T386 or T486
Hi there,

I've been researching both of these models for a few months now. I prefer the look of the T386 (plain top classic color instead of Flame top) but I read that folks often feel the picks ups should be changed out eventually. The T486 has Seymore Duncan pick ups but I've also read some folks change those out too, in which case the price becomes much wider. Eastman's are difficult to find where I'm located and due to covid, it makes it even tougher.

Any thoughts and recommendations between the two models?  I have listened to demos and with my lack of experience, I really can't make a solid judgement there.
Definitely T486. Look at it this way, the T386 would be the Chevy while the T486 is the Cadillac.
You get what you pay for. Having said that, different guitars appeal to different people. Get the one which appeals to you, can't go wrong.
Drakaland likes this post
Here is a Youtube link that has a comparison of the T386, T486, and T59. I like the sound of the T486 the best. I may eventually change the pickups in my T386.

John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xk7i2iVgrk
The only difference between them are aesthetics and the pickups.  If you like the look of the T386 better, then get that and you can still get new pickups and be less than the 486.  I had a 386 and actually liked the pickups.  They're PAF style and lower output, but I thought they sounded good.  I only sold mine (recently) because I pretty much only play acoustic now and didn't want it sitting around in the case since I don't collect.  And the 386 classic finish is breathtaking (to me) in person.
Drakaland, Pura Vida, rpg51 like this post
Eastman:
Soon... I don't know what I was thinking

Non-Eastman:
2005 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
Martin 000 Jr.
Thanks for the replies everyone. This is helpful. I really do prefer the look of the classic finish T386 (I'm not sure that's typical I know people love the flame tops and the extra binding) so I am leaning that way, thinking I'd change the pickups in the future if I needed to.  For some reason I also prefer the dot inlays. I don't know why, I do recognize the block inlays are more decorative and that the T486 is more detailed overall.  I know the sound and feel is what's important but vibe is important to me as well. I guess the other issue is future sale on a used guitar. The T486 might be more sought after if I ever decided to sell (not likely since I tend to keep my guitars, but you never know). 

I'll give it some more thought over the next short period.
K I went outside and did some yard work, then came back in and ended up pulling the trigger on a new T386 Classic instead of the T486 on Reverb before someone else nabbed it. Maybe in the future when I come into some money I'll pick up a T486 as well.
AlanSam, Pura Vida, NoiseFloor like this post
Woohoo! I love that classic color too, even more than my red. I hope you enjoy it!

John
Just wanted to say that I've had the T386 Classic for about a week and half now. It's just beautiful. I can't find a flaw on the finish. The fret ends are also super smooth and even beats my 2011 America Deluxe Tele in that respect.  And it sounds amazing. So much different than the other solid body electric guitars I've played. It just sings and it's easy to play. It also seems to have a wider fret board than my other guitars, which is great for my big hands. There is some fret buzz here and there but the action seems low. At some point I'll bring it in and get it looked at. It also stays in tune as well as my tele. But I'm wondering if the the NYXL strings have something to do with that. I'm used to Elixers but I like these strings and the shop owner threw in a new extra pair as well.  

The only negative I'd mention is the size of the guitar isn't something I'm used to. I play guitar mostly always sitting in the classical style, with the guitar body sitting between my legs and the weight of it on my left leg (right handed player).  I've tried many times to play like most other folks with the guitar on my right leg but my body doesn't like that  and I find it twists and hurts my back. Just how I'm built I guess. But the larger body is def something I need to get used to and it's a bit of work holding it for more than an hour, but using a tight strap helps.
Congrats on the T386.  Feel free to post some photos, when you have a moment.  I really like the NYXL strings, which I have on my T185MX.  Sorry I can't offer any advice on the playing position / comfort.  Maybe others have some suggestions.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I felt the same and like the dot fingerboard and wanted RED ! And the neck carve is perfect , do wish the nut was a little thinner but still one of my favorite guitars !!!
I did change the pickups and wiring along the way . Not saying it's necessary at all , I happened to have a Les Paul wiring harness and Gibson 57 pickups siting so why not .
I don't think there's a guitar out there that can compare to the 386/486 for the money or for twice the money actually.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T386 vs. T486 adamdaviddavis 12 21,142 04-01-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Jozie
  Eastman T386 or T486 Bigsby retrofit? Meathead 8 3,189 07-07-2022, 07:59 AM
Last Post: CapeGearMusic