thinline series headstock shape change?
I've been browsing around online for a T386 for a little bit and I've noticed that the overall headstock shapes don't look the same... Did they redesign them for the T386,T486, and T59?  From what I've noticed, it looks like they used to fan out quite a bit towards the top of the headstock, but some photos I've seen posted here more recently looks like the headstock is a similar shape and size to a gibson where the top of the headstock is a similar width to the bottom of the headstock.  Maybe its just the angle the pictures are taken at?

Attached Files
.jpg
File size: 30.83 KB
Downloads: 110
.jpg
File size: 66.66 KB
Downloads: 127

Yes, they narrowed their fan shaped headstock. What year they did that I’m  not sure or what models.  My T486 and T486B from a few years ago had the wider fan, my 2020 T484 has the narrower headstock.
They did it on the T64, too. Definitely an improvement, straighter string angle, more stable tuning - maybe not as important for the "jazzy" models, but for the blues/rock -oriented ones, where you do bend strings, and especially for those with a Bigsby (that's why they should change it on the T58).
AlanSam and Rad like this post
My favorite Eastman headstock, the one on the new Romeo....I don’t own one. Look how straight those string angles are.

[Image: w3Xbqwu.jpg]
Zeiss and RomanS like this post
I was never a fan of the old fanned out headstock... reminded me too much of the ibanez ones you see on some of their archtops.  I definitely like the lines of the new ones, glad it wasn't my imagination!
Zeiss and Rad like this post
1017 lol oh no you're right !
I love my 386 and can and will live with the headstock but dam ( Ibanez )
As a proud owner of a wide headstock T64 and a Romeo I can vouch for the fact that it's a huge difference. Not only in tuning stability, but also in ease of tuning. That's equally important for a jazz player. The Romeo might be the best Eastman so far.
Pura Vida likes this post
Eastman T64
Eastman SB59GB/V
Eastman Romeo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up T386 neck shape Stevie76 8 3,683 07-06-2021, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Jure
  Which Eastman thinline? tones 27 10,795 02-09-2020, 09:42 AM
Last Post: nopicknick
  smaller headstock on thinline models TomB 15 6,330 05-11-2019, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Bert