NGD: T185MX
After much discussion and almost as much research, I purchased my first semi-hollow guitar this week.  My T185MX arrived this afternoon, and I am extremely pleased with this instrument.

The build quality is excellent, and I mean this in the most positive way possible... it's clear that it's a fully hand-carved body made entirely by human hands.  It has an elegant maple top with a classic brown-red finish.  The body and neck are solid mahogany and rival anything I've seen in their acoustic lines.  The fretboard is jet black ebony with pearl dots that match the headstock, and everything is beautifully encased with flame maple wood binding.  It's rounded out with Gotoh hardware (tuners, bridge, and tailpiece) and a pair of Duncan 59s.

Between reading the warnings of feedback on a solid wood semi-hollow and barely playing any electric guitar in the last 15 years, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I started things off soft and clean, playing directly into my amp with no effects.  But I wanted to take this baby for a ride, so I dug out my old Digitech GNX2 guitar pedal, which offers lots of different voices.  So, I cranked it up (a little bit), and ran it through dozens of sounds.  Great tone, ridiculous sustain, and no feedback issues.  Absolutely fantastic and completely exceeded my expectations!

Incidentally, the seller is an Eastman fan and sold this guitar because he/she just got a T186MX.  And after my last online encounter, I'm happy to report that this seller did a fantastic job with shipping:  string tension loosened, neck and headstock encased in bubble wrap, paper separating the strings from the fretboard, packed in an over-box, plenty of peanuts inside, box marked fragile, etc.  Since everything worked out, I'll be sure to invite him/her to join us on the EGF!

Finally, there's no NGD without photos, right?  I took these earlier today and posted them on my FB page.  But when I uploaded them onto my IMGUR page, they don't look very clear.  So, I'm going to upload them here, but I may take some new ones tomorrow and see if they're any better.

[Image: QKWaBSwh.jpg]

[Image: GvXwHRyh.jpg]

[Image: j6Phq85h.jpg]

[Image: 2r4IgOah.jpg]

[Image: XKUqtpih.jpg]

[Image: MPU5ukeh.jpg]

[Image: n7tCbVjh.jpg]

[Image: RD223yDh.jpg]

[Image: YtBL3kmh.jpg]

[Image: 2y6bQPph.jpg]
Eric Rowland likes this post
PV, huge congratulations, thinlines have a vibe like no other.

To each his own, I love the solid wood element of the T18X models.  No matter what/which guitar we own, there are always tradeoffs of some nature.... solid wood delivers the more pure acoustic vibe.

rock on, I'm still kicking the sand for selling my T184mx.
bert
Thanks, Bert!  It really does have a vibe that I don't remember with any of my previous electric guitars.  Maybe it's that resonance you can feel, when you play it.  It's really comfortable, and having played acoustic for these last few years, I'm really enjoying the 1.75" nut width.  Although smaller boards may be easier for bar chords, my big hands always get jammed up on them, and I sound a little sloppy (more than usual, ha!).
Congratulations, Brian!  Love the color and the flame on the top.  I loved the T185 when I had a chance to play one, I also liked how light weight it was (of course, an attribute of a hollow body).  Gotta love the flamed maple binding on the neck too.  

Enjoy and congrats!!
Thanks, Tim.  The color is interesting b/c it's not necessarily what I would pick as my first choice, but now that I have it, I really like it.  Yes, it's definitely lightweight and extremely comfortable to play.  I've played it through an amp, a small PA system, and headphones... totally impressed with it!

And, yes, I really like the appointments.  The ebony board is jet black, the flame on the top is just right, and the binding is really nice.
Congrats Brian, never could guess it can look this good in this color.
Thanks, Jure. I think it looks even better in person. I may try to get some clearer photos with better lighting.
I just received confirmation today that my T185 cleared the Pomona shop in June 2016.  I can't believe this guitar changed hands at least twice in two years (although the previous owner sold it b/c he got a T186MX).  I think I'll hang onto it for a while!   Smile
Congratulations PV! Looks great!!! I'd be interested in trying one of those some day, if I find a good deal somewhere. Smile
Thanks, JCjazz!  FYI, there's one for auction on eBay, right now (1 day remaining), in case you decide to scratch that itch.

(note: I have no affiliation with the seller, but I've seen this guitar listed elsewhere for much higher)