Eastman wow again , happily disappointed
I bought a new guitar Collings 360 . I really thought I hit pay dirt when I played it back to back with my SG with mini humbuckers as the Collins has mini's . Both are mahogany set neck guitars that are on the thin size with mini's and the Collings is just better ! Now the real test I pull out my Gibson Les Paul killer ( Eastman sb59 )
I'm actually hoping this Eastman has met it's match . I plug them into a A/B box and go at it . No this can't be the Collins isn't going to lose?
YES it certainly did Ollie ...
SB59 sounds better lightly overdriven and heavily overdrive. To be fair the Collins is stock ,the Eastman has a Gibson 94 neck pickup and a Seymour Duncan 59 with A2 magnet stock wiring .
Lol Eastman you have caused me to sell 4 or 5 Les Paul's , two 335's , a few jazz boxes and even a heritage eagle jazz box. Now my trusty SG could go . [Image: FEG8JlY.jpg][Image: NQEoqHz.jpg][Image: MHHtCgR.jpg]

By the way the Collings is built beautifully and it's a great guitar in every way. Playing back to back so is the sb59 , but one cost 0ver $3000. The other 1500. Lol Eastman thank you very much !
Pura Vida and AlanSam like this post
Impressive head-to-head match-up.  Eastman is killing it with the solid body guitars.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
As a mainly acoustic player can I ask what additional cost the aftermarket  Gibson 94 neck pickup and a Seymour Duncan 59 with A2 magnet added to the original 1500? I wonder whether Eastman would ever offer this as a standard option - or is it too niche?
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I bought the 94 for around $100. Open box . The magnet swap is super cheap $7. The sb59 comes with the Seymour Duncan 59's .
Killing it with the soild body's is a understatement Smile
I pulled out my Gibson custom shop LP Junior . Which had a edge on the sb59 And the Eastman beat it to . I had a 94 in the bridge of the 59 and switched back to the Seymour Duncan last week. I keep finding I like the p90 neck with humbucker bridge combo a lot.
Pura Vida and AlanSam like this post
I now have an SB59/v.  Buddy of mine (much better guitarist than me) played the other night through my Princeton Reverb and declared it the best guitar he'd ever played, period.  And he's played a few.  I'm not embarrassed to say I cannot hear, or feel, the subtlety this guy can, but he said it was as resonant as he'd ever felt.
Zeiss and AlanSam like this post
Eastman Flame Red T486, Eastman Amber SB59/V, Gibson Tobacco Burst Midtown Custom, Fender Magnificent 7 Tele, Fender Buttercream Roadhouse Strat, Epiphone Cherryburst ES339 Pro w/ P90s, Nickerson Brazilian/Adi FC3, Nickerson Cocobolo/Redwood FC3
Congrats, Bob.  Looking forward to the obligatory NGD post.  Smile
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Bob you know I love my sb59 so much maybe I should try the V Smile
I was thinking gold top someday but the sb59 V is more intriguing to me now.
My SB59 (V) with Amber Spirit '59 PU's is also the best guitar I ever heard and played. It also looks great, luckily with a very subtle relic.
I'm playing my 386 as I check the forum .
It's hard to believe how good some of my Eastman guitars really are . I was speaking to Collings guitar company the other day and they asked how I like my 360 . I told them it's great and I measured it against my benchmark guitar Eastman sb59 . I could tell he was thinking ( really ) . I told him it's the best at being driven hard I own . Now again the Collings is great also and in its way just as good as the sb59 . But think a Collins with a close $4000. Retail and a Eastman under 2000.
I'm going to challenge the sb59 again lol . Talking to the guy at Collings he thinks 290 is right up my alley. I'm going to buy one next week to try another Challenger to SB59 . It's like pt109 lol going to guitar war .
Thanks for compare - glad to see Eastman won as I've had similar experiences myself. 

Also looking forward to the results vs. the 290 - the play-ability can certainly be compared, but doesn't the pickup difference make it "apples vs oranges" to a degree?
E20ss, E20OMce, E10SS/v, AR810, T185mx, E10ss00/v, SB59/v, PCH1-OM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NGD - SB55DC/V - happy but disappointed XRay 6 2,078 03-10-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: AlanSam