T386 vs. T486
Currently the 486 is just a fancier looking 386 with slightly better pickups, but the 386 and 486 *used* to be pretty different platforms.

In addition to the pickup differences, the wood in the older 386 differs from the 486. Before Eastman switched to using maple laminate in the 386es they were using mahogany for the back and sides with rosewood for the fretboard. I'm not sure if the neck wood was maple or mahogany. These had a pretty big impact on the sound between the two models.

The 486 is essentially a clone of Gibson's 355, where the 386 is (or was) a clone of the 335.
I own both, bought the T486 prior to buying a T386 second hand.

Physical differences are rosewood (T386) vs ebony (T486) fingerboards, fancier binding and inlays on the T486, and the T386 being lighter in weight. I was surprised by how hefty the T486 was while standing up. It's no Les Paul, but the weight is more like a chambered LP.

I've since swapped out the SDs in the T486 for Fralin Twangmasters. I play blues, funk, soul, pop and rock. I found the Jazz too dark, and the '59 weirdly fizzy. I could never truly dial that weird top end out regardless of amp, pedal settings etc. The Twangmasters have single coil bite, but retain humbucker warmth.

I like the Kent Armstrongs in the T386. Yeah, they do exhibit that mid-range honkiness that some humbuckers have, but by lowering the neck pickup and raising the pole pieces somewhat I can get a very righteous jazz tone, and a very convincing BB King sound. Bridge pickup is not overtly bright, which is a problem I observe with a lot of dual humbucker guitars. Articulation is fantastic, let me see if I can find a video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B229MbmHON5/..._copy_link

Here you go!
Pura Vida likes this post
Really interesting to hear your question and observation, Adam. 

I have a t386 - it was a bit different when it arrived compared to what I thought I was buying. Purchased online - the shop was great but the guitar had a few differences v's the specs and photo on the store. It was more red than the brown violin finish I was expecting and it had an ebony board rather than rosewood. 
I put a set of Seth Lovers in it - it was an absolute trial of a task - but I managed it eventually. So it's essentially a t386 with ebony board and SD Seth Lovers.

I have been gassing for an ES330 - and considering the Eastman's to cover this - considering whether or not to sell this t386 - but what I have real difficulty with is this - am I going to regret flipping this guitar? I'm a big Old Ibanez fan and had a few semi-hollows AS100, Gibby 339, various models over the years. This is a better sounding and playing instrument than all of these - and it's very light by comparison. It has a wide tonal palette with the Seths and I think it's probably the best sounding guitar I've ever owned - 40yrs of playing. 

I noticed yourself and a couple of others observing something similar with their t386 v's the other models. 

My humble t386 - it really is a corker - and I struggle with the idea that I might not find anything better tbh - I can't see past it despite the old gas.
AlanSam likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman T386 or T486 Bigsby retrofit? Meathead 8 3,186 07-07-2022, 07:59 AM
Last Post: CapeGearMusic
  T386 or T486 Drakaland 11 8,258 05-23-2021, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Drakaland