New Eastman Model: E20OM-MR-TC
Winfield - you have some great guitars. Question - what's the best mahogany guitar you've owned?
Pura Vida and Winfielder like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Winfielder, congrats on the new guitar!  And wow, it seems like you have an amazing collection.  Can you give us a current rundown of your guitars?  It's so great that you're able to compare the E20D-TC vs. E20D-MR-TC vs. E8D-TC (Alpine) vs. Touchstone.  I'd love to hear all of those next to each other.  I will get to compare my incoming MRs vs. E40 and E20 standards (both dread and OM), as well as the E8D-TC Alpine.
AlanSam and Winfielder like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(12-10-2022, 01:57 AM)AlanSam Wrote: what's the best mahogany guitar you've owned?

Very close race between

Martin D-18  (standard 2020)
Yairi DYM60HD
E10D-tc
E6D-tc sitka
E10D

I also have an E6D-tc Alpine that I haven't truly evaluated yet because it came with old strings and is still patiently waiting for new ones.

I think the DYM60HD has the potential to be the best, but it needs a better setup.  More aging would help, too:  it seems like a baked top would have been a perfect match with that 50 year old mahogany.  So right now the D-18 is the best.  I've never played any boutiques like a Preston Thompson, Boucher, Collings, Bourgeois, etc.

The guitar I play most is the E10D-tc because it's my favorite.  The normal E10D is my spirit animal, too, it's incredible for an $800 used guitar.  And the E6D-tc that I received a few days ago had quickly launched itself into contention for overall favorite, too.  They're all A+ guitars, it's just a matter of how many extra +'s they have at any given time as my preferences ebb and flow.

My sole guitar for 25 years was a Simon & Patrick SP6 (sitka over laminated mahogany), which I always liked very much.  I love all of the guitars listed above because they're essentially much more spectacular versions and variations of my longtime guitar.  Almost everything I play is originals, maybe a couple hundred of them, and almost all of them were written on mahogany, so they don't always sound right to me on a rosewood guitar.  Mahogany is 'home' for me; rosewood is the exotic temptress Smile
AlanSam, Pura Vida, DonO like this post
Both of my E20 MR TC guitars delivered this morning.  It's been a busy day, so I didn't really get to do anything more than take the cases out of the shipping boxes, let them warm up, and take a quick peek inside (and maybe a strum or two).  NGD thread(s) to follow, but initial impressions are quite good in the 60 seconds I've spent with each of them.  More to follow, once I get to play them (and possibly swap out the strings, which is my usual new guitar ritual).
Winfielder, vashondan, Zissou Intern, DonO, TomC, Ritchie, AlanSam like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young