Opinions on Relic'd look from the factory? - Eastman SB59
I am curious what folks think the pre-relic'd Eastman electrics?  I admit, I am on the fence on if I would like to have a guitar pre-relic'd for me, in lieu of a flawless guitar without blemishes.  

I played an SB59 Varnish model two weeks ago, and *LOVED* the guitar.  Perfect weight, neck, tone... it was all there.  I can see why SB59 owners are so pleased.  I can't wait to own one someday.  That said, I couldn't decide if I really liked the pre-worn look.  It was done very well and convincing... I guess it is just a matter of opinion.  

Just curious on what EGF thought on the topic... 
Cheers,
Tim
In the acoustic market, I think it's part of the nostalgic, vintage crazy Martin syndrome, with a heavy dose of market hype.  People on the UMGF oogle over the Pre War Guitar Co custom acou$tic guitars.  Level 1,2,3 etc..ehhh uhhh, it's your money.  With the new E10SS/V, the varnish look is outstanding but I would be happy without the spurious relic.

In the hardbody market, it's a very different thing for me.  I think the SB59V is gorgeous and Eastman has hit bingo.  The much smaller body doesn't have the glaring relic appearance, just fits in nicely.

The enthusiast spend enormous sums for ~1939 D18s, I'll take a quality, played-in 10-20 yr old acoustic any day and buy a new car with the change.
I just love concept of lightly reliced guitars. The reason is I scratch, ding or something else my guitar very easily and that's why brand new, shiny guitars drive me crazy. After I put few dings i feel much more comfortable with that guitar.
But I understand that some people buy reliced guitars to look like they giged with them for many years.
That is not my thing but I don't judge, if they enjoy it, let them be.
One more thing, Eastman seems to do very tasteful relic job (not too much).
wheneverifever likes this post
(07-09-2018, 01:24 PM)Jure Wrote: I just love concept of lightly reliced guitars. The reason is I scratch, ding or something else my guitar very easily and that's why brand new, shiny guitars drive me crazy. After I put few dings i feel much more comfortable with that guitar.
But I understand that some people buy reliced guitars to look like they giged with them for many years.
That is not my thing but I don't judge, if they enjoy it, let them be.
One more thing, Eastman seems to do very tasteful relic job (not too much).

Before I saw the Eastman E10ooss/v I would not have countenanced buying an artificially 'aged' guitar. But I saw it, bought it, and am so happy with it! Absolutely great sound, and to me at least, a beautiful looking guitar. All a matter of taste I suppose! AlanSam
Good discussion!  I agree with Bert and like how he separated out the acoustic and solid body production.  Although Eastman has something a little more unique with the varnish series, as players have commented how it's way more responsive with that thinner finish.  I'm not sure if the acoustic is the right fit for me, but I wouldn't hesitate getting one of the SB59v guitars.
Great discussion and can see where there's several schools of thought on this one. Regarding my SB/59-V, it is, by any metric, the best electric guitar I've owned by far. Everything about it, and the looks are a big part of that as well, as I love the look of a guitar that's been played. The 'aged look' on them appears very genuine to my eye--- it looks like a 60 year old guitar that's been played but well cared for. I generally never bought new guitars as I didn't like their looks and I tended to play very cautiously for fear of scratches or play wear--- just approached them with some timidity. Consequently, I didn't sound as good from holding back and being overly careful and cautious.  So, I would buy guitars with a lot of play wear-- thinking if they'd been loved that much, they'd generally have some redeeming playing qualities. And most all of them did.

Tonally, to my ears, there was some difference between the standard nitro SB/59's and the thin varnish SB/59's. The latter was woodier, snappier, more resonant--- maybe it was psychological, but it does sound and feel like an old guitar--- as mentioned above, something I tended to prefer. And when plugged in, the PAF style pickups (SD Antiquities) were much more to my liking. It's one of very few guitars that I didn't want to change the pickups on.

When I first saw the violin and amber varnish models, I went "Wow! I like the looks of that!". And when I first played one I went " Holy Toledo! Holy smokes! Whatever it takes I'm going to own this one!"  And now I'm very grateful that I do.

Lukew likes this post
One of my all time favorite quotes was from Henry Ford when the original Ford Model-T hit the market:

'YOU CAN HAVE IT IN ANY COLOR YOU WANT... AS LONG AS IT'S BLACK'
Hi,

My personal opinion (please note: personal opinion) is the look/concept is not a good idea. ALL the people I hang out (admittedly older folks 40 +, like me Tongue  !) with that I have spoken to about fake aged guitars (and Eastman is not unique in the fake age thing) is it's tacky and emphasizes the fact that most guitar design Eastman is doing is retro. That is, many think they don't have much going on in the new design department.

My personal opinion (again personal) is that Eastman in some nice ways is adjusting the designs ( Wide fingerboards!!! Wink  etc..) and making guitars more handmade-ish that is very appealing from a functional/human point of view FOR ME. I have never played an artificially aged guitar but having played many old guitars; "broken in" is often very good indeed in terms of good old fashioned worn-in, broken-in play ability and opened up tone.

That said, most people I know can't get Eastman and Eastwood straight and generally associate both brands with retro copies so take my point of view with a bit of salt.

And, time has shown I can wear my own guitars in/out, and in a lovely personal way that reflects where I've been.
I think the Eastman Vs are the subtlest, nicest relics out there, but I like ‘em shiny. I particularly dislike “aged” hardware. And varnish is fragile. They’re going to “relic” fast enough on their own. With that said, to each his own, enjoy what you like. I consider myself lucky, I got my SB 59 before the price increase and during a cyber week sale. $1100![Image: a8H8TtX.jpg]
Zeiss and wheneverifever like this post
Sorry, I don't mean to pigeon hole anyone here but this is just TOO good to pass up!

I take good care with my stuff and IMO the "relic" thing just makes the owner look like a careless slob... a git inviting enough for a drunk to stagger onstage and knock it over. What the heck, the owner doesn't treat it right eh?

I let out a particularly loud laugh when I saw my first brand new strat with a cig burn mark under the 6th string between the nut and tuner and the finish worn off the lower bout clear through to the wood.

What's up with that? "Nope I won't smoke because it gives you cancer but the gals in the audience may think I'm a bad ass?" The wearing off the paint is especially good... did that suggest that there was a LOT of practice to get it that way? What if the owner stinks at playing? The practice didn't help?  Arf, arf, arf...

Hey, you guys want a git to get relic job? I'll drag it behind my Silverado in the dirt for a few hundred yards... for FREE! Record it bouncing in the dust and put it on youboob!

Anyway, on the upside you don't have to worry about adding dings of your own with a relic git, but I bet the owners of these STILL treat them with respect. :-)

Maybe a poll is in order?

If you own a Relic git how do you treat it? (check all that apply)

A. I beat the tar out of it... rub it on walls and mic stands and play it to add to its character
B. I treat it like my pristine 1958 ES-335 I just want that bad boy vibe.
C. I play it like any other, if it gets another ding, no biggie.
D. The first thing I do after purchase is drop a thick moving blanket on it and beat the crapenzola out of it with a big steel link chain
E. I watch youboob vids of clowns who beat their stuff up to get ideas on giving it more character
F. Stay in my bedroom where I live at my Mom's house (I'm a 48 year old bachelor) and just look at it
G. I bring to every death metal show that blows through town and have the band members sign it.

Jeez, somebody STOP me! :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T59v Relic neck finish Silverface 15 3,919 01-20-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: fishingboy