T386 pickup change ?
PS, the A2 magnets can be had for ~$9 on ebay and the covers (48.9mm) for SD's are under $20.

Investing just under $30 on a $60 (used) or $100 (new) pup may be a bit much on a hunch but, IMO at least it's better than spending a hundred or more on another pup that may ultimately not work out either. Add to that the labor / time to R&R the pups makes the simple mods far easier.

Check the Seymour Duncan site, there's a bunch of players there modding SD pups, it's where I initially placed my query on the SD "jazz" mods I did. I respect their opinions, they've been there, done that :-)
Regards,

Gary
I've switched out magnets before as a repair / freshen up. I like your idea , installed cover already . Will remove and try again Smile
To add to the T386 pickup swap topic I just ordered a set of Mojotone 59 Clones unpotted with A4 magnets. Came very close to getting Phat Cats again, but wanted to stay with humbuckers for now. The stock pickups are fine just not exactly for me. Phat Cats are fantastic though. Every guitar I have had them was outstanding.
E10ss/v 02/23/23
SB55DC/v 03/15/23
I'm very happy with the phat cat neck . Definitely going to try alnico 2's in the 59 before I give up on it .
I have only played around with the DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups in the past . I like the DiMarzio p90 but the humbuckers I've tried I leaned to Seymour Duncan. This is the first time I haven't like the 59 in the bridge position. You know that's not completely true I installed 59's in my carvin 550 and didn't like , then installed phat cats and loved them .
It's ignorance not knowing about what other companies offer in pickups . I listened to the internet and tried a set of ironman pickups in a Les Paul . I couldn't get them out fast enough lol . I gave them away and told him hope you like them . He said yes I love them because there FREE!
I like to read the posts on electric guitars. Between pick-up options, splitters, rewiring, peddles, amps and other electronic devices I am quickly lost.  It renews my appreciation for the simplicity of the acoustic guitar.

TomC
AlanSam, Pura Vida, Bert like this post
Oops , I meant to say ( it's my ignorance not knowing what other companies offer in pickups ) so I seem to always go to Seymour Duncan in the end.

Tom c , I agree it can get frustrating . But it's alot of satisfaction when you find the recombination. I get excited wondering if these or that will sound better . Luckily there alot of people out there that help by sharing there experiences.
Your post put a smile on my face because my wife has said ( why don't you go play a acoustic for a few days ) lol
Pura Vida likes this post
Phat Cats and old Pharts, here goes:

This is an excellent topic Zeiss.

About 20yrs ago I sold my 70' Strat and Les Paul, went all acoustic.  At that time I felt elec guitars had become electronic synths.  What the &^#@&%?

gnappi (Gary) has been my go-to source on elecs since this forum started, he has a wealth of down to earth info.  thanks, Gary

Elec guitars for me are 'you can't live with them and you can't live without them'.

Not wanting to get into electronic guitars, I started kickin around with Eastman archtops.. though I don't play jazz.  Clean elec sound is my method.  My AR810ce got traded for an AR880 Pisano, which I gave to my son to celebrate completion of this masters degree.  So I picked up a used AR805ce, which I later traded for a clean, custom Roberts tube amp.  Finally found something with the El Rey 4... but took me most of last year to settle on the string gauge.  The Kent Armstrong PAF 57 with Alicon 2 mags is a good fit for an acoustic type, clean tone.

Everyone has their own vibe to find, reading this thread is very refreshing and thanks to all who have added their valuable input.  bert
(08-11-2019, 01:47 PM)TomC Wrote: I like to read the posts on electric guitars. Between pick-up options, splitters, rewiring, peddles, amps and other electronic devices I am quickly lost.  It renews my appreciation for the simplicity of the acoustic guitar.

TomC

Funny.  I just had the same discussion with my wife last night.  I love electric guitars, but I constantly feel out of my element with what makes them tick.  Plus, when I play an electric guitar, it usually sounds like whatever pedal/effect I'm processing it through.  Not meant to sound negative -- it's my lack of understanding on the subject.
TomC and Bert like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
First Gary thank you !
The bridge 59 with the alnico 2 is perfect for me . But there's a caveat (dirty ) this guitar sounds great overdriven . Clean it's probably the last of my guitars I would grab. The 386 just doesn't compare to my other guitars clean . Dirty it's as good as my sb59 in a different way , neck or bridge just sing . I can get the classic horn type distortion. Playing through a fender bass breaker with a few pedals . The sustain has a sweat sound on either the neck or bridge. Tomorrow I'll get out my best guitar for overdrive a jet earlwood and compare. I like guitars to do everything well and this one does , but I want them all todo one thing great . Gary again thank you with your help the 386 is a great sounding ( rock guitar ) lol
Pura Vida likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pickup advice - T386 JohnnyH 3 1,616 04-02-2023, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Jozie
  T386 Pickup Adjustments and Recommendations Jozie 20 9,006 04-02-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Jozie
  T64 - did Eastman change the position of the bridge pickup? RomanS 5 2,428 10-15-2020, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Garcon