Tonal differences between the E1OM and E1OM Special
Has anyone A/B'd both? I'm on the hunt for an OM and have narrowed down my options to the E1OM, E6OM and E10OM - probably the thermo cured versions.

I'm looking to complement my Martin D-15 and E6-SS.
E10OM-TC only because it would add the Adirondack to the mix.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
I do tend to strum more. 
IMO, the special is a little more focused and has less chime. I do prefer the special by quite a lot actually. 

However, I have found that the 6 and 10 OMs have a mid-range growl that is more pronounced in the mahogany than the sapele. 
I also own a 6ss-tc and have been doing similar research to complement it. 

I would be fine with any of the e1om-sp , e6om, and e10om.  I've played the 1's back to back to the 10's and the 10s really do stand out in comparison.
sleigh likes this post
(01-21-2024, 08:52 AM)Greg1075 Wrote: Has anyone A/B'd both? I'm on the hunt for an OM and have narrowed down my options to the E1OM, E6OM and E10OM - probably the thermo cured versions.

I'm looking to complement my Martin D-15 and E6-SS.

Greg, I have not A/B'd all of those guitars, but see my post from this morning on E1OMs. I just had to return a 2022, which allegedly had a torrefied top, and I compared it in the store with several other Eastman guitars, including a few models advertised as having thermo-cure/torrefied tops (sitka, not adi).

My advice to you, if at all possible, would be to get your hands on some of these models and try for yourself. Because in my case, my favourite of the bunch I tried, was a non-torrefied E1OM. You may come to a very different conclusion.
I have a '22 (I believe, bought it used/mint) E 10ss sb & I don't know how it's not torrefied? For how open & responsive it sounds... &  I had a new '23 E 6ss-tc, as well, which also sounded tremendous. It was a matter of trying to keep the stable at a manageable level! Wink Good luck. If choosing in between the OM 1 & Special; I'd probably go for the special, but that is primarily due to preference/or taste. By the way, mine didn't come with the certificate of authenticity. So that's another thing I'd have to dig back on & see what I'd found for year on the E10 OM / but, I'm pretty sure that's what it was~
AlanSam likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on my E1OM Laut 1 242 03-27-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: AlanSam
  Finally here - Eastman E1OM pannick 4 1,702 07-04-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: nobodeuno
  East Indian vs Madagascar Rosewood - Differences Richard Hauser 8 2,740 03-31-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: nobodeuno