Gotoh 510 tuners?
Anyone replaced the pings with some Gotohs? I'm interested in switching out the ones on the E10SS/v. I think it would look really sharp with open gear with a white button (https://g-gotoh.com/product/sxb510v/?lang=en) or the vintage tuners (https://g-gotoh.com/product/sd510/?lang=en). But I have no idea how easy they would be to replace.

Wondering if anyone has tried.

PS I just realized Eastman switched to the Gotohs for the new Madagascan Rosewood models. Just wondering if they'd fit right in.
2020 Eastman E10SS/V; 2020 Eastman E2D; 2020 Yamaha FS830; 2021 Farida OT-22W; 2022 Alvarez MD60BG; 2022 AC630 SB; 2023 Eastman AC622CE
I changed mine out and they dropped right in the E10SS (SXB510's)
Pura Vida, Shishigashira, sleigh like this post

Attached Files
.jpg
File size: 57.35 KB
Downloads: 199

Eastman E1SS                                       Guild D40E
Eastman AC322ce                                  Guild D20E
                                                            Guild D2512 12 string
Eastman  E1D-CLA  (Split Bridge Sad )      G&L ASAT Special Tribute                            
Eastman E2D-BK   (Lifting Bridge  Angry )         
Oh thats awesome. Exactly what I was wondering. And those look great! Thanks.

PS How do you like them? I don't expect too much difference performance wise, but want a different look.
2020 Eastman E10SS/V; 2020 Eastman E2D; 2020 Yamaha FS830; 2021 Farida OT-22W; 2022 Alvarez MD60BG; 2022 AC630 SB; 2023 Eastman AC622CE
(02-20-2022, 03:50 PM)Shishigashira Wrote: Oh thats awesome. Exactly what I was wondering. And those look great! Thanks.

PS How do you like them? I don't expect too much difference performance wise, but want a different look.

Fantastic Tuners! Very smooth and stay in tune!
Shishigashira likes this post
                                                            Guild D2512 12 string
There were threads on this swap out either here or on AGF a year or so back. IIRC, if you swap out the bushings, the Gotoh bushings require a slightly larger reamed hole. I also remember a horror story about Eastman gluing in the bushings and one player damaged the headstock veneer getting them out. This was awhile back though and who knows it Eastman still glues them in. At any rate, proceed with caution.

Gotoh 510s are a serious step up from the Pings and I would expect you'll notice an appreciable difference. I swapped out the Grover Sta-Tites on my D18 for 510s and am pleased with the improvement.

Edit: re the bushings:I remember now, both Ping and Gotoh's string posts are 0.250" so you should be able to drop Gotohs right in using the existing Ping bushings. Also, Gotoh makes 4 versions of open back 510s. Philadelphia Luthier sells them all. You want to measure the distance between the screws on the back of the Pings and get the correct Gotohs for the leasat amount of drilling.
Shishigashira likes this post
(02-23-2022, 04:51 PM)RoyBoy Wrote: There were threads on this swap out either here or on AGF a year or so back. IIRC, if you swap out the bushings, the Gotoh bushings require a slightly larger reamed hole. I also remember a horror story about Eastman gluing in the bushings and one player damaged the headstock veneer getting them out. This was awhile back though and who knows it Eastman still glues them in. At any rate, proceed with caution.

Gotoh 510s are a serious step up from the Pings and I would expect you'll notice an appreciable difference. I swapped out the Grover Sta-Tites on my D18 for 510s and am pleased with the improvement.
I had NO issues what so ever. Now my E10SS is a 2014 model so it is possible Eastman is doing something different with Newer models?
                                                            Guild D2512 12 string
I have replaced several sets of the Pings with both Schaller and Gotohs. I like the Gotohs better because of the fact that the mounting holes are identical to the Pings. I believe the Schallers are a touch wider. The one issue with Gotohs is a ring at the base of the tuner that goes inside the hole on the back of the headstock. This means that it is slightly larger than the Pings and this hole needs to be enlarged. I used a tapered reamer and just went a little at a time until the first tuner fit. I then taped off the reamer at that point and used it as a stop for the other 5. My personal opinion is that the Gotohs are smoother than the Pings, although the E8D-TC I just bought the tuners are fine. The other nice thing about the Gotohs is that you can have fun with different button options. Below are two examples. The first is an E8D-TC with ivoroid buttons. The second is an E6D-TC with pearloid. 

[Image: YiCx0lD.jpg] 
[Image: LyQyHEx.jpg]
AlanSam, Shishigashira, sleigh, RoyBoy, Hanns like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Check out these DerJung tuners I put in my E40D.
Drop in fit, 18:1 ratio, engraved look ( really embossed)
Can be found on eBay the sellers name is taisamlu.
Less than $50 shipped.
[Image: 7compUP.jpg]
I bought several different DerJung tuners from this seller, including some mini tuners that are 21:1 ratio that look like other really expensive tuners.
All the DerJung tuners I have bought appear to be the highest quality.
I also got these 20:1 embossed tuners for my Martin D41 special. (See photo)
[Image: CjydWxH.jpg]
They were also direct drop in and highest quality.
Robert
AlanSam likes this post

Attached Files

Eastman
2016 E40d
2021 E6D-TC Alpine Swiss top
Martin
2003 D41 Special
2003 D18
1998 SPD-16R
1970 0018
Gibson
2016 J-15
1965 J-50 ADJ
Laravie
1991 Larivee C-09
Taylor
2000 810B LOTF
2000 410MACE LOTF
2000 310kce LOTF

11 Alvarez Yairi

Many many others

Those are fancy.  That's the problem I'd have with replacing my tuners.  There are so many options that I'd have difficulty picking which ones I like best.  Smile
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Noobie question, are these literally just drop in ( the ones that are)?  I mean could I do it remembering that I have two left hands?
Pura Vida likes this post
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on Upgrading to Gotoh Tuners on my E10SS...HELP! sonlite.kid 0 984 11-28-2019, 09:08 AM
Last Post: sonlite.kid