t486b new tuners
I'm thinking of putting grover imperials on my t486b any thoughts ?
I think it's a great idea , I'm not a fan of the stock tuner's look . I'm wondering with the width of the grovers if the key tips could touch ?
If you do it please post a pic . I wanted to change something on my 386 just didn't know what's next Smile . If they fit I'll follow your lead .
twistedjimmy likes this post
Hello I am a new member and would like to wish a very happy New Year to all.

I got a new Eastman E1 OM for Christmas and I am delighted with it, I have removed the stock strings and found that two of the tuner hexagon nuts on the front face of the headstock do not tighten up they just spin (finger loose) just keep turning, the other 4 tuners are tight and fine
I'm wondering if anyone can offer me some advice on this issue. Looks like a fault with the bush/nut assembly. Does the bush just press in or is there a thread engagement between the nut and the bush..?
any help would be appreciated

Best Regards
Alan
I don't mind the look of the tuners on my T486 but if I did decide to swap, I would consider locking tuners. If you are going to go through the trouble of changing, might as well upgrade.

amsmarle, if you want to repair on the cheap, just add a few drops of Loctite to the threads, snug up the nut. Wait about 12 hours before playing.
Hi Oldjock,
Thanks for reply, looking at the bush and nut it looks like it is just pressed into the drilled hole in the headstock the nut just spins around..??

Best
Alan
Oldjock , super glue might not be the best idea . Sometimes when you use super glue its so thin it can get under the finish . So if you remove at a later date it chips the finish . It's just to strong for this application...
I one time ( just once ) used super glue to hold down a loose string nut . When I went to remove it it broke the bone nut and pieces of the wood . It turned into a major repair fixing the paint and filling the Chip in the fingerboard.

This topic deserves its own thread

Jimmy don't forget to post the pics !
AlanSam likes this post
Sorry Zeiss, but Loctite is not a super glue, it is a thread locker. A drop will prevent the nut from turning due to the vibrations on the neck. Removal can be made with a minimal effort.
AlanSam likes this post
Oh so sorry jock I miss read . Don't know how I came up with super glue lol .
I've never used loctite on a guitar before . I have used on machinery , for guitar what strength ( color ) do you recommend ?
Hello,
I have received further information regarding the Pingwell V93N 3+3 tuners on my new E1OM, my issue to do with the hexagon nuts on the front face of the headstock tuners not tightening up at all (I.E. the nut is slack/ loose - spins). Apparently the tuner bush housing is a pressed in fit and the hexagon nut is not supposed to be tightened because there is not a thread arrangement. So it seems the nut is possibly decoration only never for tightening purposes. The bushing are a serrated diameter to afford a snug fit into the wood of the headstock, if you try to turn the hexagon nut you may possibly tear out the headstock material that holds the bush in place. Why have a hexagon nut that is not designed to be turned. Can anyone enlighten me further
Many thanks

Alan
I would definitely recommend the Loctite Blue.
Zeiss likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T486B-SB Bigsby Tuning Issue Jstay0 1 123 04-10-2024, 06:11 AM
Last Post: sleigh
  T486B New Guitar But Electronics Intermittent roycarver2706 4 1,189 02-13-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: DonHess
  The new T486B arrived Rad 18 5,573 09-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Rad