Monel strings on an E6OM
Tom - I am super interested in your observations. As we all know, tone is subjective, so perhaps you really enjoy the strings (or not?)

Keep us posted.

Tim
Timelessdrifter likes this post
(04-11-2024, 09:15 AM)Meathead Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 09:16 PM)Timelessdrifter Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 06:55 AM)Meathead Wrote: Re: Santa Cruz PB - yes, same concept as the Tommy strings. The Tommy strings are a better deal for the buck in my opinion!

They look like a good deal. Same price point, give or take a dollar) as DR Sunbeams that were my go to strings. How do they sound compared to a PB set of the same gauge, non-parabolic?  

I think they are slightly less pronounced tonewise vs a PB set. I assume due to the reduced tension? For me, the trade off is worth it as I am almost 100 percent fingerstyle. I would not get the Tommy strings for rhythm and strumming work. Fingerstyle? Absolutely. 

Tim requested a follow up of the Tommy strings on an OM-18V for strumming. It has only been two weeks, but I think they are a no. Something seems missing with the guitar. I will try them a little more and then maybe move on to my standard mahogany choice - DR Rare PB Lights or maybe a set of Retros I have laying around. To be continued.
Meathead and Timelessdrifter like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(04-08-2024, 08:50 AM)sleigh Wrote: I might try the Pearse Pure Nickel. I tried the Monel and didn't care for them.

Speaking of pure nickel strings, is there any reason an electric set of DR Pure Blues (pure nickel, round core) with a wound 3rd string wouldn't work? Assuming they're correct gauge 12-52, they should sound okay I would think.

Anyone every try this (or other set of pure nickel electrics)?
PRS SE P20 Parlor
PRS SE P50E Parlor
Eastman E10OO-TC 12-fret
Eastman E6OM-TC
Electric: Too many!
(04-19-2024, 08:34 PM)TomC Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 09:15 AM)Meathead Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 09:16 PM)Timelessdrifter Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 06:55 AM)Meathead Wrote: Re: Santa Cruz PB - yes, same concept as the Tommy strings. The Tommy strings are a better deal for the buck in my opinion!

They look like a good deal. Same price point, give or take a dollar) as DR Sunbeams that were my go to strings. How do they sound compared to a PB set of the same gauge, non-parabolic?   

I think they are slightly less pronounced tonewise vs a PB set. I assume due to the reduced tension? For me, the trade off is worth it as I am almost 100 percent fingerstyle. I would not get the Tommy strings for rhythm and strumming work. Fingerstyle? Absolutely.  

Tim requested a follow up of the Tommy strings on an OM-18V for strumming. It has only been two weeks, but I think they are a no. Something seems missing with the guitar. I will try them a little more and then maybe move on to my standard mahogany choice - DR Rare PB Lights or maybe a set of Retros I have laying around. To be continued. 

Thanks for the follow-up Tom; specific to those strings for strumming, that would match my expectations. Fingerstyle however, I think they could be worth the trade-off of tone for playability.
One more follow-up. I took the Tommy strings off of my Martin OM-18V. Again the only reason is that I thought the guitar had more to offer. I put on a set of Martin Retro 12-54. They are made from Monel steel - nickel/copper alloy. Over the last year or so I have been trying more nickel/nickel alloy strings. Originally I did not like them because to me they sounded a little zingy and metallic at first. I never had the patience to leave them on past a few days. Now I just throw a Tone Traveler on for a couple of days and it takes the zing right out of them. IMHO - the monels are a more suitable string for this guitar. They have better volume, more balanced and not as strong in the over-tones. Eventually I will get around to trying a set of DR Rares on this guitar, but for now the Retros are more than acceptable.

As a side note - I am trying a set of John Pearse Pure Nickel mediums on an Atkin 000-37 (torrefied Sitka/Rosewood). The Atkin has the aged finish - very finely checked. It has an almost broken in tone to it. The Pure Nickels are perfect for this guitar. The mediums give up very good bass with a nice sparkle to the trebles. The overtones aren't over powering. It just suits that old broken in tone. I have also used D'Addario's Nickel Bronze 12-53 on my Eastman E20SSv.(It's kind of for sale if anyone is interested). The NBs really brought out some good old almost Gibsonish tone on this guitar. That is three different guitars with nickel alloy strings that I previously never liked. Maybe my preferences are changing. Or my hearing.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Monel strings on an E10 OM-TC Meathead 12 2,611 04-27-2023, 02:50 AM
Last Post: ThemisSal