Recording King Series 11 000
Speaking of vintage vibe and tone -- and on this page recently, Martin's Streetmaster and 00015 , and the Guild M-20 -- I just picked up this guy. 

Sale price wow at $539.00 CND (no case or bag).

All solid, sitka on mahog, padauk fingerboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle, scale 24.9",  1 3/4 nut. 

Super lightweight, with a light satin finish, it's got its own voice, for sure --woody, airy, clear, resonant (really good note separation)-- and is playable/responsive as all-get-out. The intonation's pretty much spot on.  A comparison to a Waterloo 14 I tried in a shop works only roughly; *similar* feel and overall tone, but obviously not in the same league for touch and shimmer. 

The c- neck is slightly less chunky than those on the Eastmans, but it's a minor adjustment for me. The tuners hold quite well (some humidity shifts these days); might swap 'em later. 

Predictably, there's not a ton of volume in a jam setting (especially playing fingerstyle) but the Fishman sonitone is serviceable; in fact it sounds less "quacky" in this instrument than in others i've heard, maybe because of the lightness of the top? I use electronics mostly for practising with a looper anyway. 

Checking out the inside with a compact mirror, I was pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness of the construction and fit, no glue globs or glitches or misalignment of bracing that I could notice. 

A caution: RK has had some quality control issues --out-of the-box set up can be notoriously hit and miss, fret work iffy --but my local dealer had several in stock: we chose the nicest, and the set up was straightforward on this one, truss rod and a little saddle sanding. I'd advise a hands-on audition if you can get to one or, if buying online, a trusted vendor (with a good returns policy) who will give the instrument some careful attention before it goes out the door. 

Very good couch companion and haul-around. Feels so far like a keeper.
sleigh likes this post

Attached Files

eastman ar403ce
eastman ac222ce-ov
taylor 322 12 fret
recording  king, series 11-000
recording king ro-328
godin exit 22
I've heard good things about Recording King guitars -- and some less-good things, such as the hit-or-miss QC issues you mentioned. Definitely a guitar you'd want to play hands-on before purchasing. Looks like you got a good 'un, Noah!
noah likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Noah, congrats on the new RK!  It's definitely good to see and play in person, and it seems like you got a good one.  Enjoy it!
noah likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
thanks gents!

yup, this one's pretty fine.
very comfortable to play -- and sings sweetly.
(gas quelled ... for the moment.  ; )
eastman ar403ce
eastman ac222ce-ov
taylor 322 12 fret
recording king ro-328
godin exit 22
Congratulations Noah!

Sounds as if you have a nice guitar for a very reasonable price!

I have also read that it is important to try the Recording Kings in person, and when you find a good one, you really have a lot of guitar for the money.

Enjoy!

Rod
noah likes this post
(07-11-2022, 08:08 AM)Guzzi Fan Wrote: Congratulations Noah!

Sounds as if you have a nice guitar for a very reasonable price!

I have also read that it is important to try the Recording Kings in person, and when you find a good one, you really have a lot of guitar for the money.

Enjoy!

Rod

thanks rod! 

yeah, i've been putting in some time with it (different finger picking styles of attack), and the better i get to know it, the more i appreciate its lightness and character/ personality.

sleigh and noah like this post
eastman ar403ce
eastman ac222ce-ov
taylor 322 12 fret
recording king ro-328
godin exit 22
Very nice looking guitar! I have a RD-328 that I bought from Chicago Music Exchange for $699.99 that is a GREAT guitar for under $1000. It seems as though Recording King is trying to be the new budget guitar champion! Good luck to them and to you.

PS: I should mention their RD-342. It is a Martin D42-style dreadnought that has excellent review videos on YouTube.
noah likes this post
hey Noah
 any chance you can measure the string spacing on the bridge and nut?
Cannot find it anywhere.
thanks
mike
(01-20-2023, 11:15 AM)MKRILEY Wrote: hey Noah
Cannot find it anywhere.
thanks
mike

If you are buying from Thomann you will be facing import duty, so be prepared!
But try this for spec :-
https://www.thomann.de/gb/recording_king...id_ooo.htm
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(01-02-2023, 10:23 PM)campacj Wrote: Very nice looking guitar! I have a RD-328 that I bought from Chicago Music Exchange for $699.99 that is a GREAT guitar for under $1000. It seems as though Recording King is trying to be the new budget guitar champion! Good luck to them and to you.

PS: I should mention their RD-342. It is a Martin D42-style dreadnought that has excellent review videos on YouTube.

i played the sibling --an ro-328-- at a local shop; liked it lots. the nut felt wider than 1 3/4", or maybe it was the string spacing at the nut that made it seem roomier. bonus. i wasn't sure of the tone at first --punchy with lots of resonance-- but it grew on me very quickly. fingerpicked with the pads yielded something piano-like. i was seriously tempted.

(01-20-2023, 11:15 AM)MKRILEY Wrote: hey Noah
Cannot find it anywhere.
thanks
mike

will do -- and dm you.
eastman ar403ce
eastman ac222ce-ov
taylor 322 12 fret
recording king ro-328
godin exit 22

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post