Monel strings on an E6OM
I ordered some Martin Retro Monel strings and put them on my E6OM last night.  I know that some people love these strings, and others not so much - but count me in the "love" category.  I like them, a lot.  To my ear, I like the mid-range and the warmth in tone that these strings bring forward.  They sound great for fingerstyle, and I've already ordered another set to put on my E10TC OM.  It is a little strange to see all sliver colored strings (like an electric), but if you haven't tried 'em yet, give them a shot!
vashondan, Shishigashira, RMH, Glory, sleigh like this post
Tim,

They are the most guitar-specific strings I've ever used, but man, when they work, they work.  My Larrivee OM-03 (sitka and mahogany) sounds FANTASTIC with them.  You hit the nail on the head with the description: " the mid-range and the warmth in tone that these strings bring forward."  Spot on!  I really like the Laurence Juber (true medium) gauge on mine.  I've never cared for them on Rosewood, which seems to fly in the face of a lot of folks' experiences, and not every mahogany guitar I've had sounded good (my old D18).  I think finger style works better with them, to be honest, so that may be the reason?  I want to try them on my E2D soon!
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool 

Interesting observations gentlemen. I have tried them in the past and to be frank - I couldn't get them off fast enough. Then for an experiment I tried a set of the Jubers on an E8D-TC Alpine I used to own. I loved them. I think the comment "they are the most guitar-specific strings" is a very fair statement from my limited experience.

As an aside - I do have a set of Retros on my Composite Acoustics Cargo - small carbon fiber guitar. I use this guitar for travel so it doesn't get a lot of play.  I think they have been on it for over 18 months but probably less than 2 years. Still seem to be going strong.
Treenewt likes this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Tom,

Thanks for sharing that on your E8D.  I know it's not the same size, but it makes me want to try them on my E8OM-TC now!
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool 

(06-09-2022, 08:30 AM)Meathead Wrote: I ordered some Martin Retro Monel strings and put them on my E6OM last night.  I know that some people love these strings, and others not so much - but count me in the "love" category.  I like them, a lot.  To my ear, I like the mid-range and the warmth in tone that these strings bring forward.  They sound great for fingerstyle, and I've already ordered another set to put on my E10TC OM.  It is a little strange to see all sliver colored strings (like an electric), but if you haven't tried 'em yet, give them a shot!

I'm a fan of the monels. I know they are somewhat polarizing. which honestly I don't quite get. I do agree that they are very guitar specific.

I highly suggest them for your E10OM-TC. 

Mine came with the regular D'addario's. Sounded good. I was in a string experimenting phase at the time, so tried some DR Rare's. Sounded better. A couple days ago I finally put a set of Retro's on. My immediate reaction was "there it is, there's the guitar I was hoping for."
Roger
I used them on my E10OM and loved them.  They're also on my 0018.  I've oft wondered how they would sound with Rosewood but hate changing strings so haven't experimented.
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
If you like Martin Retro then also try D'Addario Nickel Bronze.

They are similar. Differences are subtle.

I slightly preferred the D'Addario NB.

YMMV
================================
Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
================================
Thanks all for the feedback.  Treenewt - I am also using the Juber gauge on mine.  R22 - yes, my new pack of retros arrives today, and I will be placing them on my TC model... looking forward to hearing how they sound.
Funny, I tried D'Add NB (but gravitated back to PB strings), but could never stand the Monels.  I think both of those strings work well for more fundamental instruments, so Tim's E6OM is a great candidate for them.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(06-10-2022, 12:43 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Funny, I tried D'Add NB (but gravitated back to PB strings), but could never stand the Monels.  I think both of those strings work well for more fundamental instruments, so Tim's E6OM is a great candidate for them.

What guitars have you tried them on? 

I've never tried them with RW, because I don't own any guitars with RW. I hear that that's not a great match. 

But hey, I did try the DR Rare's thanks to you. I liked them. I will probably try them again, although I think I want try some 80/20's next. 

I tried  the NB's and didn't care for them at all. That was on my now departed OM18V. Too zingy for me.
Roger

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Monel strings on an E10 OM-TC Meathead 12 2,611 04-27-2023, 02:50 AM
Last Post: ThemisSal