NGD - SB55DC/V - happy but disappointed
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I got a SB55DC-V.
I played it at a local shop a few days ago and talked about how much I liked it to my girlfriend.
Yesterday she went to the shop, bought it and gave it to me as a gift.
I returned home from work and found it at home.
I know I'm lucky, I love her so much.

The problem is:
I noticed lots of dings and chips on it. Please check the pics enclosed.
She bought it at full price at a local authorized dealer. The guitar is new, no ex demo or whatsoever.

I asked the dealer about those chips on the phone, he said it is part of the varnish/relic process.

Can you confirm that? I'm going back to the shop on tuesday to discuss about that.

I love the way the guitar plays, its feel and the great craftsmanship, and there's a story behind it, now you know it too.
It would be sad to give it back to the shop.
Thank you

Attached Files

the "V" series are their antique varnish and as far as I can tell have varying amounts of "relic" process such as aged tuners, finish wear, etc. I could imagine nicks and dings being part of it - heavy relic guitars (not Eastman) can look like someone took a weed whacker to them.

Whether you like it or not is largely aesthetic (perhaps philosophical) choices. One place I totally draw the line is the neck - if there are any dings front or back, that is a non-starter. Stuff like headstock and body don't bother me much as those will get some dents over the course of gigging and don't really affect playing. But I can feel a dent in the back of the neck and it will drive me nuts. I had a frankenstrat with a '58 neck ruined by a "luthier" who did a fret dress and gouged the spine. I had to sell it (fully disclosing the damage) as I couldn't bear to play it any more.
Eastman AR880CE | AR580CE | E10OM-TC | Comins GCS-1 Bigsby | Fender Ultra Strat | Beard Radio R Standard Hipshot 
Fodera and Nordstrand fretted - Rob Allen and Nordstrand fretless basses

www.nostatic.com 
” sometimes science is more art than science…”   -Rick Sanchez
As nostic said, it is a reliced model. Generally I like Eastman's relicing but in this case don't think it has been done well, and like nostic I do not find dings on the neck acceptable period. Personally, and if possible, I would be inclined to exchange it or buy the same model elsewhere. But if for you it otherwise ticks all the boxes, and bearing in mind it was a gift I would probably keep it. Difficult!
p.s. looking at pic 6/6, this is exactly the kind of marking I would expect and like on a reliced guitar.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Thank you for your answers.
You then confirm that relicing is part of the varnishing process. I haven't seen any dings and dents on Eastman guitars on the web, but definitely have to look deeper.
Personally I'm not into relic even though I like some battered strats from fender custom shop.

Anyways, I'll check with the shop on tuesday and will let you know. I will also have a look at other Eastman displayed in the shop to see if they also have checks.

Thank you again
Meathead likes this post
Take a close look at photos of the t64v, especially the edges of the body.you’ll notice finish wear, etc

https://reverb.com/item/55211850-eastman...-goldburst
AlanSam likes this post
Eastman AR880CE | AR580CE | E10OM-TC | Comins GCS-1 Bigsby | Fender Ultra Strat | Beard Radio R Standard Hipshot 
Fodera and Nordstrand fretted - Rob Allen and Nordstrand fretless basses

www.nostatic.com 
” sometimes science is more art than science…”   -Rick Sanchez
I KEPT IT.
I reached out to Eastman customer service and they said those dents were part of the varnish.
I also went to the dealer and checked other varnish Eastmans, they all had some minor dents.

I love my guitar, it sounds like heaven
nostatic likes this post
Ray - pleased your happy about your purchase! I'd love to get my hands on one of them for an hour or two. Doubt it will happen though.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SB55DC/V Inlay samwchristmas 0 148 04-15-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: samwchristmas
  New Guitar Day: SB55DC/v Antique Varnish Junior dc 7 2,743 10-29-2022, 03:11 AM
Last Post: [email protected]
  Eastman wow again , happily disappointed Zeiss 11 3,709 09-14-2020, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Zeiss