Eastman T386 Semi Hollow
Hey all - 

Just curious if anyone has played the Eastman T series?  Specifically I have been looking at acquiring the T386 as my next guitar.  I have yet to own an Eastman electric and hope to make it my next purchase.  I have found it a little harder to find Eastman electrics at the local stores (versus the Acoustics which can be found in many places).  I am confident the same quality and craftsmanship goes into the electric series... would love to hear feedback.
Only briefly... at my local retail store, which had several models during an Eastman event this spring.  Overall, the same level of workmanship seemed to go into their electric guitars as their acoustic series, and as someone who's always thought about buying a Gibson ES-335, Eastman's lineup seemed like a great alternative to explore.

Unfortunately, I was busy pelting the Eastman rep with acoustic production questions (I cornered him for nearly two hours!), so I didn't even get to plug in.  But I was just thinking this week that I need to return to that local store and see what models they still have in stock and give them a more thorough review.  It may take a while, but I'll post back if that happens.

Hopefully, others have had more hands-on experience.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Yes, I've played a few T386s and was seriously considering a T486B (with the Bigsby) before I encountered (and subsequently took home) a t58/v. As stated, they give a 335 a serious run for its money, and I really don't think you could go wrong with one if you're looking for a quality semihollow electric. And the price is tough to resist.

I only recently bought my first Eastman, but I kinda doubt it'll be my last.
Hey Giffen - welcome to the board, glad to have you here!

I was not familiar with the t58/v - looks great. https://www.eastmanguitars.com/archtops-t58/v-amb/

Two questions - roughly how heavy is the t58/v? I know the guitar isn't necessarily intended for this, but do you think the pickups could handle some moderate gain for bluesy/rock?
(09-30-2017, 07:44 AM)Meathead Wrote: Hey Giffen - welcome to the board, glad to have you here!

I was not familiar with the t58/v - looks great.  https://www.eastmanguitars.com/archtops-t58/v-amb/

Two questions - roughly how heavy is the t58/v?  I know the guitar isn't necessarily intended for this, but do you think the pickups could handle some moderate gain for bluesy/rock?

Looks a lot like a classic Gretsch.
(09-20-2017, 07:37 PM)Meathead Wrote: Hey all - 

Just curious if anyone has played the Eastman T series?  Specifically I have been looking at acquiring the T386 as my next guitar.  I have yet to own an Eastman electric and hope to make it my next purchase.  I have found it a little harder to find Eastman electrics at the local stores (versus the Acoustics which can be found in many places).  I am confident the same quality and craftsmanship goes into the electric series... would love to hear feedback.

I own two T series, a T486 and a T186MX. They are the reason I seek out places like this nifty new forum.

I first encountered the Eastman name when researching 335 style guitars. Like others have commented elsewhere, you never see anything but praise and enthusiasm for these guitars. So I put them on my "must try" list before making any buying decision on a 335 type.

And like you, I found them hard to come by... but I started looking for a chance to try one. BTW - in my research I got to play lots of 335 types -- Heritage 535, Sheraton and Sheraton II, Ibanez (several models), Epiphone dot as well as actual Gibson 335s, etc.

My first chance to experience an Eastman was a used T386 in a Guitar Center. I was immediately pleased by the resonance, balance, feel and, in particular, the neck (among the most important attributes of a guitar in my book). It was selling extremely cheap too -- about the price of a well preserved Epiphone Sheraton -- its only drawback was being in a rather beaten up condition. I passed on that one because I was beginning to look very closely at the various Eastman models and thought the T486 was the right one for me. But I still remember that guitar too -- which tells you something about everything Eastman makes.

I did end up getting a T486 and it definitely had that same, immediate, "this feels great" vibe. T486s have better pickups which is why I held out for one and I definitely agree this guitar competes with instruments 2 and 3 times as expensive. It follows the 335 formula closely with a solid center block and laminate top. But it has a slightly wider neck than most 335 types. I think that is a real plus. This guitar is outstanding and a fantastic value -- it does everything a 335 should and does it very well. It arguably outclasses everything in the sub-1k market and I doubt anyone would say it wasn't in the top two or three.

I later decided to try a fully hollow-body instrument. With confidence in Eastman now firmly planted in my head I took an interest in the T186mx for its cool combination of hollow-body, carved top, 16" lower bout and high grade Humbucking pickups. I think this is a fairly unique combination, actually. But what an instrument!

The workmanship of the mx line is truly superior. The binding, fit and finish are equal to any guitar I have tried, at any price. The sound has an almost crystalline clarity -- if you like gorgeous clean tone, try a T186MX. I would also say it has a bit of acoustic character that comes though when amplified and that translates into extremely articulate chords (every note is distinct and defined).

For blues and fusion lead work (with a little overdrive) there is a pronounced note bloom and upper harmonics that emerge on held notes. I find it mesmerizing. I guess this is due to the fully hollow body resonating because you can actually feel the liveliness in the body as you play. No laminate top I have tried is anything like as lively as this.

The mx series also have that slightly wider Eastman neck which I find perfect for me.. you can fingerpick it and grab those great jazz chords with less finger bunching. I just love this thing - it looks, plays and sounds like a really fine instrument.

Garcon
It's nice to see some insight on the electric side of Eastman!  I'm glad to read the praise for the T386/T486, as well as some first-hand experience on the MX line.  We're just getting started, so please feel free to add new threads, photos, etc. to keep the conversations going.   :)
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Garcon, welcome to the EGF, good to have you along. Eastman elecs/archs don't get their due.

We used to have a T184MX, loads of fun. Traded it after we got the AR880 archtop.

Speaking of blues, this is a short demo I did a couple years ago with the T184 doin' the slide thing with my GoldTone PBR do some bass/fills:

https://soundcloud.com/bertramd-1/t184mxsb-demo

[Image: sFp6Jq1.jpg]
Hi, Meathead, and thanks for the welcome. I wouldn't say this guitar wasn't intended for higher-gain blues, it does a pretty nice job of it. Though when showing it off on a Gretsch discussion board, someone else postulated that its carved top might make it more prone to uncontrollable feedback, so I set out to test it in this video:

https://youtu.be/7O3XRQwwjVI

And while in a small room and up close to the amp, it's not hard to make it howl, in actual gig situations when the song calls for some dirt, it does a fine job, and the guitar is not as delicate or feedback-prone as some have speculated.
Thanks guys - this is super helpful. I really do think my next guitar is going to be either T386/486 or an MX.

Garcon: appreciate the excellent post. You helped in that I hadn't noticed the pickup differences - I see that the T486 comes with Seymour Duncan pickups (which I like) and assume would be a little higher output vs what comes with the 386. I didn't even have the MX on my radar - but the idea of the solid hand carved maple top is certainly appealing.

Giffen - thanks for sharing the video! You are a fantastic player, by the way. I thought the higher gain you demonstrated sounded good - I didn't hear much squeal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question: Replacement tuners for T486 Semi-Hollow? thescumalsorises 1 647 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: CaliJazzman
Question The warmer Eastman semi-hollow? demian 0 973 07-21-2023, 03:48 AM
Last Post: demian
  Hollow Eastman thinlines? NoiseFloor 4 2,700 04-28-2021, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida