Eastman Builds
! was on the Eastman group site on facebook and it just substantiates why I despise superlative descriptions of various models that I have owned or played or anything/brand model. Maybe it just takes a whole lot more to impress me to to the point of salivating over a guitar. I like my Eastmans just fine but that enough, just fine...but amazing, best I've ever played, a beast on and on. The reason why a persons review means absolutely nothing to me.

IMO altho I have little experience with other brands. I'm thinking Eastman build quality is just as good or better than many or most brands. And their pricing is exceptional. I'm a home alone player nowadays, no collector and not wanting to spend a huge amount on an acoustic.

Some folks say they don't see much or any difference between 1 11/16 and 1 3/4 nut size. I'm not one of those folks. A 1 11/16 nut size is just too close for my likes as my fingers come too close to the strings and I can't have my fingers touch a string muting it in any way and it happens with the slim nut. All of Eastman's SS models have the 1 11/16 nut so even if I were interested in that body size and build the slim nut eliminates any consideration.

As I've said before neck depth is too slim for my ultimate likes. I really like the C shape but not the slim neck depth. I really wish they made a neck a little fuller. It would be so so much more comfortable for me. I have an E10 OM and I like the guitar fine except for the slim neck depth. I hear all kind of excuses for why the builds are like this and I hear where folks say their neck vary in depths because of the different builders Eastman has. I don't want to have to go through all the trouble of trying out a dozen guitars hoping to find one that was built with a thicker neck depth by a particular builder or whoever shapes the necks for Eastman. 

Don't know who makes the decisions at Eastman on builds, whoever it is I don't understand what determines the builds Eastman thinks a majority of buyers prefer. Don't know why so many builds offer only the 1 11/16 nut size. Many folks don't like a slim nut so that results in lost sales simply because of nut size. So to me Eastman is not upping their build game they're decreasing.

Surely it's not just me. Pretty sure I've read here from fans of Eastmans that have bought and sold because they didn't care for a build aspect. Sure would be nice if Eastman had some sort of communication with buyers instead of assuming by whatever means what people were most interested in. 

I'm sure my post aggravates and t's folks off and I really like Eastman, maybe Eastman will give me a straight shooting job instead of the tongue wagging bs like every other brand and brand boys has lol. I'd just like to see more out of Eastman and they'd rule the guitar industry.
AlanSam and roycarver2706 like this post
Maybe Eastman is reading all the HYPE or as you put it "superlative descriptions of various models" and think they have it nailed?  I don't know but, I think you get that kind of "superlative descriptions" from any guitar group about thier favorite Brands". Personally, I am one of those that don't mind the 1-11/16" neck, the "C" shape vs the Slim neck. As much as I enjoy my Eastman's, I'm always looking for the next new "Eastman " type brand that the majority of us out there don't know about. Are there Eastman's I own that as of right now I would never part with, absolutely. If I found something that makes me feel the way I felt when I first played one of my Eastman's, would I buy it knowing I may have to sell something I didn't think I would? YEP! I don't get overly attached to material things but, that's just me......
AlanSam and roycarver2706 like this post
Eastman E1SS                                       Guild D40E
Eastman AC322ce                                  Guild D20E
                                                            Guild D2512 12 string
Eastman  E1D-CLA  (Split Bridge Sad )      G&L ASAT Special Tribute                            
Eastman E2D-BK   (Lifting Bridge  Angry )         
Charlieb
That’s a lot to unpack. First and foremost Eastman is in the business of making money. They do that by manufacturing a product (musical instruments) they believe the market will buy and sell it at a price that exceeds their costs. If a product doesn’t sell they can either discontinue it or change the specs to something that research indicates will sell better. I agree with you on the 11/16” nuts on SS models. But obviously they sell a lot of them so no need in their mind to change. I would argue that the same holds true on neck carve.

As far as the superlatives people heap on any product, maybe that is just a way for people to justify their commitment and purchase. It makes them feel good about the purchase. But their “greatest” or “best ever” really only applies to them, especially something as personal as a musical instrument. I have an E20SSv with a 1.75” nut for which I searched high and low. I really like the guitar and it has become one of my favorites. I have a friend who is a much more accomplished player. He played it and his comment was “yeah it’s ok”. That didn’t lessen my feelings towards it. It just wasn’t his cup of tea.

Thanks for a very thought provoking post. I very much enjoyed reading your comments.
Tom
AlanSam, roycarver2706, sleigh like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Charlieb -- An interesting post, and nothing you said bothers me personally, even if I don't agree with everything you said. If you don't like a particular guitar, then either don't buy it, or (if you did) then sell it to finance the next one. I still feel that, overall, Eastman offers very good value for what they charge, but hey, I just sold two of my Eastmans because I've come to the realization that I prefer the sound of mahogany back-and-sides to that of rosewood back-and-sides and I wanted to try one of the AC Auditorium models. I don't foresee ever selling my E10D, but I also ascribe to the maxim 'never say never.' As I said in a recent post, I was all about Seagulls a decade ago, and thought I'd found my forever guitar in the Artist Studio model... but I moved that one along too to finance getting an Eastman (though I still think fondly of that guitar, though I wonder if I had it in my hands now, whether I'd still feel the same.) Around the same time, I bought a Guild OM acoustic because I always liked Guild acoustics (though this one was Chinese-made, not US-made). I never managed to bond with its sound or feel; it's gone now too.

But one person's 'forever model/brand/size/tonewood' is going to be someone else's I'm can't wait to sell this and get something different, and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I can get along with an 1 11/16 nut as well as a 1 3/4 one. I'm fond of Eastmans due to my experience with them, but I'm not an Eastman fanatic. If I played something else in my price range, and felt that it blew away one of my Eastmans, well, I'd go with that and not worry about it.

What matters to me is how a guitar sounds to my ears and whether or not I can afford it, not what someone else says about it. Which is the way I think it should be for everyone. As Tom said above, "Eastman is in the business of making money" -- which is as it should be for a company that wants to stay in business, and I can't (and won't) blame them for making decisions for their lines based on that. I'm sure they have a lot of data on what sells for them and what doesn't.
TomC, AlanSam, roycarver2706, Zissou Intern like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I find that some (not all) people who own a particular item like to affix huge kudos, almost like 'congratulating' themselves, be it guitars, guns, bikes, cars, whatever. Further, a great many of the reviews I see bursting with hyperbolic praises are written by brand new owners. "This thing is a dream, best ___ ever, it'll be my go-to keeper for decades to come! I just unboxed it yesterday!"

On the other end of that spectrum, I head for the bottom of the page and review the negative comments, looking for recurring themes. Using guitars as the example, repeat comments tend to highlight deficiencies that I might notice too, like:
- crappy tuning machines
- faulty electronics
- sharp, poorly finished fret edges
- thin, tinny tone
- blemishes or shoddy materials

If I see enough complaints about the same things, then I'd probably have an issue with them too. Except for Ping tuners. I don't care, because I already know I'll replace them on just about anything I play. Something structural? Instant deal killer.

And I NEVER order anything online that doesn't have an explicit satisfaction/return/refund policy in writing from the seller.
sleigh, roycarver2706, AlanSam, TomC like this post
Charlieb, with all due respect: as an Eastman-er enthusiastically proclaiming my Eastman D20 TC and E6 Swiss OM TC the best guitars I’ve ever played - this is not hyperbole. One has to take into consideration a poster’s frame of reference, which in my case these 2 are the first new guitars I’ve bought since 1980. Both bought new, considering inflation and current Eastman prices, using the cliche’d “bang for the buck” and the instruments’ quality, my excitement. Those of us still in the honeymoon stage tend to express our excitement about our new finds.
sleigh, AlanSam, roycarver2706 like this post
I don't know - still stirring up trouble Charlie? Keep it up!
Zissou Intern and roycarver2706 like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I hear yall's and it's fine and dandy that they in the business of making money. I like Eastman but I'm in the business of being a satisfied buyer and I can make do with the few Eastmans I own even being less that satisfied. I'm just one buyer but I don't see any builds they have or any changes they've made to keep me as a repeat customer. Don't reckon 1 customer makes any difference and I'm not very good at math but I do know 543210
roycarver2706 and AlanSam like this post
I too am not offended by any remarks or opinions here...and I do agree about 1 3/4 being preferred by me as well....but those of us who started long ago with Martin and Gibson dreads remember we had to play on 1 11/16 but they were chunkier back then and if I remember correctly the bridge spacing and taper was different as well. That can make a difference.  Even Taylor who way back in the early beginnings offered standard 1 11/16 but a shallower C shape than Martin....Many envied Taylor's playability, so Martin began revising to modern shaped necks to compete.  When I play some of the vintage Martin's these day the feel of the 1 11/16" neck is completely different the the newer Martins and pulls the fingers very differently. Gibson even made some 1 9/16" J200 necks, but the 12 fret was wide, because country players stayed in the first 3 frets, but I believe they settled in a compromise at 1.72'' .  I do have a modern Martin with 1 11/16 and it feels tiny.  But plays fast like an electric for lead work, not good for fingerstyle. Many others including some 000's had 1.68". A friend of mine has a 1951 Martin 000-18 with a 1 5/8" nut, but the bridge spacing is 2 5/32", hence the slide in saddle of old. So my point is, it all depends I guess on so many variables in size and shapes of necks. BTW don't forget Martins tiny 30's and 40's 2-17 all mahogany parlor guitar was standard with a 1 3/4" nut width. I played one at Gruhn's years ago, it would surprise you how it sounded!
roycarver2706 and AlanSam like this post
I currently own 5 acoustic guitars - 5 different brands. All 5 have electronics and 4 are cutaways.

My Eastwood AC422CE weighs the most by far:
2 pounds heavier than the lightest one
And a pound more than the second heaviest

They all project nicely. As a lead/rhythm rock/blues guitarist, I wouldn't own them if they didn't.

Not complaining because I love them all. I just wonder what makes the Eastwood weigh noticeably more than (for instance) an equally pleasing cedar-topped Seagull.