NGD E6D-TC Alpine Spruce
Thanks everyone for their comments. Brian - I hope I didn't over-sell it. I think what it might come down is my current preference for mahogany. With the way this guitar is made and it is probably the combination of the Alpine top and mahogany back, it is just incredibly full and balanced.

One last little side note - I had a "2020 50's Gibson J-50" that I was selling to fund an Iris DF I have an order. I had a local interested in it. He played it. Really liked it but needed to think about on it because it was a little beyond his budget - $1900. He asked to play one of my Eastmans because he had heard of them but never played one. He wanted mahogany so I gave him the E6D. He strummed a full four finger G chord. His exact words "HOLY SXXX!. Would you sell me this guitar?"

And now it's time to say good night and find and kill that fly that has been tormenting me for two days.

Thanks again everyone for their comments.

TomC
sleigh, Meathead, vashondan, Pura Vida, AlanSam like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
These Swiss topped E6D's are killing me, too. I just sold a guitar and am sitting flush, but I swore I wasn't going to replace it.

I have bought two guitars from Dave's over the years. Both transactions were smooth, and they did right by me. They have a used E20D that looks fantastic...I must remain vigilant in my quest to keep only two guitars in the house. Though I do appreciate Brian's philosophy more than my own!
I was eyeing that one but was also still researching. I’ve gotten some great “used” instruments from Dave’s that were not “used” at all.
Pura Vida and Meathead like this post
I bought my Gibson J15 from Dave's when they decided not to be a Gibson dealer any longer. It was new but sold as used at a great discount. They have since picked up Gibson again.

They now have a "used" E20D. Someone else should buy it before I do something stupid and pick up another guitar during my current  downsizing.
(05-27-2021, 07:46 PM)TomC Wrote: Brian - I hope I didn't over-sell it. 

Oh, sure.  Now, you say it.  Wink

(05-28-2021, 05:00 AM)Funky Chicken Wrote: I was eyeing that one but was also still researching. I’ve gotten some great “used” instruments from Dave’s that were not “used” at all.

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry that I already took your guitar.  You can blame Tom (see above).  Smile

(05-28-2021, 09:34 AM)Zissou Intern Wrote: That E20D has a very nice top.
Someone should buy that "used" E20D before I do something stupid and buy another guitar during my downsizing.

That top is nice, but I like that back just as much.

BTW, the super silky (possibly figured) top on the E6D-TC (Alpine) is what really pushed me over the edge.  Here's the photo from Dave's website.  Guitar still on track for Saturday delivery (tomorrow!).

[Image: 627tmbs.jpg]
Funky Chicken and TomC like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(05-28-2021, 11:05 AM)Pura Vida Wrote:
(05-27-2021, 07:46 PM)TomC Wrote: Brian - I hope I didn't over-sell it. 

Oh, sure.  Now, you say it.  Wink

(05-28-2021, 05:00 AM)Funky Chicken Wrote: I was eyeing that one but was also still researching. I’ve gotten some great “used” instruments from Dave’s that were not “used” at all.

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry that I already took your guitar.  You can blame Tom (see above).  Smile

(05-28-2021, 09:34 AM)Zissou Intern Wrote: That E20D has a very nice top.
Someone should buy that "used" E20D before I do something stupid and buy another guitar during my downsizing.

That top is nice, but I like that back just as much.

BTW, the super silky (possibly figured) top on the E6D-TC (Alpine) is what really pushed me over the edge.  Here's the photo from Dave's website.  Guitar still on track for Saturday delivery (tomorrow!).

[Image: 627tmbs.jpg] 

How odd that I joined this forum to ask questions about THIS guitar!

I didn’t know about the Alpine Spruce piece either. 

I’ve never owned a Dreadnaught. It’s time. I think Mahogany is what I want after YouTubing the crap out of comparisons. 

I’m only 40 minutes from SoundPure. It’s the weekend. Time to take a ride.
Pura Vida likes this post
Funky Chicken - good luck tomorrow!

You too Brian - I am 5000 miles away but your excitement is palpable!
Pura Vida likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(05-28-2021, 12:34 PM)Funky Chicken Wrote: How odd that I joined this forum to ask questions about THIS guitar!

I didn’t know about the Alpine Spruce piece either. 

I’ve never owned a Dreadnaught. It’s time. I think Mahogany is what I want after YouTubing the crap out of comparisons. 

I’m only 40 minutes from SoundPure. It’s the weekend. Time to take a ride. 

Good luck!  The Alpine Spruce are not the norm for this model (or any Eastman model, for that matter), which is why it's gotten some extra attention here.  Normally, the E6/E8 are Sitka, and the E10/E20/E40 are Adi tops.  It will be interesting to see if the Alpine makes its way into the official lineup, eventually.
Funky Chicken likes this post
Hi TomC,

Nice guitars you have there! I've had my E8D TC Alpine for about a month now.  I put mediums on it, wow.  I'm really enjoying this guitar.  My Collings and Martin are in the closet.  I just noticed that it has a one piece neck.  Well sort of.  The E8D has a headstock that is single piece of wood to the neck, but it does have a stacked heal.  My E20D-TC has the more typical Eastman setup, a three element neck: headstock, neck and heel.

Lucky you, you have correct string spacing, mine is 1.47" at the nut ~1 15/32, will change that nut out.  I too have some gotohs to replace the pings.

The story out there is that Dana B encouraged Eastman to build some Alpine topped guitars, I'm glad he did! 

-Bill
AlanSam and Pura Vida like this post
(05-28-2021, 12:46 PM)AlanSam Wrote: Funky Chicken - good luck tomorrow!

You too Brian - I am 5000 miles away but your excitement is palpable!

The E6D-TC (Alpine) delivered this morning.  I've been playing it, and then rotating a couple of songs with my E10D (Adi) and E6D (Sitka) throughout the afternoon.  I already swapped out the D'Add EJ16 for DR Rare lights and changed the bridge pins (which seemed to be plastic, not Ebony) for a set of Ebony pins with Abalone tops.  It also gave me a chance to snap a couple photos inside with my iPhone.

Full NGD thread to follow, but first impressions are very good.
Zissou Intern, Funky Chicken, AlanSam like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alpine spruce VS Sitka spruce sound sample (E6D-TC & E8D-TC) jay9318 2 2,334 02-28-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Guzzi Fan
  Alpine spruce vs sitka spruce for E8 OM-TC ? cfranchi 6 1,748 12-24-2022, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Mitch
Big Grin NGD Eastman e8om TC -Alpine spruce! Bhsweden 21 6,681 09-05-2021, 11:04 PM
Last Post: onepatrick