Monel strings on an E6OM
Roger, I don't remember the specific models, as it was a few years ago.  But I tried them on Rosewood twice....  it killed the tone both times, and I couldn't get them off fast enough.  I tried them on Mahogany twice.  Once was the same reaction and took them off quickly, but the other time, I left them on longer b/c everyone said that they got better in time.  For me, they didn't.  Just not my thing, but as you can read here, they are great for others' ears.

D'Add NB and EB Aluminum Bronze both seem to start off really bright and zingy, as you say.  But then the NB really settle out fast, like an 80/20 string.  EB AB's settle out, but have more warmth.  GHS PB lights and DR Rare have really become my go-to strings.  And this is what makes strings a fun, cheap, and easy way to experiment.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Not for me, thanks. I tried monels on Martins and my Gurian back in my days of trying every string known to man, and they stood out as simply terrible for me. They sounded interestingly, strangely dry and woody for most of a single day before wearing into a dull, "warm" (as in "almost no harmonics") sound. I know some swear by 'em (Tony Rice; can't agrue with that) but for my playing (bluegrass with a flatpick, but also general voice accompaniment, also flatpicked) they truly sucked. I sometimes use guitars/strings with strong fundamentals in order not to get too harmonically busy behind a singer, so I can like that sound, but in my experience with monels they sounded lifeless.
Pura Vida likes this post
(06-11-2022, 10:51 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Roger, I don't remember the specific models, as it was a few years ago.  But I tried them on Rosewood twice....  it killed the tone both times, and I couldn't get them off fast enough.  I tried them on Mahogany twice.  Once was the same reaction and took them off quickly, but the other time, I left them on longer b/c everyone said that they got better in time.  For me, they didn't.  Just not my thing, but as you can read here, they are great for others' ears.

D'Add NB and EB Aluminum Bronze both seem to start off really bright and zingy, as you say.  But then the NB really settle out fast, like an 80/20 string.  EB AB's settle out, but have more warmth.  GHS PB lights and DR Rare have really become my go-to strings.  And this is what makes strings a fun, cheap, and easy way to experiment.

How do the NB’s, after settling down, compare to Rares?
John, apologies for the delayed reply.  I would describe them as flattening/mellowing out, where they lose the new string brightness.  NB, Pure Nickel, AB... they are all stronger in the fundamentals, but won't have the same warmth and overtones that DR Rare (or other PB strings have).  Hope that helps!
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(06-22-2022, 10:21 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: John, apologies for the delayed reply.  I would describe them as flattening/mellowing out, where they lose the new string brightness.  NB, Pure Nickel, AB... they are all stronger in the fundamentals, but won't have the same warmth and overtones that DR Rare (or other PB strings have).  Hope that helps!

Certainly does, thank you so much.
I just got in some Newtone Monels. Never tried monels before, I would say 85/15 is the warmest string I've tried. Even if I hate them I'm going to at least leave them on for a couple weeks, to see how they break in and change ect.
I know I'm late to the game, necro-posting, but I wanted to add my experiences with my most recent addition, a '23 E6OM-TC.

I bought it from a great dealer. Small shop, both brick and mortar and online and received a fair deal on it. Anyway, I didn't know it came with a free setup incl. strings of choice.

There was a miscommunication of sorts and the guitar came with D'Addario Nickel-bronze 11-52.

First reaction was I hated them. Couldn't get them off quick enough. I thought I'd play them for a while and then try my favorite DR Sunbeams. Four weeks later, I was getting used to them, but they were thin and harsh. Nothing like the nickel strings I'm used to on my electrics. I guess I was expecting something warmer sounding.

I installed a set of DR Sunbeams, and they were okay, but just didn't sound good on this guitar.After reading here about Martin Retro Monels, I bought a set and installed them. I knew, after the first 10 minutes that I was on to something. Maybe all the talk about them was right?

Three weeks in and the Retros are sounding great. After trying D'Addario Nickel-bronze and DR Sunbeams, I think the Retro Monels are the strings for this guitar.

Now, should I try them on my E10OO-TC? Hmmm...
AlanSam likes this post
PRS SE P20 Parlor
PRS SE P50E Parlor
Eastman E10OO-TC 12-fret
Eastman E6OM-TC
Electric: Too many!
Drifter you are definitely onto something with Retro Strings. I've used them since I bought my first 15 series 7 years ago. Since then I've had them on all my guitars at one time or another including my E20. They even sounded good on a rosewood guitar.

Now I mix in Santa Cruz low tension parabolic strings and have them on all guitars except the 00-18 which retro lights still sound the best. You should definitely try them on your E10 00. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Timelessdrifter likes this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
I use Monel Retros 12 on my E10-SS and my AC522-SB - that string excels at bringing out the full range - deep lows and clear mids - of the mahogany sound. I've tried many others, but always come back to Monels.
Meathead, Timelessdrifter, sleigh like this post
2021 Eastman E10SS (Mahogany/Adirondack spruce)
2023 Eastman AC522CE-GB (Mahogany/European Spruce) 
I recently received a set of John Pearse Pure Nickels. I put them on a recent 000 adirondack/rosewood and surprised myself at how good they sounded. I also like them on my E20SSv. Usually I am not a fan of nickel/monel/nickel bronze strings. In conclusion - try the John Pearse Pure Nickels as well.
Timelessdrifter and sleigh like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Monel strings on an E10 OM-TC Meathead 12 2,612 04-27-2023, 02:50 AM
Last Post: ThemisSal