistic, but that's a large part of Eatman's appeal.

And what about the forth coming Eastman-Bourgeois range? I wonder what Dana thinks? 

The best outcome would be that a thin layer of Poly will not sound worse than a thin layer of Nitro, whilst being a tougher finish. But there is no way Poly will age as beautifully as Nitro. 

So - hang on to your Nitro Eastmans. They will almost certainly become especially sought after.

Am I happy about this? Absolutely not! Maybe it's a joke - hope so!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone - by AlanSam - 07-11-2021, 07:07 AM
Finish change - by Al30906 - 08-15-2021, 04:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 11,175 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone TTiimm 13 5,079 05-26-2022, 11:49 AM
Last Post: TTiimm