Help!
So, I was just about to call Sweetwater when someone on the AGF forum messaged me about wanting to to a trade.   He has a 2018 Custom Shop D-18 with Adi top that he'd like to trade for my E20.  He wants $1500 cash.  I'm nervous about doing a trade as I've never done one before.  What do you think?  Any advice?  Part of me just wants to do the sure thing and call Sweetwater but I'm also worried that I'm being chicken and could get a much nicer guitar.  HELP
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
The D18 @ AGF looks nice*. And I wouldn’t have any doubts about the seller. Plus, he’d be taking the Eastman off your hands, so it’s a bird in hand.

Calculations I’d make; how much would it cost to ship the Eastman. Is the seller going to accept responsibility if D18 is damaged during shipping, am I prepared to take Eastman back (and eat shipping) if it’s damaged? Also, do I want an Adirondack topped D18?

With Sweetwater you’ll be getting a new D18 with warranty, and they’ll probably be standup if there’s damage during shipping.

Tough call, but a good problem to have.

*assuming we’re talking about the D18 with the burst and GE specs.
Pura Vida and vashondan like this post
(08-20-2021, 11:42 AM)eastmanschool Wrote: The D18 @ AGF looks nice*. And I wouldn’t have any doubts about the seller. Plus, he’d be taking the Eastman off your hands, so it’s a bird in hand.

Calculations I’d make; how much would it cost to ship the Eastman. Is the seller going to accept responsibility if D18 is damaged during shipping, am I prepared to take Eastman back (and eat shipping) if it’s damaged? Also, do I want an Adirondack topped D18?

With Sweetwater you’ll be getting a new D18 with warranty, and they’ll probably be standup if there’s damage during shipping.

Tough call, but a good problem to have.

*assuming we’re talking about the D18 with the burst and GE specs.

Thanks, no, not a burst.  I didn't see that.  At the end of the day I'll probably kick myself but I went with the sure thing.  Partially I just don't know enough about acoustics and if I find that the dread just isn't for me I can either return the one from Sweetwater or trade for something else. Glad it's done one way or the other.
AlanSam, Pura Vida, sleigh like this post
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
Don’t sweat it. You can’t go wrong.

See PM.
Pura Vida likes this post
I'd've gone your route as well, FWIW.
vashondan likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Hey, what tension strings do you use on your dreads?  The D18 comes with mediums and I'm wondering about how practical that is for fingerstyle?
D18 

Joni Mitchell
Mediums seem more common on Martin dreads, while Eastman dreads are built for light gauge strings.  My fingers don't care for Medium strings, so that would be a deciding factor for me.  Some people like the Bluegrass grade, which is Medium for the wrapped strings with lighter gauge on the unwrapped strings.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
You could also try GHS Thin Core Mediums. They have the tension of lights but the thickness of medium

THIN CORE PHOSPHOR BRONZE 6-STRING - Medium013-056 013 017 TCB21 TCB32 TCB41 TCB56
Pura Vida and vashondan like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Yeah, the strings will be an experience.  Is it ok to change to lights? I mean does it lead to having to do other adjustments?
D18 

Joni Mitchell
You might need a truss rod adjustment, but otherwise, the setup should be able to handle going up or down a level.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young