Opinions on Relic'd look from the factory? - Eastman SB59
I'm looking for a good deal on an SB59 as we speak.  I'd like the SB59/V, but like one of the earlier posters said, "I'm old, and I like'em shiny".  Hopefully the tonal differences aren't too great.  

Used ones appear to hold their value really, really well, too.

Bill
Lukew likes this post
Eastman Flame Red T486, Eastman Amber SB59/V, Gibson Tobacco Burst Midtown Custom, Fender Magnificent 7 Tele, Fender Buttercream Roadhouse Strat, Epiphone Cherryburst ES339 Pro w/ P90s, Nickerson Brazilian/Adi FC3, Nickerson Cocobolo/Redwood FC3
(05-21-2020, 04:40 PM)SophisticatedBob Wrote: I'm looking for a good deal on an SB59 as we speak.  I'd like the SB59/V, but like one of the earlier posters said, "I'm old, and I like'em shiny".  Hopefully the tonal differences aren't too great.  

Used ones appear to hold their value really, really well, too.

Bill

Check out the SB59/v GB it is a glorious presentation and there are varying degrees of aging.  In my opinion it is how a burst should look.
AlanSam likes this post
I'm in the camp that loves the V finish,  but would rather they come "un-reliced".   I have a 59/V and a T64/V, as well as 3 acoustics that are not reliced, and they are all great guitars.  But I'd rather not have the relicing.  On the T64 the back of the neck was kind of bumpy from artificial wear - I ended up sanding it down because it really bothered me.  Now the guitar is much better, from a playing standpoint.
Lukew and Zeiss like this post
E20ss, E20OMce, E10SS/v, AR810, T185mx, E10ss00/v, SB59/v, PCH1-OM

The only relic'd guitars I've had got that way from many sweaty nights of playing, and I enjoyed breaking them in and seeing them age from my efforts, but my new t59v is an absolute beauty to look at. I think the hand finishing and varnish are going to break in really nicely and I look forward to adding my own aging through playing. I also prefer nickel hardware to chrome because it ages nicely IMO. No idea whether it sounds different, just like the look. I generally don't like too much bling. I prefer subtle.
sleigh, Pura Vida, Zeiss, Lukew like this post
I just bought a new Eastman T59/v in Red. I had not really seen one in person or up close, but lots of pics of the one I bought. Have never been a fan of the relic look.
When I opened the case I was a bit disappointed with the look of the guitar.
I knew it was relic before I bought it, but I was a fan of the varnish process and the Antiquity pickups. When I plugged it in I was sold. Wow, so resonant. The notes ring out for days. It plays so well. The workmanship looks great, frets are nice, ebony fretboard is dark and smooth.
I’m still not a big fan of the relic process, but I love this guitar.
Zeiss likes this post
Let me start by saying I have never seen a reliced (sp) Eastman of any sort so, my opinion is based on other makes/ models. I’ll be 72 years of age on my next birthday so my thoughts may be antiquated. I would not buy a faux aged guitar because of its looks. If the tone blew my socks off, that’s a different story. With my limited skills, no one would buy the theory that my guitar looks the way it does because I have toured, and gigged that guitar into submission. I myself look more reliced than any guitar I own! If others choose to purchase such an item, more power to them. Back when I was a kid, my jeans were faded, torn (but clean), I was dressing in high fashion and didn’t realize it then. If anyone is interested, I have a tastefully reliced Ram diesel pickup for sale priced in line with with the new 2021 models. I think this forum is great!
Zeiss, Pura Vida, Lukew, AlanSam like this post
Airborne - your taste is as valid as mine. I have to say though that Eastman relic their guitars far better than any other brands, and I love what they do.
Pura Vida and Lukew like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I bought my E10SS/v b/c of the varnish finish, not b/c of the relic'ing done to it.  But seeing it in person, I really like how they did it.  As mentioned, I think they added a couple of limited models with varnish, but non-relic, so maybe they'll continue to move in that direction.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I have a SB59V/GB that has the nicest relic I ever saw on the SB: it looks used, but without the faux scafing on the place where your right arm touches the wood. I don't like shiny guitars much really, although the Romeo is a little shiny.
Pura Vida likes this post
Well, I bought an SB59/v, and didn't think I would like the varnish as much as I do.  I love it.  It is shiny, yes, but does not have a mirror like finish on it.  The varnish is thin, and the guitar rings with sustain acoustically.  Amazing really.  It is smooth to the touch with the lightly relic spots beneath the varnish somehow.  This is without a doubt one of the finest guitars I've ever held. And I've held many in my lifetime.  

Eastman flat hits it out of the park on these models.  

Bill
Lukew, AlanSam, Zeiss, Pura Vida like this post
Eastman Flame Red T486, Eastman Amber SB59/V, Gibson Tobacco Burst Midtown Custom, Fender Magnificent 7 Tele, Fender Buttercream Roadhouse Strat, Epiphone Cherryburst ES339 Pro w/ P90s, Nickerson Brazilian/Adi FC3, Nickerson Cocobolo/Redwood FC3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T59v Relic neck finish Silverface 15 3,919 01-20-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: fishingboy