T386 neck shape
Thumbs Up 
Hi. New user here!

Been scouting this forum for a while now as I was interested in purchasing a T386.

Long story short I now have purchased it and it's absolutely beautiful!. The tones are just what I wanted and it's a nice upgrade from my old epi dot. Fit and finish are way above what I'm used to. I also really like the Kent Armstrong pickups so I'm happy about that too!

I play primarily a Gibson Les Paul classic from the 90s with the slim taper neck. Love this neck and I've had the guitar from new so I thought The neck shape on the T386 would be up my street. I.e slim 60s Gibson
Here's the possible rub... After playing 2 hours on the Eastman my thumb hurts!..

I play thumb over neck and I'm finding this neck shape kinda hurts  when played this style after some time. I'm kinda putting this down to the wider neck shape.

There are no sharp edges on the frets at all... fretwork is utterly immaculate...better than my LP. 

I adore this guitar but was just wondering if anyone else has has a similar issue playing thumb over on these necks?

Thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum!  I have also have a 2020 T386 and I don't have hand/thumb pain from it, but I'm curious: when you say 'thumb over' I am assuming you mean that you play root notes with your thumb?  Or do you just mean your thumb is over the top of the board most of the time when playing? It is definitely a wider feeling neck and that could be leading to it.

If by thumb over you mean just having your thumb over the board a lot, it could also be something where you are gripping tightly and maybe loosening your grip might help in multiple ways.  I say that because I have a tension problem where I 'bunch' up when I am trying to play faster, and it actually makes it harder to play.  It would be interesting if you played and made a concerted effort to keep your left hand looser.  I don't end up with hand pain, but man, do am I a fret's worst enemy.

Good luck and let us know.  One off-topic question on yours: is it heavy?  That is my only complaint with mine... it's got to be pushing 9 pounds.  I was wondering if others were as heavy.
Lukew likes this post
Eastman:
Soon... I don't know what I was thinking

Non-Eastman:
2005 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
Martin 000 Jr.
Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes I play chords with my thumb on the bottom e root.

I think it is possible I'm gripping too tightly but I always have.. Probably not the best technique ever!.

I was playing the eastman extensively over the weekend and my thumb is fine!... Strange... Think it might have been the fact I'm not quite used to the wider neck yet. Think it'll work out just fine.

I weighed mine at 8.5 kilos. Not as heavy as my Lp but strangely feels much lighter probably due to to the LP being a slab and the eastman being more balanced.
NoiseFloor likes this post
(02-22-2021, 04:01 AM)Stevie76 Wrote: Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes I play chords with my thumb on the bottom e root.

I think it is possible I'm gripping too tightly but I always have.. Probably not the best technique ever!.

I was playing the eastman extensively over the weekend and my thumb is fine!... Strange... Think it might have been the fact I'm not quite used to the wider neck yet. Think it'll work out just fine.

I weighed mine at 8.5 kilos. Not as heavy as my Lp but strangely feels much lighter probably due to to the LP being a slab and the eastman being more balanced.

That's great that your hand isn't bothering you!  I wouldn't be able to chord like that, especially on this neck.  Plus, my fingers are not at all flexible.  It is the bane of my guitar playing existence.  And it sounds like yours weighs almost exactly the same as mine.  It's fine, just heavier than I expected.

Happy playing!
Eastman:
Soon... I don't know what I was thinking

Non-Eastman:
2005 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
Martin 000 Jr.
I really hope that the weight is 8.5 lbs and not kilos.
Ha ha!... Yeah! ?. I definately wouldn't keep it if it were that heavy!. I thought someone might pick up on that slip up!
Glad you got used to the neck. I have a 386 and the nut is 1.75" with 12 radius.. I love the guitar and live with the 1.75 but really prefer 1 11/16 .
I don't play thumb over , so tried it on the 386 and sb59 1 11/16 12 radius, much more comfortable on the sb. Then grabbed my vintage tele that I don't enjoy playing all that much . Narrow neck ,small frets, 7.25 radius , thumb over worked great . Still not the way I play but very comfortable if you play that way.
Yup, been nailed.  The difference between 1 11/16” and 1 3/4” in the nut width does not sound like much, but it can be for some hands.

The very first thing I look for in a guitar is a neck and fingerboard I feel comfortable with.  Nothing else matters if that test is not passed.  Next comes tone then looks last.
Pura Vida likes this post
Hi Stevie 76, I play thumb over "blame Hendrix" and what I realized over the time is that this technique requires narrow nut . I play Stratocaster but Gibson's slim taper work's good. Also wider spacing on the bridge helps me some I think. So fat neck with narrow nut is great combination for 5 hours session. Also friends who play my guitar for prolonged period of time always say that their hand is still fresh after playing. I've put allparts fat neck with 1" depth all the way and 1.650 nut width. Just made it slimer in the first few frets.
Jure
AlanSam likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  thinline series headstock shape change? dantheman1017 6 3,154 11-30-2020, 09:07 AM
Last Post: JoeontheGuitar