NGD Eastman El Rey 4.. Video @ post#14
updated edit:

Been kickin tires for a while, finally landed..... 2018 El Rey 4 came in today.  ER4 is beyond magnificent... no words.  The weight/balance is the first thing I noticed, fit-finish is boutique, plays like a dream.  The sound ports are very easy to get acquainted with acoustically, plugged in the PAF humbucker is just plain sweet - bass, mids, trebs. Gotoh closed gear tuners are excellent.  

New photos....

ER4 front:
[Image: cmuPtsW.jpg]

ER4 mahogany back & headstock:
[Image: TJ3jPQb.jpg]

For size compare, the E20OM-TC & ER4 side by side:
[Image: f6qPcEW.jpg]

ps... don't know if this is std with every ER4, but this Alt Bridge came with mine.  May have been included because it was at the Summer NAMM show?  Anyway, for those who want to get away from the ebony saddle... here's another path to the grail:
[Image: dTBbJw6.jpg]
Congrats, Bert!  That's such a beautiful and uniquely designed archtop.  Can't wait to hear and see more about it.
PV, this was a Summer NAMM model from Eastman, Blue Angel has another beautiful sunburst.  They gave me a super price, shipped within an hour, (Pensacola is nor far away) and will be here by noon tomorrow, update, yes it came.

Long ago, there was a guy who would drop in once in a rare while on the UBGF with a tune or two on his ER2... never forget his vibe.  He would dub two lead tracks together like they were married, fabulous.  (UBGF had no appreciation for such, ouch but true)  Thanks a zil to Tim and EGF for this elec/arch section.  Smoke on the Water is lurking for the ER4, or maybe Jumpin Jack Flash.  hee

BlueAngels pic before purchase:
[Image: JomGq2P.jpg]
Wowzers! Your photos look even better than the ones you posted earlier. Fantastic looking guitar, and glad to hear that it plays as good as it looks.
(08-04-2018, 08:32 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Wowzers! Your photos look even better than the ones you posted earlier. Fantastic looking guitar, and glad to hear that it plays as good as it looks.

B-E-utiful :-) Have fun with it and play it till your fingers hurt!

I wrote Eastman about the ER4 and possibly adding a bridge pickup and I was told it cannot have a bridge pup because its "X" braced and a humbucker would not fit. It's curious that they changed bracing from parallel on earlier models.

They suspected that a P-90 type of pup would fit but it would be (to my pocketbook) very expensive. They were VERY accommodating though and would have investigated it further for me and create one out of current stock. Someday I'll probably find an earlier ER to scratch that itch.
Regards,

Gary
Thanks Gary, PV.. stop me when the gush gets too deep.

Otto D'Ambrosio designed the ER4 for Eastman, in jazz circles he is one of the elite builders, I think is fair to say.  The arch he built for Julian Lage is a work to behold, check utube.

I spent a good bit of time last night marveling at the complex geometric, hand carved hybrid florentine cutaway.  The details are almost impossible to capture in a 2-D photo, plus no matter the angle - the light glare finds the camera.  How the top, back, neck block, bindings, etc come together is just fascinating... Eastman carvers are elite is what I think.

I've marveled at Eastman craftmanship for years with their hand carved braces on flattops, arched tops / backs of orchestral instuments/archtops/elecs, etc...  the multi bindings on this guitar and how they all come together at the florentine is just over the top.  
[Image: WmoQVmY.jpg]
Beautiful guitar!  Congratulations!

I see you have purchased from Blues Angel Music.  Have you purchased other guitars from them and do you recommend this retailer?

They seem to have great prices on guitars.
Wildfield, this is my first experience with Blue Angels, I bought my E20OM-TC last year from LA Guitar Sales... both are excellent.

PV can tell you all about how to NOT pack a guitar for shipment.  Blue Angels packing was as good as it gets, even had a slim bubble pack under the tail piece of the ER4,  + + + to Ben in shipping at Blue Angels.
Bert --- that guitar is a work of art.  My goodness.  What a beauty.  Everything about that guitar is unique... the top, the hand carved holes, the neck, inlay, bindings.  Congratulations and look forward to hearing/seeing more in the future.  BTW:  Who makes the pickup that is in it?
Bert: those curves.

Tim: the specs say it’s Kent Armstrong

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman AR805ce (video added post #8) Bert 20 5,818 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Bert