NGD E6D-TC Alpine Spruce
I picked this up from Dave's Guitars about 2 months ago. The main reason I bought it was the Alpine spruce top. It was a used model but I cannot find a mark on it. The plastic was still on the guard. It came in the newer stinky arch top case with grey interior. I am still working on getting the smell out of it. I found this interesting as my E8D-TC came in the three generations ago basic flat top case. 

When I received it I changed the strings to DR Rare 12-54 which I like on mahogany guitars. I was duly impressed with tone but floored by the balance and string to string articulation of the notes. It has an incredibly warm/rich tone to it. It definitely doesn't have the low end or sparkling highs of the E8, but that balance is just spectacular. To be honest, it has kind of replaced my E4OM in the pecking order.(for now) I tried some EB 80/20 lights and a set of GHS VB 85/15 Mediums (thanks Keith). The guitar sounded like something was missing with the 80/20s. With the GHS VBs the guitar seemed to have A LOT of power behind it. It was almost like it found another gear. Unfortunately it made the bass a little too prominent and one thing I prefer in this guitar is the string to string balance. The action was a little high on both the nut and saddle. I have been working on improving my set-ups and I think this one might be my best. I have action on the E at the 12th of about 2.75 and on the e about 1.75 with .007 relief in the neck. I should also point out this guitar's fret were dead level. I found no high spots anywhere on the neck and the fret ends were nicely finished. The nut is a full 1.75" with 1.51" E-e string spacing. There is a small imperfection in the bridge, but it is minor. The inside of the guitar is not sealed like on my E40. There is some very minor stain or poor clean up around the label.

Of course I had to add some small personalization. The tuners are Gotoh's SE with pearloid buttons to match the pearloid Eastman on the headstock. I added a John Pearse Slimline Jr ebony armrest. The pickup is a Schatten HFN with tape install. (Hands down the cleanest and easiest install I have ever done.) I changed to a set of ebony bridge pins with abalone inlays and brass inserts. The final touch is an excellent Red Swirl Holter Pickguard. 

Here are some pics. The last one is the E8D-TC(Sitka), E6D-TC (Alpine) and E40OM (Adirondack with a light tan)

[Image: R3cqjR9.jpg] [Image: 1ZNBMFC.jpg]
[Image: LyQyHEx.jpg] [Image: ckQ5zMa.jpg][Image: KyNL4X3.jpg]
[Image: KesINNM.jpg]
DonJmmn, SneakyDeaky, Roy like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Impressive array of guitars Tom! And I like the look of the pearloid buttons. As for the too prominent low 'E', could you not just change that one string? Something else, forgive my being dense, but when you say 'I changed to a set of ebony bridge pins with abalone inlays and brass inserts', what are the 'brass inserts'?
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Alan 
I think maybe low end would be a better description than low E. I would probably have to change out the A & E. I am thinking of trying a set of the GHS VB in lights. Here is a picture of the bridge pins. The brass inserts are just rings around the abalone.

[Image: 8LHjtud.jpg]
AlanSam and cjhorne like this post

She's definitely a looker, Tom. I too like the tuners!
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Congrats again, Tom!  The tuners look great, as well as the abalone bridge pins.  And saying that it's exceeded (or at least meeting) your E40OM in terms of preference is quite a statement to this guitar.  Keep us posted on your string selection.  GHS are my go-to strings, but I've been revisiting DR Rare on a few guitars.

I really want to try out these Alpine Spruce TC models, either E6D or E8D.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Lovely Eastman, and I very much dig the new bridge pins. Super nice addition!
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool 

Nice collection, Tom.  Enjoy!   Smile

Rod
Not to steal from Tom C's thunder, but I've always wanted to try a Euro/Alpine Spruce guitar (as well as a torrified top).  Dave's Guitar Shop had another E6D-TC with Alpine Spruce on on their website, and after reading Tom's glowing review (and chatting with him offline), it's on its way from WI to CA.

BTW, this is a copy/paste from someone at a music shop in the Netherlands on 5/20.

"Eastman recently bought a handfull of very exclusive European Alpine Spruce from Florinett Tonewood based in Switzerland. Some expensive stuff. These tops ware supposed to end up on Bourgeois guitars. But a small unknown amount has accidentally found its way on some E6 and E8 TC guitars... This makes this guitar extremely resonant, rich and with lot's projection. Even more than the already great E6D-TC."

Perhaps these were supposed to go onto the Bourgeois / Eastman collaborative models, and for one reason or another, they were placed onto the Eastman E6/E8 guitars.  Either way, I'm super excited to get my hands on one of these guitars!
Meathead, TomC, sagebrush tom like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
All I can say Brian is you're becoming much more creative in your reasons of gas!  Smile
Must be nice!   Big Grin
AlanSam and Pura Vida like this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
Congratulations Brian! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. Since you have all of those Adirondack horses in your stable, I can't wait to hear some comments comparing the two. Congratulations again and welcome to Team Torrefied.
Pura Vida likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alpine spruce VS Sitka spruce sound sample (E6D-TC & E8D-TC) jay9318 2 2,334 02-28-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Guzzi Fan
  Alpine spruce vs sitka spruce for E8 OM-TC ? cfranchi 6 1,748 12-24-2022, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Mitch
Big Grin NGD Eastman e8om TC -Alpine spruce! Bhsweden 21 6,681 09-05-2021, 11:04 PM
Last Post: onepatrick