Installing a top strap button
Y'know, I never thought to even ask about this when I bought my Eastman and to display my utter lack of observational powers, I didn't even notice until tonight as I was playing the guitar: there's no top strap button on my E10D. I searched the forum for "install strap button" and the search returned nothing. So...

Let me ask: is not having a top strap button standard for Eastman acoustics? Do all of you sit down to play and therefore don't need a strap?  Smile  If not, do you use the "tie to the headstock" method (which I personally don't like as to me it feels like that puts too much pressure on the neck); if not, where do you install the top strap button? On the treble side of the heel, as I've seen on most guitars? What have you strap users done for your own guitars?

Huh  Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks!
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Hey, Stephen.  It's standard not to have the strap button installed, and I do play sitting down (not a gigging musician, but maybe someday!).  Anyway, I did find this thread, which mentions both pickguard and strap button installation.  Hope this helps, and I'm sure someone will jump in to assist here, as well.

https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Thread...a-new-E20D
sleigh likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Stephan
Here is one from Tony Polecastro. You might want to use it as a guide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...gNbNVDDGS4
TrailMaster and sleigh like this post
A lot of companies don't put strap buttons on their guitars they leave that option to the owner.

I play out so I have to have a strap button. Position #5 seems to be the most popular and I've found the most balanced. Not that I've tried every position but it's always worked for me. I'm not a fan of tying it to the headstock
Bert, larsjen, sleigh like this post

Attached Files
.jpg
File size: 19.92 KB
Downloads: 456

I've seen the video TomC references, and that's what I figured the solution would be. Easy enough to do on my own. In fact, it's what I did on my Seagull Performer, which also didn't come with a top strap button, though I knew that with Seagull necks you have to place it carefully because you don't want to hit the bolt buried in the heel (for those not familiar with Seagulls, their necks were originally bolted on; they moved to set necks around 2007-8, but retained the bolt to hold the neck in place while the epoxy set). Since Eastman necks are dovetail joints, no bolt to worry about. I just wasn't sure if Eastman had a preferred location for a top strap button or maybe didn't recommend a top strap button at all for some reason.

Anyway, since I plan to have an aftermarket pick-up installed by my luthier, I'll just have him install the top strap button while he has the guitar. Better a pro does it than me!  Smile
AlanSam, TrailMaster, Pura Vida like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I get a little anxious about that kind of stuff, so I'd def have my luthier do it for me.  Smile

Thedman, that's a great photo, showing the most common locations to install the strap button.
sleigh likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I took some lessons about 5 years ago from an older, master level guitar instrumentalist. He teaches all his students to always play with a guitar strap, because it's puts the guitar positioned ideally for fingerpicking, chording, riffs, etc, positioned a little like the way classical guitarist position their guitars, with the neck pointing up in the air. Also, this provides a "consistent" positioning of the guitar, so that you never need to adapt to mild changes in positioning, and this leads to becoming a better instrumentalist quicker. So I always put strap pins on my guitars, in the position described at the beginning of the Tony Polecastro video above, but, I am lazy and don't always play with a strap.
sleigh and billymo like this post

Eastman AC422CE
CAUTION: I'm Singing A Christian Song (AC422)[/font][/size]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM4wJZUYoE

I have installed a lot of strap buttons. It is not hard. Drill a 7/64" pilot hole to avoid splitting the wood.
Fingerstyll, Pura Vida, larsjen like this post
+1 robhanesworth

I also use a small center punch to make a starter hole for the drill bit.  Drill bits like to do the boogaloo down broadway on occasion.  I also like putting a tad of tape on the drill bit to measure depth as mentioned earlier.  bert
(03-28-2019, 11:00 AM)billymo Wrote: I took some lessons about 5 years ago from an older, master level guitar instrumentalist. He teaches all his students to always play with a guitar strap, because it's puts the guitar positioned ideally for fingerpicking, chording, riffs, etc, positioned a little like the way classical guitarist position their guitars, with the neck pointing up in the air. Also, this provides a "consistent" positioning of the guitar, so that you never need to adapt to mild changes in positioning, and this leads to becoming a better instrumentalist quicker. So I always put strap pins on my guitars, in the position described at the beginning of the Tony Polecastro video above, but, I am lazy and don't always play with a strap.

I noodled around on acoustics for 50 years before starting to learn classical guitar. At first, the classical position was awkward, but after playing that way for a couple of years, I now find the acoustic way (guitar resting on my right leg) even more awkward. With a strap, I can keep a an acoustic in roughly the same position as I do when I play classical, and now much prefer that way. I may well add strap buttons to my classical. The classical snobs may turn their nose up at this, but I'm not playing for them I'm waiting on a E10-OO to arrive in a couple of weeks, and plan to add an upper strap button to it as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing a Strap Button hallandboats 2 227 03-29-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: TomC
  Ebony strap button? kruto 8 1,933 06-15-2023, 12:17 PM
Last Post: REHII
  Strap Button / End pin Mitch 9 3,701 06-11-2022, 08:07 PM
Last Post: REHII