Taking A Break
(06-06-2023, 08:15 AM)Meathead Wrote: Hey Dan!  Good to see you on here..  How are you doing, and are you feeling better after the recent surgery?
Hi Tim et al

I won't jump on PV's post but will come back and give an update
AlanSam, Zissou Intern, sleigh like this post
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
(06-03-2023, 09:23 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Hey gang,

I'm taking a break from the forums for a bit.  I may pop in and out, but if you don't see me here as much, don't worry... and I'll be back on at a later point.

Keep playing!

Greetings, all.  Just stopping in here for a minute to say hello to the EGF group.  As mentioned in another thread, my personal commitments continue to require all of my time, so I can't visit here like I used to.  I'll try to drop by a little more, as I can, but probably frequently not until sometime in 2024.

However, I will share a huge personal accomplishment (non-music related).

For the last year, I've been focusing on my personal health.  At the end of August, I achieved a milestone of losing 100 lbs (peak weight was two years ago, when I turned 50yo, but I was still close to that peak weight in early 2023).  I also managed to shift 18% of my body mass from fat into muscle and dropped my waist size by 12-14 inches.  Last weekend, I needed to buy new jeans and managed to fit into the same waist size that I wore in my final year of college (over 28 years ago).

I've done this entirely through diet and exercise.  I cut my meal portions in half, cut out late night eating (huge problem for me), and choose healthier foods: red meat and cheese for lean meat, more fruits and veggies, whole grains instead of sugar and white flour.

On the exercise side, I began strength training about a year ago and use an app called Fitbod, which creates daily workouts using an AI platform to mimic what a personal trainer would do.  I also began walking... first, 15-20 minutes was a struggle, but I increased 5 minutes at a time... and now, I walk 3-5 miles per day (4-5 days per week).  

It's pure math: calorie deficit in, more activity out = weight loss, improved health.  Also, better sleep and less stress (both still a work in progress, LOL).  I also eliminated one of my diabetic meds and hoping to get rid of meds for high BP and cholesterol with my next check-ups.

Since I'm sharing and want to inspire others (even though I'm still on a break for now), I'm uploading three photos of me.  The first was two years ago (50th birthday), the second was with my skinny jeans (last weekend), and the third is from my 52nd birthday (this week).  I look and feel 20 years younger, and it's never too late to make healthy changes.

I'm heading back into the cloud... but I'll try to keep an eye on this thread to chat about non-guitar life.  Miss you, all!  PV

[Image: dep4MVV.jpg]

[Image: qvCyjI9.jpg]

[Image: LuatkWs.jpg]
Roy, sleigh, TomC, Oldjock, Zissou Intern like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
What a coincidence PV. I was thinking about you yesterday hoping that things were getting back to where you want them. It looks like a lot of effort and commitment have definitely paid off. Great to hear from you. Looking forward to your return on a more permanent basis. Keep up the good fight!!
Tom
AlanSam, sleigh, Zissou Intern, Pura Vida like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Congrats
AlanSam, Pura Vida, sleigh like this post
It never moves any faster than it's supposed to go - Taj Mahal

2017 Waterloo WL-14X
2019 Martin 000-18
2021 Eastman E20P
2022 Martin 000-16
The Loar LO-215-SN
Yamaha FG-331

Great job!
AlanSam, sleigh, Pura Vida like this post
Brian - well done! The most difficult muscle to get into shape is will power. Glad we've seen less of you - stones less of you LOL.
TomC, Pura Vida, sleigh like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Wow, Brian -- that's an impressive Before/After! Congrats!
TomC, AlanSam, Pura Vida like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Hey Brian - appreciate hearing from you and thank you for the update.

Your personal transformation is both amazing and inspiring - that is an incredible change and I admire your discipline and focus. Congratulations and definitely keep it going. By the way, thanks for sharing your method (calorie deficit) - I was curious if you were doing keto or something along those lines.

Take care of yourself and look forward to when it works best for you to jump back in here at EGF regularly!
sleigh and Pura Vida like this post
Thanks, all.  It's been a crazy year, and I look forward to telling you all about it, someday. Smile

I just came back from a whirlwind weekend trip to Vegas, where I reunited with an old college friend, whom I hadn't seen in 27+ years and also lost 100+ lbs.  We agreed to celebrate, if we both joined the "century club," and Vegas seemed like a perfect place to take a break from counting food or drinks, haha!  Also, people watching in Vegas on Halloween weekend is not to be missed!

Also, I shared my transformation with the people at Fitbod, and they asked me for permission to share my success story through various social media, which means my story may inspire others.  I cannot say enough good things about that app and its online community.  If you're experienced with exercise and strength training, or just looking to begin and not sure what to do, check them out.

https://fitbod.me

Musically, I had taken a break from playing earlier this year.  However, since July, I've been trying to set aside some time to play... I'm up to 20-30 minutes (a couple of times per week).  Hopefully, I can get back into a daily routine at a later time.
TomC, Zissou Intern, DukeS, AlanSam, Meathead, sleigh like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(11-01-2023, 01:21 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Thanks, all.  It's been a crazy year, and I look forward to telling you all about it, someday. Smile

I just came back from a whirlwind weekend trip to Vegas, where I reunited with an old college friend, whom I hadn't seen in 27+ years and also lost 100+ lbs.  We agreed to celebrate, if we both joined the "century club," and Vegas seemed like a perfect place to take a break from counting food or drinks, haha!  Also, people watching in Vegas on Halloween weekend is not to be missed!

Also, I shared my transformation with the people at Fitbod, and they asked me for permission to share my success story through various social media, which means my story may inspire others.  I cannot say enough good things about that app and its online community.  If you're experienced with exercise and strength training, or just looking to begin and not sure what to do, check them out.

https://fitbod.me

Musically, I had taken a break from playing earlier this year.  However, since July, I've been trying to set aside some time to play... I'm up to 20-30 minutes (a couple of times per week).  Hopefully, I can get back into a daily routine at a later time.
Brian, what an inspiring story. Congratulations on the new lifestyle and transformation. Keep picking!
Don
sleigh, Meathead, Pura Vida like this post
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45