Eastman wow again , happily disappointed
Yes and no I'd say , I find mini humbuckers are sonically like humbuckers just smaller in size .
I find my favorite driven guitars I own are mahogany body and neck with humbucker or mini's . So I think we're pretty close to apple to apple here .
When I pull out a jazzmaster or my telecaster's , even my telly with strat pickup layout I would agree it's Apple's and oranges for sure. On that point I don't have any eastman's that have those tonal qualities. But the two Gibson 335 I had when I got my 386 it was clear the 386 had something special hiding . Truthfully the Gibson's were better sounding overall . I noticed the Eastman 386 acoustically had more of a snap to the notes . Then I had to know lol . I installed Gibson 57's with a Gibson wiring harness . WOW it bestest both of the 335's , sold them both . I think the maple neck might be the reason for the snap ?
AlanSam likes this post
I posted more about the Collings 290 in general chatter, under don't know where to post. Also listed the 5 best guitars I own to me .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NGD - SB55DC/V - happy but disappointed XRay 6 2,078 03-10-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: AlanSam