Help!
(08-20-2021, 06:01 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: You might need a truss rod adjustment, but otherwise, the setup should be able to handle going up or down a level.

I've read a number of threads on AGF and many D18 owners have switched to lights without the truss rod adjustment. I would probably wait a bit until I was sure I was keeping it and take it for a set up and change the strings then.
sleigh and AlanSam like this post
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
Dan, thinking about strings for your D-18. My knowledge of strings is pretty rudimentary but I seem to remember someone mentioning an intermediate gauge - medium lights :- https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChc...ARBj&adurl=. Maybe they would be worth a try at some stage? Looking at them they seem to be the same as lights but with slightly heavier top (e and b) two strings at 54 and 44 respectively. However, I noticed some strings which do seem to be a truer 'intermediate' gauge (12.5, 16.5, 25.5w, 33.5w, 43.5w and 55w) uncoated PBs :- https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-...ngs-p13361

But as I say I am rather out of my depth here.
vashondan likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(08-21-2021, 03:03 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Dan, thinking about strings for your D-18. My knowledge of strings is pretty rudimentary but I seem to remember someone mentioning an intermediate gauge - medium lights :- https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChc...ARBj&adurl=. Maybe they would be worth a try at some stage? Looking at them they seem to be the same as lights but with slightly heavier top (e and b) two strings at 54 and 44 respectively. However, I noticed some strings which do seem to be a truer 'intermediate' gauge (12.5, 16.5, 25.5w, 33.5w, 43.5w and 55w) uncoated PBs :- https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-...ngs-p13361

But as I say I am rather out of my depth here.
Thanks for those links Alan.  I'll give them a look.  I was thinking the same thing about those twixt and tween sets.  We'll see how the mediums feel.  When I first bought my Eastmans it was an adjustment going from 10's on my Telecasters to the 12's but it was a pretty quick adjustment.
AlanSam likes this post
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
Hey Vash,

Welcome to the world of Martin, I made the leap to a Custom Shop 18 this summer, there's a lot on tap in those guitars.

As far as string gauge goes, my focus now is on flatpicking, so I'm using mediums most of the time and sometimes true mediums. Interestingly, there was a thread on lights vs mediums on a dread just a week or so back on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (nice place). There were a couple of players who swore that switching to lights destroyed the sound of the guitar and they immediately switched back to mediums. Of course, there were just as many or more who claimed they only play lights on their guitars and love them. I think it really boils down to what genre you play and your attack. A fingerstyle player with a light attack will probably favor lights, unless they fingerpick strongly with finger picks. A bluegrasser who needs volume for ensemble work will want mediums and use a really thick pick.

For me the weakness of lights is the plinky tone of the E and B strings. One compromise are "true medium" gauge. The have 13, 17, & 56 for the E,B, and low e strings, the rest of the strings are light gauge. The overall string tension for the set is halfway between lights and mediums.

The D-18 is really going to shine with mediums, there's definitely a difference in power and volume (if that's important to you). I think I would advise you to get the guitar set up for mediums and live with them for awhile (and get rid of those Lifespan strings). My 18 came plekked from the factory with very high action (7.5 & 5/64") and the nut slots were outrageously high. Luckily, I've been a luthier for a long time and have the tools and experience to do set ups. At any rate, do get a pro set up (I don't know if SW does nut slots on acoustics). If you do switch to lights, the most the guitar may need is relaxing the truss rod a quarter turn. The reimagined Martin dreads have light scalloped bracing and you'll find a lot of character in your guitar.

Enjoy your new Martin and check out UMGF to find out more than you'll ever want to know about D-18s. Stay well- RB
AlanSam and vashondan like this post
(08-21-2021, 05:17 AM)RoyBoy Wrote: Hey Vash,

Welcome to the world of Martin, I made the leap to a Custom Shop 18 this summer, there's a lot on tap in those guitars.

As far as string gauge goes, my focus now is on flatpicking, so I'm using mediums most of the time and sometimes true mediums. Interestingly, there was a thread on lights vs mediums on a dread just a week or so back on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (nice place). There were a couple of players who swore that switching to lights destroyed the sound of the guitar and they immediately switched back to mediums. Of course, there were just as many or more who claimed they only play lights on their guitars and love them. I think it really boils down to what genre you play and your attack. A fingerstyle player with a light attack will probably favor lights, unless they fingerpick strongly with finger picks. A bluegrasser who needs volume for ensemble work will want mediums and use a really thick pick.

For me the weakness of lights is the plinky tone of the E and B strings. One compromise are "true medium" gauge. The have 13, 17, & 56 for the E,B, and low e strings, the rest of the strings are light gauge. The overall string tension for the set is halfway between lights and mediums.

The D-18 is really going to shine with mediums, there's definitely a difference in power and volume (if that's important to you). I think I would advise you to get the guitar set up for mediums and live with them for awhile (and get rid of those Lifespan strings). My 18 came plekked from the factory with very high action (7.5 & 5/64") and the nut slots were outrageously high. Luckily, I've been a luthier for a long time and have the tools and experience to do set ups. At any rate, do get a pro set up (I don't know if SW does nut slots on acoustics). If you do switch to lights, the most the guitar may need is relaxing the truss rod a quarter turn. The reimagined Martin dreads have light scalloped bracing and you'll find a lot of character in your guitar.

Enjoy your new Martin and check out UMGF to find out more than you'll ever want to know about D-18s. Stay well- RB

Thank much.  I'm going to stay with the mediums at least a few weeks.  Want to make sure I love the guitar before doing anything different.  At that point I'll take it for a set up and hopefully will know whether I want to go to lights.  I think its probably true that for the full character of the guitar mediums are best but I don't know if I have an ear that hears that difference.  We'll see.  I guess I'll leave the lifespans on till I make the final decision about keeping it.
D18 

Joni Mitchell
Congrats on ordering the D18! I would keep the lifespans on until you get a set-up, you never know you may end up liking the strings. Also do visit UMGF for any Martin info you may need as the folks there know Martins better than any other forum. Good luck with your new Martin! 

I'd would definitely check them out for string choices, here's a sample

https://umgf.com/martin-the-original-gui...14524.html
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
(08-21-2021, 07:58 AM)sagebrush tom Wrote: Congrats on ordering the D18! I would keep the lifespans on until you get a set-up, you never know you may end up liking the strings. Also do visit UMGF for any Martin info you may need as the folks there know Martins better than any other forum. Good luck with your new Martin! 

I'd would definitely check them out for string choices, here's a sample

https://umgf.com/martin-the-original-gui...14524.html

Thanks Tom.  Yeah, that's my plan.  Thanks for the link.  I've been over to the site but haven't fully acclimated myself.  I was going to look today for threads on strings.
D18 

Joni Mitchell
If you're still looking MF has those custom D18s (sort of) with torrified adi tops again.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

At least at 12:25 cst they were still available.
(08-21-2021, 10:26 AM)Vapour Wrote: If you're still looking MF has those custom D18s (sort of) with torrified adi tops again.

No, the deeds been done.  One on the way but thanks!  Thats a great price though. Especially with the Adi top.
D18 

Joni Mitchell
(08-21-2021, 10:29 AM)vashondan Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 10:26 AM)Vapour Wrote: If you're still looking MF has those custom D18s (sort of) with torrified adi tops again.

No, the deeds been done.  One on the way but thanks!  Thats a great price though. Especially with the Adi top. 

I should read the whole thread, congrats!