NGD: T185MX
I have changed the pickups in my 184 to Duncan Phat Cats. I like ‘59s, but have them in an SB59, so did this to get something different. I got something really versatile. With a Blues Cube Stage set up for clean, the 184 goes from mellow and jazzy to biting Twang, with just pickup switch, volume controls and picking attack. These are great guitars, regardless if price. At their selling price, they’re just nuts. I got my 59 before the price increase. I’m wondering what I need to get before the next one. ?
I'm loving my T185MX, although I'm playing it more through headphones than amplification (not much opportunity to wind it out at home, except maybe on the weekend).
PV, take your family over to a Guitar Center  store for a couple hours, they'll  come home happy for you to play through a amp.    Big Grin
Pura Vida likes this post
(08-24-2018, 10:29 AM)Bert Wrote: PV, take your family over to a Guitar Center  store for a couple hours, they'll  come home happy for you to play through a amp.    Big Grin

Every time I go there I cringe thinking of working there.
Regards,

Gary

Heh, heh.  I was going to post that same WW video clip.  They actually don't mind the amp... it's just that my playing time usually happens after the rest of the family is asleep.
By the way, PV, I’ve played my 184 in a loud rock band in a packed room without feedback problems. And a warning - you might want to raise that stop tailpiece a bit. I had mine set like that, and the extreme downward pressure pulled the bridge concave. Very slightly, but enough. In the process, it also pulled the mounting posts toward each other. Necessitating removal, filling of the holes, re-drilling and remounting. Now it has a solid steel bridge so that won’t happen again.

This is not a dig on Eastman. Even Gibsons can do this if the bridge hasn’t been upgraded. Relatively soft metal hardware is common on most guitars.
Thank you. I really appreciate the advice. I normally take new guitars to my luthier for a review and setup, but nothing jumped out at me — action, intonation all seemed fine. But maybe I’ll take it by him for a review and mention the tailpiece positioning. I know that I could do it myself, but this is kinda new territory for me, so maybe we will make the change together in his shop.
It took me two months, but I finally replaced the strings, cleaned the frets and board last weekend.  I didn't realize how much grime was on the board!  And replacing the old strings with a fresh set of D'Addario NYXL 10's made a noticeable improvement in sound, especially unplugged (louder, brighter, more sustain).

A little dark, but before / after cleaning the board:
[Image: CEhgX3Sh.jpg]
Last evening, I took a trip up to see my luthier for a belated inspection.  I always take my guitars to him for a second, more experienced set of eyes... and if he recommends any adjustments or a setup, then I leave it with him for a week to do the work.  I realize that many of you do these things yourself, but I prefer to have his trusted hands working on my guitars.

Anyway, the good news is that everything was ideal.  The neck is perfectly straight, and he wasn't concerned about the low position on the tailpiece.  There's a little opportunity on the nut height, but after playing acoustic, the action on this guitar isn't an issue, so we agreed to leave it unchanged for now.

Everything about this guitar has been fine (playability, tone, intonation, etc.), but it's always nice to get that additional confirmation.