T59v Relic neck finish
I recently purchased a new T59v online and have a question for other owners.
The rear of the neck has quite a few dings in it which you can feel when playing.
I’ve been told that it is supposed to be like that and is the result the relicing process.
Any other reliced guitars I’ve seen have a smooth ‘worn’ finish.
So are the necks on your T59t’s similar to mine?
This doesn't seem right to me. As far as I am aware, Eastman's relicing is cosmetic and doesn't/shouldn't impact on a guitar's playability. A couple of photos would be good, but I appreciate that this might not be practicable.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Yes, it does seem a little odd to me, that’s why I’d be interested to know if anyone else has a similar issue.
I’ve attached an image of one of the areas on the top of neck.

Attached Files

(06-02-2023, 02:59 PM)Silverface Wrote: Yes, it does seem a little odd to me, that’s why I’d be interested to know if anyone else has a similar issue.
I’ve attached an image of one of the areas on the top of neck.
I have an SB 59 Relic with no dents on the neck nor have i seen this on other Eastman relics.I would say that the dealer is lying to you and it is probably a return or guitar they used in store as a demo.Guitar Center is famous for doing this.I would return it and not do business with that store in the future.
Thanks for the comments. I’ll return the guitar to the dealer. It’s a shame because it plays and sounds great, but I don’t think I can live with that neck finish.
(06-02-2023, 11:33 AM)Silverface Wrote: I recently purchased a new T59v online and have a question for other owners.
The rear of the neck has quite a few dings in it which you can feel when playing.
I’ve been told that it is supposed to be like that and is the result the relicing process.
Any other reliced guitars I’ve seen have a smooth ‘worn’ finish.
So are the necks on your T59t’s similar to mine?
I just picked up a T64/v and, while there is some light relicking elsewhere, the guitar is perfectly smooth in the neck area. I wouldn't be happy at all about dents on the back of the neck. I would send it back too.
Agree with the above, my t59v neck is smooth, feels like silk.
Thanks. I’m not sure what’s happened to this guitar then, it really is beaten up!
The attached image is of the underside of the neck.

Attached Files

To be honest, looking at the picture of the back of the neck, I think that might be genuine from the factory.  It is always hard to tell from photos, but I have seen a wide variety of finish variations on the v series guitars and definitely marks like that on other parts of the guitar. 

I have two v finishes and one has pock marks in the finish which look very authentic.  In fact I would prefer the other one had similar marks, but it doesn't.  Nevertheless they both look fantastic to me, but I was able to see and play them before I bought them.  I should say these marks are not on the neck, but that wouldn't worry me I don't think, unless it was uncomfortable to play. 

Nevertheless, when I was first looking T59/v I rejected one because I didn't like the finish on the head stock, but it was definitely manufactured that way.
I've never seen an Eastman /V distressed down to the bare wood which is what this one looks to be. But as Luke suggests  - each to their own.
Lukew likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opinions on Relic'd look from the factory? - Eastman SB59 Meathead 35 9,950 09-22-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: BarnsleyBoy