SD Antiquities vs. Lollar Imperials on SB59v
For those who have played both SB59v models with the Seymour Duncan Antiquities and the Lollar Imperials, what are your thoughts? I've been trying to find a good way to play both and compare them, but my local shop only has the Antiquities version in there store right now. I really liked them, but I have a feeling Eastman switched to the custom spec Imperials for a reason.
I have the Antiquities in my T59/v and the Lollar Imperials in my SB59/v.  I love them both but I haven't had the SB59 long and have not been able to really crank it yet and I haven't done a focussed side by side comparison. nevertheless at lower volumes it is hard to tell the difference when I swap from one guitar to the other.

This is not much help I know but I although I would be happy with either, I am glad I have the Lollars in the SB59 if only because I already have the antiquities in the other guitar, but they do sound good too.  There are some good comparisons on YouTube, but again, they both sound good to me.

I can tell you that the SB59/v it is a joy to play and a joy to look at. I have the amber one, but I really like the gold burst too.

Both pick ups are great, but from what you are saying, it sounds like you should wait until you can try one with the Lollars, otherwise it will bug you.

I am interested to hear what you end up doing.
I too have a T59v, but for me the Antiguities weren't working for me. Not bad by any stretch, but maybe a little too polite. Took them out and installed some Wolfetone pickups. A Dr Vintage in the neck, and a Marshallhead in the bridge. For me these are pure magic. Absolutely just want I was looking for. Firmly in the vintage world, but can get aggressive and focused when pushed. Can't recommend these more....outstanding.
E10ss/v 02/23/23
SB55DC/v 03/15/23
I have an Ibanez AS73 loaded with Antiquities.... Very sweet sound. Usable for almost all types of music, except maybe metal. Great for R&B, jazz, pop, and so forth.
https://imgur.com/15owRib
"Act your age, not your shoe size" - Prince
Question for you SB59/v owners:  Was the "first run" of those guitar more flamey than later models?  Just curious if those early models had the SD Antiquities and the latter the Lollars.  

Thanks all.

Bill
Eastman Flame Red T486, Eastman Amber SB59/V, Gibson Tobacco Burst Midtown Custom, Fender Magnificent 7 Tele, Fender Buttercream Roadhouse Strat, Epiphone Cherryburst ES339 Pro w/ P90s, Nickerson Brazilian/Adi FC3, Nickerson Cocobolo/Redwood FC3
SB59/V on the way.  Very good deal on Reverb, and I couldn't let it go.  Went with the model with the Lollars.
Pura Vida likes this post
Eastman Flame Red T486, Eastman Amber SB59/V, Gibson Tobacco Burst Midtown Custom, Fender Magnificent 7 Tele, Fender Buttercream Roadhouse Strat, Epiphone Cherryburst ES339 Pro w/ P90s, Nickerson Brazilian/Adi FC3, Nickerson Cocobolo/Redwood FC3
I bought my SB59 used and it was equipped with Amber Spirit of '59 pups. I haven't heard the original pups on the SB, but the Ambers are the sweetest, most defined pickups I have ever heard in my life. I can make it sound like an airy, dark arch top-like guitar (the SB is an arch top btw) with lush, clean tones, but it can also sting like a bee. They are said to be one of the best PAF replicas available and I believe it.
That's a very well-respected set of pickups.  High dollar too.  Great score.
Joe, re your 'I bought my SB59 used and it was equipped with Amber Spirit of '59 pups' - a pic or two would be good!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I'll put up a few on Flickr when I have the time.
I didn't realize what these Amber pickups were when I bought it. I just wanted a LP style guitar. Turns out to be a very good deal.
AlanSam likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lollar vs. Duncan in TV64v Singlecoiler 16 6,680 06-08-2023, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Lukew
Question Low wind or high wing imperials? What does Eastman use? Tschwahh 1 1,812 02-13-2021, 04:28 PM
Last Post: AlanSam
  Details on the Lollar Imperials "Custom wound"? slickman 4 4,475 12-06-2020, 07:49 AM
Last Post: slickman