Dave's Guitar Shop
I hope Vapour also posts a sound sample of that E10-00-M; it's flat-out gorgeous to look at (I love the look of mahogany) but I want to hear it, too!
Pura Vida likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(06-09-2021, 06:17 AM)sleigh Wrote: I hope Vapour also posts a sound sample of that E10-00-M; it's flat-out gorgeous to look at (I love the look of mahogany) but I want to hear it, too!

OK, I'm not great at generating high-quality sound clips, and will be heading out of town for a while next week, but I can get it done sometime in July.  I have an H4N Zoom and Reaper and can do a comparison between my 4 E10OO, E10OOM, E20OM, E6OM.  That's enough variety to probably get a good baseline on the differences.

The biggest downside here is that it will have to be done with my playing!
SasquatchLife, vashondan, Pura Vida like this post
Wow, he's got a nice selection of used E's on the website.  A couple of OO's that have me pacing around. Would have to sell my E8 though.  Hmmm!
SasquatchLife likes this post
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
(06-09-2021, 11:36 AM)vashondan Wrote: Wow, he's got a nice selection of used E's on the website.  A couple of OO's that have me pacing around. Would have to sell my E8 though.  Hmmm!

Yeah, Dave's definitely has the best selection of used Eastman's out there.  And his prices are crazy low.  I don't know how he does it to be honest.
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Dan, if I hadn't just purchased the E6D-TC (Alpine), I'd gladly take that E8OM-TC off your hands.  I need some time in between purchases, in order to maintain marital bliss.  Smile
vashondan likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(06-09-2021, 03:51 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Dan, if I hadn't just purchased the E6D-TC (Alpine), I'd gladly take that E8OM-TC off your hands.  I need some time in between purchases, in order to maintain marital bliss.  Smile

Understood Smile  It may take some time.  I need to decide what my next purchase will be.
Pura Vida likes this post
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
Cedar, I think you're right.  I don't think they changed to Euro spruce until recently (maybe 2020).
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
You'd have to look at the specs. I know that some of newer guitars from Eastman (the AC522CE, for instance) are listed as having "European spruce" tops. Here's an interesting breakdown of the qualities of the various spruce tops, although like all such reviews, the opinions are subjective and your opinion and/or experience might be different.

A long post follows... This one below comes from the Fellowship of Acoustics website: (https://www.tfoa.eu/en/blogs/blog/tonewoods-explained/):

Arguably the most common tonewood, Sitka Spruce is a well-rounded tonewood, one suited for many styles of playing. It’s known for its tight grain pattern and its high stiffness and relative lightness, translating to a broad dynamic range that stands up well when strummed heartily. At the same time, it’s also quite responsive to fingerpicking, though a light touch may result in a thin sound. Sitka tends to have stronger fundamentals than overtones, and this means that it can sound not quite as robust when played with the lightest touch. “Sitka is the most consistently available, good-quality spruce there is, and that’s why we use it as stock on the majority of our guitars,” says Dick Boak, director of the museum and archives at Martin & Co. Besides Martins, Sitka Spruce is used on many guitars in the industry. A sitka spruce top can be seen on the J50 for example, second from right on the picture above. 

Engelmann spruce, which also grows in western North America, is a common alternative to Sitka. Because it is in lesser supply than Sitka, Engelmann often costs more. It’s a lighter and less stiff variety than Sitka, and it has stronger overtones and weaker fundamentals. An Engelmann top typically has less headroom than one made from Sitka, and its sound can suffer a little when played loudly. “Engelmann is a good choice for players who want a more complex sound when playing softly,” says Dana Bourgeois, adding that European spruce shares characteristics with Engelmann, but has more headroom, making it ideal for players with a stronger attack. 

When Taylor Guitars redesigned its popular 700 series, the company turned to Lutz spruce, a natural hybrid of Sitka and white spruce that provides a higher volume ceiling. Taylor is no stranger to Lutz; the world’s largest acoustic-guitar manufacturer introduced this tonewood into its lineup with the revoiced 500 series. It grows naturally in a relatively small area in Central British Columbia and the Alaskan panhandle. The supplier hails Lutz spruce for its “hybrid vigor.” 

Adirondack, or Eastern red spruce, named after its ruddy coloring, grows in the Adirondack Mountains and in the cool forests of the Northeast. It is the king of spruces. Prior to World War II, it was the soundboard tonewood of choice for Martin and other makers. But over-harvesting of this wood led to its being all but phased out for use in guitars in the years after the war. For the most part, Adirondack spruce can be found on select high-end instruments. It’s a relatively heavy and stiff wood, having strong fundamentals, but a greater overtone content than Sitka, and it tends to be the loudest and liveliest of spruces as well. Adirondack can be extremely wide-grained—as few as four grains per inch—and not as pretty as other spruces, but it has the uncanny ability to add complexity to the tone. Adirondack is used as a top on the "midde" guitar, 4th from right, on the picture above! It's a J-45 Vintage 2018 model, rocking a classic Adi top combined with a Mahogany body.  

German Spruce is a common term for Spruce coming from Europe, but it is not really accurate. Guitar grade Spruce has not come out of Germany for many years now. The best material comes from the former Yugoslavia region. With German Spruce, you can expect the excellent, slightly golden-colored tonewood that, for years now, has been the staple of the bowed instrument world, and a favorite among high-end steel string and classical guitar builders. German Spruce is of exactly the same species as Alpine or Italian Spruce, but is different in sound because of the high regions the Alpine Spruce grows in. Alpine Spruce is just a bit warmer in color and the winter grain, when visible, is a bit pinker. Tonally, it is said be more focused with a slightly stronger fundamental than regular German Spruce. For this reason it has a loyal group of devotees.

(Steve's note: "European spruce" is a catch-all term for Picea abies, also known as German Spruce, Italian spruce, Norway Spruce, Carpathian Spruce, Swiss spruce, Yugoslavian spruce and probably a few others -- though note the Fellowship of Acoustics comment on the tonal qualities of Alpine spruce.)
DonJmmn, SasquatchLife, AlanSam, vashondan like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Steve - excellent review of Spruce's characteristics for sound board use, and timely too in the context of recent discussions.
sleigh likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Well Dave’s strikes again.  Was just bored and surfing through faves when I saw an E8D-TC on their site used.  It was late and wanted to call and see if there was something that would require repair as the listed price was astounding.  When I called it was changed to sold while on the line. 

I am having Sunday morning coffee and figure maybe another came there way. Lo and behold the same one is listed again. I was told yesterday, someone put a hold on it to have it shipped to their madison shop. Maybe they bought something else. 

2021 E8D-TC $995.  I didn’t even have the heart to call and haggle.  Was looking at some different brands, but came to the conclusion playing my E6D, also from Dave’s, that Eastman makes a great instrument that fits my hands for a great price. Not a Martin, but Kmart sneakers were all we could afford as a kid, and those kicks git the job done.

As with any used purchase, trepidation has set in, but my experience last time was excellent. The plastic was still on the pickguard.  Maybe they add that to add to the mystique, but I could not find a flaw or blemish on it.  

Keep it up Dave’s!
Shishigashira likes this post
“Let there be songs to fill the air.” ~ Garcia/Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Selection from Dave's Guitar Shop SasquatchLife 3 1,327 10-18-2020, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Shishigashira