NGD - Eastman E1D-TC? Review
Earlier this week I received a $500 bonus that let me purchase an E1D. This is my 10th Eastman over the past decade and I am super pleased to announce that this is hands down the best budget guitar I have ever owned. 

I placed my order with Fuller Guitars out of Houston TX because the top on this E1D looked particularly dark. I am convinced based on the number of Eastmans I have owned and the number of E1D's I have played that this is a TC top. Based on the pictures what do you think?

INSPECTION:

The guitar arrived earlier today in perfect condition. The guitar was well packed and it survived shipping without any damage. 

Shipping a packaging gets a 10/10

SETUP:

Out of the box this was the best Eastman I have every played in the last 10 years. The action was nearly perfect, the relief was just where I like it. The nut wasn't slotted to high or too low. The guitar plays easily with lots of saddle left. I am pretty picky about my action but this one was either set up really well from Eastman or Fullers did some adjustments on it. 

One day later I noticed that there was some slight buzzing on the low E string that I think is coming from a high fret. A 1/8 of an adjustment on the truss rod got rid of most of it. For the price this guitar still played better than just about any other acoustic I have ever purchased new and this is expected when a guitar is shipped 500+ miles to its new home.

Setup gets a 9.5/10

AESTHETICS:

I heard someone on this forum (or maybe Facebook) say that they were unsure why anyone would spend $500 on a guitar if they already owned some high end acoustics. For me, this guitar is a perfect "take anywhere" guitar. It doesn't look cheap and the materials don't appear to be B stock. The Sitka top is dark and has even straight grain. The sapele is also very uniform without any noticable flaws. Overall it looks like a classic satin Dreadnaught-not cheaper, just different than other guitars I have owned. The pickguard is a more red pepperoni style, but the color matches the Sapele really well. Just a classic beautiful dread! Smile

Overall I give the aesthetics a 9.5/10

TONE:

My Initial impression of the tone is that it has a lot of depth and clarity.The highs are bright (brighter than I like, but the strings are also very new). The mids are warm and very strong. The bass is there but not overwhelming. Overall, it is very balanced like a good Collings.

There is also a bit of dryness and immediacy to the tone right from the start. I haven't heard this on other E1D's I have played over the past 5 years. Because of this, and along with the darkness of the top I am convinced I got an unmarked TC model. 

To which is better (properly aged Sitka or a new top that has been torrefied) I am not sure. The tone is different than any other E1D I have played. 

Overall this guitar sounds like cross between my E2OM and my D-18 standard. It's got some of the warmth of cedar with the overtones of my D18.

Also, another perk is that the guitar responds well to being fingerpicked. It feels very responsive and lightly built. I think this will make a good stage guitar.

Tonally, the E1D has a lot of warmth, dryness, clarity and top end brightness. It is also very loud. I would say for the price the tone is probably 10/10, but for my person tastes it's just a little lower. 

I give the tone a 9/10. 

With different strings and time I think this is going to be a phenomenal instrument.

NECK:

The neck feels very similar to my E2OM, but it may be just slightly skinnier. To me it feels like a really good medium C profile. It's not too big or too small. It's probably the most uniform and comfortable neck of any Eastman I have owned. It feels very right down the middle in all its dimensions. I cannot imagine any player complaining about the neck, except that it feels slightly heavy compared to the rest of the guitar.

I give the neck a 9.5/10

FIT and FINISH:

The overall fit and finish of the guitar is good. I think this may be the best fit and finish I have seen on any Eastman I have owned new from the factory. It's not perfect but it's solid. By solid I mean it was a bit better than the $3000 Gibson 50's J45 I bought in April. The only two flaws I could see is at the heel of the heck there was a slightly sharp point. 60 seconds with some 1000 grit sandpaper fixed that. The other is that there is a tiny hole up by the headstock. My E2OM also had something like this.

9.5/10

BUILD QUALITY

The guitar feels lightly constructed with quite a bit more weight in the neck. The saddle is high and the action is low-which means the neck is set properly.

***Update, time will tell on the tuners. There is some initial slippage that may be due to new strings or a tight nut slot. I will try to update on high the tuners wear over time.

9/10 Build Quality 

CONCLUSION/FINAL THOUGHTS:

For the price this guitar cannot be beaten. This isn't just a good guitar for the money, this is a good guitar period. It reminds me of my $1500 Martin OMCPA4 that I gigged with for many many years until it developed some neck issues. 

Again, this is probably the best Eastman I have ever owned right out of the box-and this is saying a lot considering is spent $2000 on a E20SS/V back in March. 

Does it sound as vintage or warm as my E20SS/V? No it does not, but it has some unique tonal qualities of it's own. And for a guitar I take with me when I play out and not worry about, these models are an insane value. For a live setting I imagine this will work really well. 

I forgot to mention that the body does feel a little smaller and a little shallower than the Eastman Dreads I have owned in the past. I didn't notice that affecting the tone too much. I think the slightly smaller body will be a little easier to play in a live setting. 

I have a LR Baggs Anthem that I am going to have installed next week. I will do a follow up of the plugged in tone once I get some play time in with it. 

I am also convinced that the Bourgeois company has improved Eastman's QC over the past couple of years. Eastman has always been a good value for materials but it feels nice to finally get one of their guitars that doesn't have an annoying flaw. Well done guys! 

Who is this guitar for? Well obviously any beginner or intermediate player could greatly benefit from a guitar in the 1 series; however, even if you have an extensive collection like myself; this model could make a very good travel, or dare I say "beater" guitar. From the quality and tone, to the aesthesis and playability, this one will not leave you wanting more. Honestly if this was the only guitar I owned I could probably do everything I need an acoustic to do and more.

Well done guys! You hit it out of the park.

I give it a 96/100. There is not much to dislike about the guitar.

[Image: dzx7BIw.jpg][Image: xDRB4iq.jpg][Image: m1wCj3N.jpg][Image: dQ8lOe2.jpg][Image: HyIVfXT.jpg][Image: 1VkWpJq.jpg][Image: BhwdORz.jpg]
AlanSam, Winfielder, SasquatchLife, sleigh like this post
Congratulations Josh. A lot of guitar for little money. I think you are correct on the TC top. I have owned 3-4 Sitka Eastmans and played a bunch more and they all were much whiter in color than yours. Enjoy the new guitar
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Great looking guitar for the $$$ Josh. Sure looks like a TC top. Glad to see Eastman producing great budget guitars. Enjoy!

Don
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Enjoy the new guitar, Josh. May you still feel the same way about the guitar years from now!
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I played it again tonight and I am blown away by how much response and resonance this guitar has. It sustains forever. The overtones are very strong and in some ways the guitar already sounds broken in. In other ways I can tell it's still a new guitar. Anyway, the resonance and response further confirm my suspension of a TC top. It has a similar but bit dryer sound than the 2017 E10D-TC I once owned.
AlanSam and Winfielder like this post
Congratulations!

I also have an E1D that most likely has a TC top (serial number & color make me think so), and I agree with your general observations, except thst mine has the thickest neck of any Eastman I ever tried (still just "medium plus", not super chunky, eg compared to my Telecasters with "baseball bat" necks).

The factory strings are rather bright, indeed (D'Addario XT, I believe), I have been experimenting with others a bit:
D'Addario NIBs didn't make a huge difference.
Martin Retros make the E1D sound really old-timey, lots of mids, tamed treble, but also a bit less bass. My favorites so far.
GHS Vintage Bronze - also slightly tamed treble, but not as much as the Retros. They sojnd quite nice (like well broken in PB strings), but feel a bit rough on the fingers.
Winfielder and AlanSam like this post
Eastman E1D, Iris OG, Guild GAD30, The Loar LH300, Harmony H167
Congrats! I also own an E1D-Cla . I know that it does not have a TC top and it still sounds great. I can only imagine what yours may sound like!!
Eastman E1SS                                       Guild D40E
Eastman AC322ce                                  Guild D20E
                                                            Guild D2512 12 string
Eastman  E1D-CLA  (Split Bridge Sad )      G&L ASAT Special Tribute                            
Eastman E2D-BK   (Lifting Bridge  Angry )         
That is a very nice looking top...just a slight bit of runout, but very straight grained and it does look aged.  I have to agree, my first Eastman was this same guitar I bought as a beater, but among my way more expensive acoustics it draws me in to play it.  It's just got some kind of mojo!  Mine is very heavy and very sturdily built compared to my others, but what I find strange is that I can feel the vibrations of the wood everywhere, which usually equates to a lightly built acoustic, this is not. It even has side braces. Everything inside is cleaner than my Martin's and equals my Breedlove Oregon Concert and my Andrew White which are immaculately crafted and cost "way more". The kerfing notches are perfect, as sign of precise build.  If I could add one thing to JPhenderson's review is this guitar has huge headroom, more than my 74 D-18. I've always been a mahogany fan, but have had several rosewood dreads and still have an Martin OM-28.  Sapele is IMO a great wood for B/S due to its much heavier, denser and stronger than true mahogany. Which also makes it a great guitar for playing out and flatpicking, the mids and trebles just have this clarity, with a solid dry bass. It is very balanced and when I put Elixir PB 12's this guitar just got even seriously crazy better after a few months of playing, it just blooms with tone and resonance!! Mine was built in 2021 and was new old stock I got at Acoustic Corner in Black Mountain NC. I did lower the saddle just a tad. 

Only negative for me, but not really that much, is it's just too loud to record with for me...it's very responsive but takes more EQing.  I only use mikes to record with no pickups. I will post some pics of it later. I do have to say it's a "great" guitar at any price and for $600 bucks that is just crazy.
PS: I actually really dig the gigbag as well, something I never thought I would over hard cases.
AlanSam and SasquatchLife like this post
Another great review Josh - comprehensive and detailed.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
There were a few more small details I noticed today when playing the guitar that I needed to update in my review. The guitar needed a slight adjustment on the truss rod as it is acclimating from the Houston area climate to my house 500 miles away. Nothing big, but I wanted to reflect it in my write up. The verdict is still out on the tuners. (Not a deal breaker since these can easily be upgraded but since they aren't made by Eastman I can't dock the guitar too much)

My general thoughts are the same. The guitar has some amazing MOJO as nobodeuno said. There is some beautiful dryness to the tone that I think is coming from the darker top. Response and resonance is off the charts. Lots of guitar, not a lot of $$$
SasquatchLife, nobodeuno, Winfielder like this post