Monel strings on an E6OM
I might try the Pearse Pure Nickel. I tried the Monel and didn't care for them.
Timelessdrifter likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I liked Monel strings but admit they don't work for every guitar. My new current favorite strings are the Martin Tommy Emmanuel reduced tension strings.
Timelessdrifter and sleigh like this post
(04-07-2024, 11:20 AM)sagebrush tom Wrote: Drifter you are definitely onto something with Retro Strings. I've used them since I bought my first 15 series 7 years ago. Since then I've had them on all my guitars at one time or another including my E20. They even sounded good on a rosewood guitar.

Now I mix in Santa Cruz low tension parabolic strings and have them on all guitars except the 00-18 which retro lights still sound the best. You should definitely try them on your E10 00. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for the reply!

Since posting a few days ago, the guitar and strings are undergoing what I can only call a metamorphosis. Bass is deeper, mids are more refined, more clear, and the highs are roughly the same (likely due to only one wound string).

I'm also surprised to find that the Retros, on this guitar, like to be played hard. Played with fingers, lightly with a pick, or really digging in, the guitar and string are happy to oblige.

Those Santa Cruz Parabolics... I take it they're the same concept (smaller core, more wrap) as Martin Tommy Emmanuel signatures?
sagebrush tom likes this post
PRS SE P20 Parlor
PRS SE P50E Parlor
Eastman E10OO-TC 12-fret
Eastman E6OM-TC
Electric: Too many!
Re: Santa Cruz PB - yes, same concept as the Tommy strings. The Tommy strings are a better deal for the buck in my opinion!
sleigh and Timelessdrifter like this post
(04-09-2024, 06:55 AM)Meathead Wrote: Re: Santa Cruz PB - yes, same concept as the Tommy strings. The Tommy strings are a better deal for the buck in my opinion!

You guys might also be interested in Straight Up Strings -  https://straightupstrings.com/ Roger Siminoff was involved in the development of Santa Cruz Parabolics. SUS are about 1/2 the price of the Santa Cruz - $11/set or $29/3 pack.

I have tried both. They seem relatively equivalent, but I really like fresh strings and tend to change them frequently (2-3 months). The longer life advantage doesn't pay off for me. 

One side note - both the SC Parabolics and SUS strings seemed (to me) subdued when first installed. They actually really improve in sustain and overtones after a few days. Just my experience. Has anyone else experienced the same?
sleigh and Timelessdrifter like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(04-09-2024, 06:55 AM)Meathead Wrote: Re: Santa Cruz PB - yes, same concept as the Tommy strings. The Tommy strings are a better deal for the buck in my opinion!

They look like a good deal. Same price point, give or take a dollar) as DR Sunbeams that were my go to strings. How do they sound compared to a PB set of the same gauge, non-parabolic?
PRS SE P20 Parlor
PRS SE P50E Parlor
Eastman E10OO-TC 12-fret
Eastman E6OM-TC
Electric: Too many!
(04-09-2024, 09:50 AM)TomC Wrote: One side note - both the SC Parabolics and SUS strings seemed (to me) subdued when first installed. They actually really improve in sustain and overtones after a few days. Just my experience. Has anyone else experienced the same? 

I’ve only used the SC Parabolics and had the same experience. Dead sounding when new, so much that I put the guitar away until I was ready to swap out the strings. I hate changing strings and have plenty of guitars, so I didn’t get back to swap the strings for quite some time.  The strings sounded much better so I left them on. But will still be going back to the Newtone Monel strings I usually use on that guitar.
When it comes to tone on my guitars, I don't skimp on strings as I've found good sounding strings do cost more and are well worth it. Martin Retro strings are an exception to the rule as they are priced mid-range and do last a long while. Both Retros and SCGC parabolic both sound bad when first put on but will settle in a week or so. 

I tried Tommy Emmanuel's choice 12's strings on three of my guitars and they sounded fine but didn't produce the tone I was looking for as my Retros and Parabolic strings provide. I didn't get the life out of Tommy's as I do with the Low Tension Parabolics. YMMV.
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
(04-09-2024, 09:16 PM)Timelessdrifter Wrote:

They look like a good deal. Same price point, give or take a dollar) as DR Sunbeams that were my go to strings. How do they sound compared to a PB set of the same gauge, non-parabolic? 

I think they are slightly less pronounced tonewise vs a PB set. I assume due to the reduced tension? For me, the trade off is worth it as I am almost 100 percent fingerstyle. I would not get the Tommy strings for rhythm and strumming work. Fingerstyle? Absolutely.
Interesting observation Tim. I wish I would have read this an hour ago. I just put a set on a Martin OM18V. Personally I don't remember how even ended up with them. I am definitely not a finger player. We will see how they sound in a few days.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Monel strings on an E10 OM-TC Meathead 12 2,611 04-27-2023, 02:50 AM
Last Post: ThemisSal