T386 Pickup Adjustments and Recommendations
Thanks Chris - just seen that there. I think the T386 is modern rather than 50's wiring isn't it?
Yes mine was and so was the Gibson harness I installed , I did change to orange drops . I've tried them all from high-end oil paper to ceramic . I guess it really doesn't matter much so I compromise with orange .lol
Hey jozie I would stick to modern wiring so fishing everything back in is easier and safer. Funny thing I found playing with vintage versus modern there's no set rules to the sound . Some guitars sound better one way or the other . I usually try both and see . What i really found was potentiometers and there values make a huge difference. I have a thinline that without 500k pots was going to go . Playing at 2am the other night couldn't sleep . Wife asked what were you playing last-night it sounded beautiful . THE THINELINE !!! she couldn't believe it because she would ask me when I was playing it before(trying to love it lol ). Please change out guitars to something I like ...

We all love pics so here's my 386
Jozie likes this post
[Image: 3sME420.jpg]
Jozie likes this post
LOL - getting a compliment from the wife is right up there Zeiss - well done on that! High praise indeed!

Lovely looking instrument - the Eastman red is fantastic with the grain visible - looks tremendous. 

I was an electronics engineer many moons ago and used to use all of the different cap formats for very different specific, properties - operating range, tolerance, voltage ratings etc. Somehow, I can't quite convince myself that the cap types make a difference in a passive circuit at audible audio frequency ranges - differences must be very difficult to identify - although I have tried myself. Paper in Oil - all of that. I think you are right about orange drops - decent caps at a sensible price point. 

Certainly, the R&C values will move the cut off freq for the low pass filter. I think it's 500K audio taper in the T386?
(02-17-2020, 07:23 AM)Zeiss Wrote: [Image: 3sME420.jpg]

Any particular reason that you top wrap?  Is it just to reduce break angle?
I don't remember if pots are 350 or 450 Gibson brand jozie , sorry I'm not going to pull to check anytime soon . Lol
I find that top wrapping is just better , who needs a reason ? Lmao . I base it on a few things . Yes I like taking the load off the bridge. I noticed I lighter feel with less break angle. I like having the stop tail piece close to the body instead of sitting high on the post's . I don't like the break angle to steep and never want the strings touching the back of the bridge. It helps the bridge not bow overtime. It looks cool also !
I have to carvins that I don't top wrap because the stop till peace and bridge are at the perfect angle . If you top wrap them there wouldn't be enough saddle pressure. Almost all my Gibson's are topped wrapped because they meet the criteria . I think it goes back to having neck angle perfect I think . Some Gibson's I've had were a bit off. The carvins are just excellent in their construction.
Jozie likes this post
Hello Jozie,

I read somewhere else in this forum where someone also changed the pickups in their T386 and had to adjust the neck cavity to allow the longer legs to fit.  It is easy enough to take the pick up out and have a look. The Kent Armstrong pickups HPAG-1, HPAC-1 or HPAN-1 are also called Vintage Six Shooter pickups in some markets, which makes them easier to find in google searches  They definitely have the short legs - just tabs really.

Nevertheless, it seems to be a very common mod to change the pickups in the T386, so it shouldn't be an issue. You really can't go wrong with the Seth Lovers, or even the Antiquities.  I have the antiquities in my T59/v and am very happy with them, but I think you would be happy with either of those.  I know there have been some other good suggestions too, so we are spoilt for choice, which makes it more difficult.

It would be great to hear what you did in the end.
Zeiss likes this post
Jozie, did you find a setup or pickups that gave you what you were looking for ? By they way hope you and yours are safe .
Hey you guys I just found this forum and wanted to report a disappointing development about my T386 (that I otherwise am really digging).  I like the Kent Armstrong pickups, especially for clean sounds, but I had some Seth Lovers in a cheap epiphone and wanted to swap them.  Was super excited to hear the Seth Lovers in the Eastman.  Anyway, my guy reported back to me that it couldn't be done.  The pickup routing in the Eastman was too shallow to accommodate the SL pups.  Overall he remarked that the pickup routing was pretty unimpressive (though he was impressed with the guitar otherwise).  Anybody else have these issues?

(Can't figure out how to embed images here. Pictures of the two pickups in comparison and the pickup routing in in the Eastman):

https://imgur.com/a/4AtF0vr

https://imgur.com/a/sQamxP5

(02-15-2020, 05:12 PM)Jozie Wrote: Thanks for your messages guys. Good to meet you. 
Yes - I have adjusted pole pieces etc and got the KAs wounding quite nice. Expected to spend some time with them to see what I could find. 

The issue I heard about with the Seths is that they have vintage (long) legs - rather than the short ones - somebody somewhere mentioned that they had to route out some extra cavity in a T386 to get them in. I may put stainless studs in but think an aluminium TP might make it a bit too bright. Its already quite bright and breathy sounding. 

Funny you mentioned changing the speaker too - actually just did exactly that. Put an Eminence Maverick into an Express 5:50+ - it has a sensitivity attenuation dial built into the speaker.  Sounds excellent - I'd highly recommend this. 

I'm interested to hear what sonic differences folks heard with the Seth's or others in a T386. Cheers again.

Just saw this message re: my Seth Lover pickup swap woes.  I'm not routing out extra cavity space, fugeddaboutit.
Seems odd but who knows ?
I installed the Gibson 57's which are exactly the same dimension to depth as the Duncan's with no people . Hopefully he took some pics you can share .
Still sometimes you have to do a little work to get things to fit on any guitar. I just changed a bridge on a telecaster and had to open up the rout a little .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pickup advice - T386 JohnnyH 3 1,616 04-02-2023, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Jozie
  T386 Hard Case Recommendations ForLoop8890 3 1,233 01-30-2022, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Lukew
  T386 pickup ideas bassface732 4 2,198 11-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Zeiss