Under the Hood on the E1OM
Yesterday I decided to change the strings on my E1OM (Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze...which sound pretty dang good, FWIW).  While they were off, I figured I'd try my Bertram skills and see what the bracing looked like.  My camera prowess isn't on his level, but I did find a couple interesting things:

Just inside the sound hole, I noticed what appears to be mold:

[Image: 2PgWQd1.jpg]

The bridge plate appears to be sapele/mahogay as opposed to the usual maple.  Not too concerned about this, as its a hardwood, but I figure it's another way they can cut some cost on this model.  The interior isn't quite as clean as what we're used to seeing, but again that doesn’t concern me too much. [Image: rsjp2Pg.jpg]I'm not too concerned about either, the guitar sounds amazing...but I did figure it was curious.  Anyone else see anything like this on their Easties?
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool 

Tree, looks good for a lower cost guitar.  Can't tell if that's mold, doubt it, probably finish stain/white glue of some sort that most people would never see.  The bridge plate is likely to be unfinished rosewood, I've seen that on several Eastmans over the years and a very good choice.

In any type of woodwork there is plenty of perfectly good pieces of wood scrap.  I've read many luthiers talking about using these pieces for misc purpose in construction.  Doing this type of thing is most pragmatic,  probably the origin of the sound hole tongue brace and bridge plate.

I sometimes chuck to myself when I read about people spending huge sums of money for pre-war Martins, most were not built any better than this is what I think.  The + patch at the X brace connection is there for added strength, Martin uses a patch of glued cloth to hide their imperfect X join.

The refinement of standard Eastmans is amazing.  These low cost Eastmans are built as well a many standard products of some other builders is my thought.  Using the higher grade woods for the standard Eastmans is what builders do. The good, but lesser grade wood for these models is why they can build/sell for such low cost... day in the life.
bert
Fret-O'File likes this post
(12-14-2018, 07:40 AM)Bert Wrote: Tree, looks good for a lower cost guitar.  Can't tell if that's mold, doubt it, probably finish stain/white glue of some sort that most people would never see.  The bridge plate is likely to be unfinished rosewood, I've seen that on several Eastmans over the years and a very good choice.

In any type of woodwork there is plenty of perfectly good pieces of wood scrap.  I've read many luthiers talking about using these pieces for misc purpose in construction.  Doing this type of thing is most pragmatic,  probably the origin of the sound hole tongue brace and bridge plate.

I sometimes chuck to myself when I read about people spending huge sums of money for pre-war Martins, most were not built any better than this is what I think.  The + patch at the X brace connection is there for added strength, Martin uses a patch of glued cloth to hide their imperfect X join.

The refinement of standard Eastmans is amazing.  These low cost Eastmans are built as well a many standard products of some other builders is my thought.  Using the higher grade woods for the standard Eastmans is what builders do. The good, but lesser grade wood for these models is why they can build/sell for such low cost... day in the life.
bert

Bert,

Thanks for that!  I agree with everything you said (although I still swear that bridge plate is a mahogany variety!).  I'm amazed at how well put together it is!  No, it's not as "clean" (literally, like dusty, the area around the sound hole), but the joinery and bracing is impeccably smooth.  On a $459 guitar, no less!  They simply do great work.  

I hadn't thought about glue...that's exactly what it may be.  I have had this happen on many projects where I don't get an area clean, and the dust of the shop sticks to it like....well, like glue.  I imagine that's what this is.  

I'm continually amazed at the tone of this guitar.  I truly believe it bests the 000-18 I had a few years ago (which admittedly wasn't that great).
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool 

Treenewt - thanks for sharing the photos!  I like seeing the Eastman handiwork on these lower models... such a great bang for the buck (which is why we're all gathered here, eh?)..

I agree with Bert - that doesn't look like mold on the plate, but maybe some left over glue or reside of some sort.

Glad you are enjoying the E10M and thanks again for the photos!
(12-14-2018, 08:59 AM)Meathead Wrote: Treenewt - thanks for sharing the photos!  I like seeing the Eastman handiwork on these lower models... such a great bang for the buck (which is why we're all gathered here, eh?)..

I agree with Bert - that doesn't look like mold on the plate, but maybe some left over glue or reside of some sort.

Glad you are enjoying the E10M and thanks again for the photos!

Thanks Meathead!  I think Bert is spot on re: the glue.  Funny how our minds go to worst case scenario!
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool 

if it's bothering u - take a small piece of medium fine sand paper to it - glue should be mostly superficial, mold / milldue may penetrate somewhat.
Looks like glue though-
In the busy factory, workers wear gloves to apply stain/glue.  Anything they touch gets a little smudge.  I've never heard of any builder using any form of mahog for a bridge plate, a hardwood but a soft hardwood.  Unfinished rosewood has a much lighter color than when finished.

This is the EIR bridge plate from my former AC530... not to argue because I don't know for sure, just sayin:

[Image: RNWZ9ov.jpg]
Meathead likes this post
(12-14-2018, 09:58 AM)Bert Wrote: In the busy factory, workers wear gloves to apply stain/glue.  Anything they touch gets a little smudge.  I've never heard of any builder using any form of mahog for a bridge plate, a hardwood but a soft hardwood.  Unfinished rosewood has a much lighter color than when finished.

This is the EIR bridge plate from my former AC530... not to argue because I don't know for sure, just sayin:

[Image: RNWZ9ov.jpg]

I'll be dogged if that doesn't look like mahogany to my untrained eye!  But I know this, it looks just like what's on mine, so I'll defer to your expertise, Bert!  Thanks for the pic!
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool 

My former AC708, another EIR bridge plate and....  white glue on the tongue brace at the sound hole.  That explains the white, the stain on your tongue brace might have happened when the luthier was rubbing in the back/side stain?

[Image: dkiPPOv.jpg]
1st one IS mahogany (of a sort) - medulary rays dont present themselves like that in Indian rosewood.
2nd one 'could' be IER but piccie is to vague.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tonal differences between the E1OM and E1OM Special Greg1075 4 1,204 03-28-2024, 06:26 AM
Last Post: guitarlover