Eastman SB54/vLTD
I recently purchased a new Eastman SB54/LTD #19 of 40. I love everthing about the guitar except that the three ply binding on one high E side of the neck has little black showing flecks showing in the thick white stripe of the binding. Has anyone else had this issue show up? They appear to be little pits where the black plastic shows thru the white stripe.

Attached Files

Hi Billy, and welcome! Just out of interest, any chance of a picture of the full front? Also, are the black spots on top of the binding? Rub your nail across one of them?
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(03-06-2021, 01:01 PM)AlanSam Wrote: Hi Billy, and welcome! Just out of interest, any chance of a picture of the full front? Also, are the black spots on top of the binding? Rub your nail across one of them?

They are not a raised spot, more like a small pit that is black in color. Like there has been chemical damage or the piece of binding was not manufactured properly. The seller say he has seen similar spots on other Eastman Guitars with Varnish finish.

Attached Files

I can only say that I have an E10ooss/v with a varnish finish and no problems with the binding. I take it you bought it from a private seller rather than a shop?
Alan
(03-06-2021, 03:55 PM)AlanSam Wrote: I can only say that I have an E10ooss/v with a varnish finish and no problems with the binding. I take it you bought it from a private seller rather than a shop?

I bought from a shop in CA
I am not aware of this being a known problem with Eastman guitars - varnish or otw. I certainly don't believe it is an intentional feature of relicing. Others may weigh in with their experiences. How much of an issue is this for you? Ultimately if it is unacceptable to you ask for an exchange, or refund or maybe a partial refund. The fact that the seller claims to have seen similar examples is neither here nor there. IMO it is a fault, albeit a relatively minor one.
Alan
(03-06-2021, 05:06 PM)AlanSam Wrote: I am not aware of this being a known problem with Eastman guitars - varnish or otw. I certainly don't believe it is an intentional feature of relicing. Others may weigh in with their experiences. How much of an issue is this for you? Ultimately if it is unacceptable to you ask for an exchange, or refund or maybe a partial refund. The fact that the seller claims to have seen similar examples is neither here nor there. IMO it is a fault, albeit a relatively minor one.

I sent a pcture to Eastman and asked them tell me their thoughts. The guitar has amazing resonance, the frets have a mirror finish, and it plays great. It is my first guitar with P90's and I am enjoying them. I payed ($2450) full MSRP as it is a limited run of only 40 guitars (mine #19 of 40). That being said I expected not have see this type of a blemish. I hope Eastman will help out somehow.
AlanSam likes this post
Billy - good luck and do keep us informed of your progress.
Alan
(03-07-2021, 01:36 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Billy - good luck and do keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks for your input!!!
AlanSam likes this post
(03-07-2021, 09:22 AM)Billy Lee Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 01:36 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Billy - good luck and do keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks for your input!!! 

Update,

Did you know that Eastman has a marketing group in southern CA called Eastman Strings Co. I contacted Dan Skatvold there mArketing director, sent pictures, and received the following response.

Quote: 
Quote:Begin forwarded message:

Quote:From: Dan Skatvold <[email protected]>
Date: March 8, 2021 at 12:30:14 PM MST
To: Billy Lee <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Possible Blemish
Quote:Hi Billy,

Thanks for sending these along. Those pictures were great. 
I see what you are referring to on the neck binding. This is not something we would consider a defect or blemish. It is something we see on our antique varnish instruments and can happen during the antiquing/aging process. If you would like to return the guitar to LA Guitars please work with them on that. If not I hope you enjoy the guitar and find some amazing tones with it. 

Thank You
Dan Skatvold
Eastman Guitars Fretted Product Manager

I returned the guitar to LA Guitar Sales at my expense, UPS ground and insured for $97 with the following message. 
Quote:If I would have been informed that the varnish finished guitars would have the binding altered by the antiquing process causing black specs to show up I would not have ordered the guitar in the first place. I feel your future customers should be informed of the appearance before buying the instrument as it becomes a expensive and disappointing experience for you and your customer. 

Respectfully, 
Billy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SB54/V-LTD-BK Pickups Seths Cat 1 310 04-02-2024, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Seths Cat