Strap Button / End pin
Hi all

I was thinking of adding a strap button to my E10SS so I can play standing also to practise that way if I feel like. 

I don't particularly trust the one already in place at the bottom of the Guitar to be honest. hasn't come loose but the one on my E8OM did. I can just pull it out. which is no big deal as long is I don't use a strap. 

the ones pre-installed on my 2014 Faith look very robust and safe. screwed in. nice touch. See pics.

Any of you added strap buttons to your Eastman's? if so, did you change the one on the bottom? any recommendations?

Sorry might be a stupid question but I never had to add a strap Button. Guess the "end pins" on my Eastman aren't really "Buttons" but rather cosmetic to "hide" the hole for electronics maybe. which is fine.

I bring up the issue with the Guitar tech in the shop next time I drop in but thought I ask here first  Tongue

PS: interesting that my Eastman don't share the same end pin.  Huh

cheers 
Mitch

ok I have found a similar thread by Steve. Should have checked first. Sorry

https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Thread...rap+button

Attached Files

„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
I haven't added any to my guitars, but the endpin on one of my E10's was slightly loose when it arrived.  I put about half a wrap of painter's tape on it and reinserted it.  That tiny amount of extra width and friction made it extremely difficult to remove.
sleigh and Mitch like this post
Mitch --

I always play with a strap attached, so yes I've had to add a strap button to the heel in each of my Eastmans. It's easy enough. Just go slowly and be careful as you drill the pilot hole.

The end pins aren't cosmetic; if you're someone who prefer to tie their strap to the head of the guitar, you still need the end pin for the bottom of the strap. I don't like to tie the strap to the head myself — I think it puts too much strain on the neck and can (and does) pull the guitar out of tune if you put pressure on the neck. That why I add a strap button to the heel. On all the Eastmans I've owned the end pins were held in by friction; removing them reveals a hole, yes, but (in my experience) it's not quite large enough to put in an electronic option. You'd still have to ream it out a little larger. I've added pick-ups to all of mine as well.
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(06-07-2022, 11:28 AM)sleigh Wrote: Mitch --

I always play with a strap attached, so yes I've had to add a strap button to the heel in each of my Eastmans. It's easy enough. Just go slowly and be careful as you drill the pilot hole.

The end pins aren't cosmetic; if you're someone who prefer to tie their strap to the head of the guitar, you still need the end pin for the bottom of the strap. I don't like to tie the strap to the head myself — I think it puts too much strain on the neck and can (and does) pull the guitar out of tune if you put pressure on the neck. That why I add a strap button to the heel. On all the Eastmans I've owned the end pins were held in by friction; removing them reveals a hole, yes, but (in my experience) it's not quite large enough to put in an electronic option. You'd still have to ream it out a little larger. I've added pick-ups to all of mine as well.

Thanks Steve

By ‚cosmetic‘ I meant it is just to cover the hole, I wouldn’t attach my strap to the Eastman end pin, I would like it to be a bit safer, better fixed, like on my Faith were both buttons are screwed in. That is what I was refering to. 

so you added the pin at the heel and kept the original end pin? No replacement? Ok, seems to be ‚safe‘ then. I‘m just worried that end pin wont hold. Also the one on my E10SS is quite small. Compared to the other Guitars.

might worry too much. 

cheers
Mitch --

"so you added the pin at the heel and kept the original end pin?" No. I took out the end pin, reamed out the hole to the necessary dimensions, and put in the input jack where the end pin used to be. But my original end pins were all tight and solid enough that I wouldn't have hesitated to use them for the strap if I hadn't gone with a pickup.
Mitch likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Mitch, I had a loose end pin on my E10SS/v.  Someone gave me the tip to use a small piece of a surgical glove, and twist the pin back in.  It's better than gluing it, and doesn't disintegrate like tape.  I don't have electronics in any of my guitars, except the two that came with it, so I haven't had to replace any of my end pins, nor have I installed a pin on the heel.
sleigh and Mitch like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(06-07-2022, 07:18 PM)sleigh Wrote: Mitch --

"so you added the pin at the heel and kept the original end pin?" No. I took out the end pin, reamed out the hole to the necessary dimensions, and put in the input jack where the end pin used to be. But my original end pins were all tight and solid enough that I wouldn't have hesitated to use them for the strap if I hadn't gone with a pickup.

ah cheers Steve, sorry didn't get it in the first place.

I blame the language and the late coming home from the soccer game last night (and we lost  Angry). he he

alright. I'll add that heel pin and go from there. thank you!

PS: nice touch from Faith with the heel pin already installed. Also both pins being screwed in. not many Guitars come that way.
sleigh likes this post
Question for the group...

Do manufacturers put screwed-in strap pins where the end pin usually goes? I've never seen that before.

In fact, I can't recall ever seeing a guitar that would allow for a screw to be used at that location. They all have holes for end pins, no?
================================
Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
================================
Although there are exceptions to every rule, I haven't seen screws.  Only the holes with the removable end pin.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
A little wood glue in the end pin is what I usually do.
Those pins are meant to be friction fit.
Using tape or glove will work.
I really like the way some makers put a reinforcing block for the strap button at the neck.
Guild does this.
The button is actually in the wood of the sine if the guitar, but there is a small block of wood the is inside to reinforce things.
Just the thin wood of a back or side may not hold a screw.
Some also fill the endpin hole in the bottom of the guitar with some wooden dowel and then use a screw in button like us used at the neck.
If you really don’t want to modify your guitar you can use a classical style strap that connects in the sound hole.
Line Willie Nelson uses.
Eastman
2016 E40d
2021 E6D-TC Alpine Swiss top
Martin
2003 D41 Special
2003 D18
1998 SPD-16R
1970 0018
Gibson
2016 J-15
1965 J-50 ADJ