T386 Pickup Adjustments and Recommendations
Hello everybody - new member here. 

I picked up a T386 recently and trying to see if I can get the best out of the stock set up before considering upgrades. The guitar has been settling in nicely with various action tweaks and I have tinkered with PUP and pole piece heights. I am getting a nice breathy warm tone from the neck - with nice clarity. As others have said the bridge is pretty good too. 

I'm now at the point of thinking about the value of a PUP replacement. People seem to like the Seth Lovers in this instrument. 
The thing is that it has a maple neck - I am thinking that the Seths may accentuate the brightness and lose the warmth. 
Also seen people say that the Seths long legs present a problem with the cavity depth. Did you have to route the cavity out further (don't like the idea of that).

I'd like to ask anybody who's had experience - what did you get out of changing PUPs? Did you try the Seths and what kind of tonal difference did you feel you got out of them? Did anybody try any other PUP's and really like the results at all. 

Many thanks and all the best.
Welcome Jozie! I'm an acoustic man. I am sure others will weigh in on this.
Jozie likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I assume your Eastman is equipped with Kent Armstrong units? There are a couple of adjustments you can try before replacing them with aftermarket stuff. Have you tried adjusting the polepieces to alter the tone after setting the pickup to string height? Experimentation is usually the key. Also, you'd be surprised how much a change in strings can alter the tone.

I assume you are not interested in changing other parts of your rig, like a different speaker in the amp, etc.

Also, Seth Lovers will fit without worry. The routing problem is one for solidbody stuff like some Les Pauls and so on.
AlanSam likes this post
"Act your age, not your shoe size" - Prince
Thanks for your messages guys. Good to meet you. 
Yes - I have adjusted pole pieces etc and got the KAs wounding quite nice. Expected to spend some time with them to see what I could find. 

The issue I heard about with the Seths is that they have vintage (long) legs - rather than the short ones - somebody somewhere mentioned that they had to route out some extra cavity in a T386 to get them in. I may put stainless studs in but think an aluminium TP might make it a bit too bright. Its already quite bright and breathy sounding. 

Funny you mentioned changing the speaker too - actually just did exactly that. Put an Eminence Maverick into an Express 5:50+ - it has a sensitivity attenuation dial built into the speaker.  Sounds excellent - I'd highly recommend this. 

I'm interested to hear what sonic differences folks heard with the Seth's or others in a T386. Cheers again.
Keep in mind that Seth Lovers are not wax potted by Duncan. If you play at loud volumes, they could squeal. I have an Ibanez Artstar AS73 loaded with Seymour Duncan Antiquities featuring vintage spec windings and wax potting. They sound creamy and sweet (but they are not cheap).
Zeiss likes this post
Jozie I have the 386 also a few others , T146 , 484 , el-ray 3 I sold . I know I wasn't loving the 386's Kent's all that much ether. First I tried Seymour Duncan's a neck phat cat and 59 bridge. It was a improvement and really like them . But one night I thought hey can we do better lol. I happen to have a new LP with 57&57+ that I wasn't loving .I installed the wiring harness and pickups from it . Wow what a difference . My 386 has a ebony fingerboard and the Maple neck just make the 57's pop in away that the Les Paul didn't . Actually have owned a few Gibson 335's and the 386 set-up this way is much nicer .

Was thinking about what Chris said about the Seth lover's not being potted , so true . I had them in a carvin ct6 and did like them but didn't think they were giving me the sound people talked about with them . I have tried the in a few guitars always good and a improvement but found others that worked better to my ear. It's so subjective to the instrument . I didn't think I like 57s because I didn't in my new Les Paul or a SG I had . Now in the 386 I couldn't ask for more . It's so frustrating to find the sound you want or think is there and so gratifying when you find it . Just went down that road with a thinline , now it's a keeper .
One thing Eastman really has right Is the Maple neck on these semi-hollows tonally a real asset.
Jozie likes this post
Fantastic Ziess

Thanks very much indeed for that insight - that's exactly the type of thing I was looking for - cheers!

I had 57s in a 339 a while back but I felt that they were a bit hard sounding in that instrument. I could never get them to sound the way I imagined that the instrument could - always a slight dull thud to them I thought.

However - as you say - the 386 is a maple neck and i feel that's contributing to a kind of breathy, airy sound that I really like. Just not quite getting the harmonic detail that I'd like with the stock KA's. Not bad at all - just that I want everything available out of this guitar as it has a lovely feel and resonance. Plenty of room on a nice smooth FB as well - a joy to play.

I was wondering if Seths might just take it in too thin and bright a direction - I can see/hear why 57's would be a good compliment now that you've pointed this out. 
Not playing at high volumes really - more solo and jams for fun. I am playing a but of jazz, classic rock, funk, pop etc. 

Thanks again Zeiss - very much appreciated.
Josie glad it helped . Something else I recently learned about pickups because I was trying to save a dollars is the neck pickups sound fine in the bridge. I have a sb59 Eastman and again liked it stock very much . Still wanted it different . Changed the magnets as recommended on here to A2's really nice improvement. But looking for a little more rawness out of that guitar tried Gibson T94's . That's Gibson's version of a P90 in a humbucker size . Perfect again and I bought them as open box for alot cheaper and they only had neck models . The neck in the bridge position works great . After doing this I saw a interview with Robin Ford and he said he prefers the same whine pickup in the neck and bridge . I think I got them from musicians friend for around $111. Each .
Finding Eastman has been like striking gold for me . I've actually sold a few Gibson Les Paul's because of how much I prefer the sb59 and two 335's because of the 386 . Oh lol I had a Gibson tv yellow double cut that the neck was a little thin for me anyway and once the 94's got in the sb59 I sold the TV.
One thing More on the 386 I didn't like the cheap wire , potentiometers or caps . The sb59 has much nicer and only changed pickups, 386 everything new including the jack .
Curious how this turns out for you Josie , good luck !
Jozie likes this post
It is a truism about most Asian guitars, even good stuff like Eastman - they have cheap electronics. Usually the first thing I do any with Asian guitar I buy is install a Switchcraft jack. Next would be the pickup selector, because they are usually too tall, and they clunk like a dump truck shifter. As for the pots - I rarely turn them when I play. A little spritz of DeOxit will clean them if they get scratchy.
Zeiss and Jozie like this post
Thanks very much indeed again Zeiss - will let you know where I get to with it.
I am really impressed with the T386 - it has responded well to my tweakings so far. 

Your experience and insights are testimony to the fact that it's all about matching the instrument and the pups.

Would be really interested to hear what others experienced too. 

All the best again

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pickup advice - T386 JohnnyH 3 1,616 04-02-2023, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Jozie
  T386 Hard Case Recommendations ForLoop8890 3 1,232 01-30-2022, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Lukew
  T386 pickup ideas bassface732 4 2,198 11-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Zeiss