Opinions on Relic'd look from the factory? - Eastman SB59
My primary guitar is a 10 Top PRS McCarty 594. The thing is a work of art -- flawless in every way. I'm obsessive about keeping my finishes as close to perfect as possible and I absolutely hate anything relic'd. I was at my local shop the other day to drop the PRS off for some service and happened to notice a black SB59/v hanging on the wall. After getting a closer look at it, I just fell in love with the finish. I would describe it as more aged than relic'd and it's really tastefully done. The one thing I never liked about relic'd finishes is that a lot of them looked way too over the top like the guitar had been utterly abused for its entire life. The SB59/v finish is different. The best way I could describe it would be that it is intended to reflect a well cared for guitar that has aged naturally over time. Needless to say, I took that guitar home with me.
Zeiss, Pura Vida, AlanSam, Lukew like this post
(05-31-2020, 04:15 PM)candidsounds Wrote: I'm in the camp that loves the V finish,  but would rather they come "un-reliced".   I have a 59/V and a T64/V, as well as 3 acoustics that are not reliced, and they are all great guitars.  But I'd rather not have the relicing.  On the T64 the back of the neck was kind of bumpy from artificial wear - I ended up sanding it down because it really bothered me.  Now the guitar is much better, from a playing standpoint.
I agree, I have a T64v as well and I would LOVE it if they made it in a non relic version. I'd buy another one in just a plain nitro if they made it.
2019 T64/v-T-GB
2017 T386
I asked my local dealer (Peach Guitars) if it was possible to get hold of an unrelic-ed SB59/V as I am on the fence about whether I really want to buy a new guitar that looks used. They said that it was possible to put a special order through, but it could take 8 months to arrive. I didn't ask if there was a difference in price, but I'd like to think that it would be a bit cheaper as they would miss out a step in the manufacturing process (the bit with the blunt screwdriver, hammer and sandpaper!)
The antique look is very subtle and there is no blunt screwdriver or hammer used.  I am sure there is sanding between the coats.   Shy
Barnsley Boy - check out Ebay for SB59 Goldburst on sale in Colchester for £1,299.99 or highest offer.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Top man Alan! That's a good tip off. I'm still mulling over models and currently don't have the cash for the one you spotted, but it looks fantastic. Thanks for thinking of me - it really is much appreciated.

My pondering could be a long drawn out process - £2k (or £1600) is a lot of cash to part with so I want to make sure that I am going to be happy with it. I'd also like to try to compare it to the Gibson LP Standard 50's and 60's models. This could be difficult, but I'm gonna take my time over the purchase.

I did get to try the 59v and 59n models briefly today. I was passing Mak's guitars in London and popped in on the off chance. I thought it would be a cut and dried yes I like this one, and no I don't like this one, but they've both got a different feel to them. Ideally I'd buy both, but that's not an option. I thought I would be more blown away by the varnish finish, but the one I tried looked like parts of it had been applied with a brush (and one with course bristles!). I must say though that the Lollar pickups were fantastic. I'm still wondering about trying to get hold of an unrelic-ed version as I'm still on the fence about the "used" feel of the guitar.

One other thing to add, the sunburst one in the shop looked absolutely stunning!!!
Zeiss and AlanSam like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T59v Relic neck finish Silverface 15 3,909 01-20-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: fishingboy