a longtime Martin player goes East(man)
My first really good acoustic was a Martin 00-21, purchased new back in 1974 or so. Had that guitar as my only acoustic for a couple of decades, then I switched to playing mostly bass and sold it. After a few years picked up an OM-21 and had that for another decade or so. Fast forward to last year and getting back into some solo guitar gigs, cycled through a couple Taylors, Furchs, and Martins, finally keeping an OM-28e Modern Deluxe. Actually a very good guitar, and the built-in Fishman Aura system sounds great.

But then I discovered square neck resonator, started working up most of my book on that and acoustic moved back to the back burner again. Recently added some formal jazz guitar study (I've been gigging as a jazz bassist for almost 30 years now) so I decided to experiment with some hollow-bodies (see other forum). I don't have infinite budget and try to keep a one in-one out strategy. Plus adding hollow bodies meant something had to give. Eastmans get a lot of praise so I figured I could sell the Martin and pick up an Eastman OM to cover the acoustic base while funding a jazz box. Called up LA Guitar Sales (they are semi-local to me) and an E10OM-TC was on its way.

It landed a few days ago, and so far so good. The Martin is up for sale, so clearly the Eastman is punching above its weight. I need to shave the saddle a bit and sort out a pickup solution but that's all expected. I can say that the E10OM-TC has a very nice set of overtones and incredible sustain - perhaps better than the Martin. While I've typically been a rosewood kinda guy, the recordings I heard of the E10OM-TC indicated it was a bit richer than a typical mahogany guitar.

Pics or it didn't happen - fun so far.

[Image: eastmans-800-2.jpeg][Image: eastmans-800-3.jpeg]
Shishigashira, SasquatchLife, Pura Vida, TomC, sleigh, Ritchie, Victor Vector like this post
Eastman AR880CE | AR580CE | E10OM-TC | Comins GCS-1 Bigsby | Fender Ultra Strat | Beard Radio R Standard Hipshot 
Fodera and Nordstrand fretted - Rob Allen and Nordstrand fretless basses

www.nostatic.com 
” sometimes science is more art than science…”   -Rick Sanchez
Congratulations nostatic!

Perhaps that has to be the EGF's new motto: Go East young man! Smile

Enjoy your E10!

Rod
Aahzz likes this post
Congrats.  That's a beautiful E10OM-TC!  Glad you found our forum too.  Smile
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Eastmans definitely punch above their weight!
Victor Vector likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Hah...punch above their weight they do! The David's in the guitar world of Goliath's. 

Congrats on the new axe and welcome....lookin' good!
"So many guitars.....so little time" 

2010 Eastman E8D
2011 Eastman MD315
2018 Cordoba C12 Luthier Series
2023 Gretsch Jim Dandy (Gin Rickey)
2007 PRS Custom SE
2007 Fender MIM (Pre-Player) Strat 
2013 Gibson Studio Goldtop
2014 Epiphone Joe Bonamasa Sig LP
Marshall DSL C 40 
Marshall JMD 50

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJagXI...jWqhuN7XeA   https://audiomack.com/victor-vector-1   https://soundcloud.com/shortymack    
I love my Eastman guitars ... but then, my Martin has something special ... best situation is to have both!
sleigh and Pura Vida like this post
2021 Eastman AC622CE
2020 Eastman E40OM
2020 Eastman AC308CE (Limited Edition)
2020 Martin HD-28
2021 Eastman PCH3-GACE
2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio, wine red
1999 Taylor 714 custom, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
Welcome and congratulations nostic! It's been said before, and I know it's not the most important consideration, but Eastman guitars look so damn good. Just compare the mahogany on them with Martins. Martin uses so called 'true' mahogany on their top ranges of guitars, and this mostly looks rather bland. Whereas Eastman uses Khaya aka African mahogany. which tends to have more figuring - better looking but apparently can be more difficult to work. As we know, Eastman also use Sapele, which I am less keen on visually. It pleases me that Eastman mostly differentiate between Khaya which it calls Mahogany, and Sapele. Sapele is quite a bit denser, heavier and harder than both Khaya and 'true' mahogany, which are very similar to each other, including sonically.
Pura Vida and Shishigashira like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Did the tone test with the wife today, playing E10OM-TC and OM28e MD back to back. She’s done this with a bunch of basses and guitars over the years, and has heard me practice and play at hundreds of gigs so her ear is tuned in. She preferred the E10, saying she thought it was more balanced from treble through bass notes. Finger style was a clear win, strummed was a closer call. Part of that is likely due to the shorter scale plus I tune a half step flat so tension is fairly low.

Now to sort out a pickup…where’s that drill?  Smile
sleigh, Pura Vida, AlanSam, SasquatchLife, Guzzi Fan like this post
Eastman AR880CE | AR580CE | E10OM-TC | Comins GCS-1 Bigsby | Fender Ultra Strat | Beard Radio R Standard Hipshot 
Fodera and Nordstrand fretted - Rob Allen and Nordstrand fretless basses

www.nostatic.com 
” sometimes science is more art than science…”   -Rick Sanchez
The mahogany will be richer and warmer, broader, more resonant than the rosewood on the Martin.

But that’s saying a lot, the Martin is a serious acoustic guitar. Enjoy.
2021 Eastman AC622CE
2020 Eastman E40OM
2020 Eastman AC308CE (Limited Edition)
2020 Martin HD-28
2021 Eastman PCH3-GACE
2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio, wine red
1999 Taylor 714 custom, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
FWIW, I'm very pleased with the K&K Pure Mini pickups, though it helps if you use a pre-amp in louder situations. But you don't have to worry about battery replacement with the Pure Minis. I put a Schatten passive in one guitar b/c of the ease of installation (no super glue needed) but the output, even with a pre-amp, is lower than the K&Ks—too low in my opinion. 

But there are lots of PU options out there.
DonO and Pura Vida like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  East Indian vs Madagascar Rosewood - Differences Richard Hauser 8 2,894 03-31-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: nobodeuno