T486B New Guitar But Electronics Intermittent
Hey guys, I bought a new Eastman T 46B from the shop online at a great deal. When I got the guitar and played, it plays beautifully and I took it and played at church for the first time. The next time I went to play it when I plugged it in, nothing, no sound whatsoever would come out of the guitar, tried wiggling the parts the jack nothing. With the sellers approval took it to repair tech and when he went to test, it said everything worked fine. I brought it home and played it and put it away, took it out again, and the same thing happened , a little frustrating. I’m assuming there’s a cold solder joint or something going on with one of the connections. Any recommendations? Should I pull everything out through the bridge pick up and check everything or should I call Eastman warranty support or option three whatever that is?
BTW, love the guitar. Sold my Gibson 61 Warren Haynes’s ES-335 when I got this guitar. Awesome guitar when it works.

Attached Files

Eastman E40OM-TC,   AC522CE,  E6D-TC, E2OM
Furch Yellow Deluxe Gc-CR with SPA
Furch Red OMC Pure 48 SPA
Eastman T486-B
Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic Telecaster GT11
Veritas Portlander
Did you try a different cable? It may that nothing's wrong with your guitar; just a bad instrument cable. But... regardless, if you try to fix it yourself, you'll almost certainly void your warranty. If a cable swap doesn't solve your problem, I'd contact your online seller and send it back for a replacement. Either way, good luck!
roycarver2706 and AlanSam like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Sound advice from Sleigh, especially about the danger of invalidating any warranty/guarantee by tinkering with the electronics. You might go so far as shaking the guitar a little which might identify any cold solder. Another way, and extending Steve's idea, would be to take it to a friends and plug it into his/her kit - cables, amp, electric point, everything.
sleigh and roycarver2706 like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Yes, I’ve tried different cables different amps, shaking everything. Wiggled the pots the switch, where the cable connects at the input jack. It’s been too long to send back and I purchased it at a significant discount. It was new I guess I’ll reach out to Easton warranty and see what they can do for me.
AlanSam likes this post
Eastman E40OM-TC,   AC522CE,  E6D-TC, E2OM
Furch Yellow Deluxe Gc-CR with SPA
Furch Red OMC Pure 48 SPA
Eastman T486-B
Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic Telecaster GT11
Veritas Portlander
Hi, I had the same issue (almost). I ordered new T486, arrived first week of February and right out of the box the bridge pickup had no signal. I was kind of devastated and not looking forward to dealing with warranty crap. I have an endo-scope so I poked around the inside of the guitar and took some photos to see if a wire was loose. It was hard to see it all but nothing stood out as disconnected. After prodding around in there and just touching a few wires suddenly both pickups started working and no issues since. It must be the same kind of thing though, a loose solder joint. I am lazy, but should probably work with the seller to get it serviced under warranty or I'll have to deal with it myself later down the road. I'm also not a big fan of the way the treble rolls off, for 3/4 of the treble knob turn - no change, then suddenly a large change is a tiny portion of the knob turn, effectively making it difficult to dial in quickly. The pick guard was also mounted funny, not flush with the top near the pickups, and the block on the bracket jammed between the top of the guitar and the pickguard keeping it raised off the board and instead of protecting the guitar surface, it really is scratching it with the block touching.

Complaints aside I love this thing, such a sweet sound played through a VOX AC15, I really love it and will tolerate minor issues. The guitar came set up absolutely perfect from the factory, plays better than my ES-335 did when it came from CME brand new, it needed a truss and action adjustment to be playable. [Image: url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.dropbox.com%2fs%...XE,&typo=1]
      Thansk, Don

[Image: GQJX9SC.jpg]
roycarver2706 likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T486B-SB Bigsby Tuning Issue Jstay0 1 119 04-10-2024, 06:11 AM
Last Post: sleigh
  t486b new tuners twistedjimmy 16 3,632 01-04-2022, 04:05 PM
Last Post: amsmarle
  The new T486B arrived Rad 18 5,570 09-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Rad