Eastman E10D-TC
I am awaiting my new Eastman E10D-TC to arrive on Friday. This will be a companion to my 2010 Eastman EP20 which I bought new for $800 (actually, the store demo). That has been a great guitar over the years, especially for blues and old time music. 

Since Im in to more flat picking these days - and Martin D18 and HD28 are out of my price range, How does E10 D-TC hold up to Martin, especially the D18? I know this is purely subjective, both are great guitars. I just want to know the opinion of others.

Thanks, 

TomtheBaptist
(Recovering Baptist)
From one Tom to another
Welcome to the EGF. This is strictly my opinion -

I like the tone of the Eastman dreads vs Martin - a little more balanced and not as bass heavy especially the rosewood versions. I like the Eastman necks vs the Martin Modified Low Oval - the MLO is a little thin for my preference. I like the upgraded torrefied Adirondack over the standard Sitka - I think you get more power and headroom from the Adirondack but the top is only part of it. Also just the cost of the upgrade to a VTS Adirondack top from Martin will cost about what the entire Eastman sells for. I think the quality is comparable if not slightly better on the Eastman. I don't remember hearing about loose binding or needing neck resets on fairly new Eastman guitars.

Things I don't like - the Martin's have a lighter build compared to the equivalent Eastman model. If you are expecting that classic Martin D-18 or D-28 tone, you will be disappointed. (See comment about balance above). Fortunately for me I don't really have a preference.  Although in the right hands a classic sounding D-18 can be mesmerizing. 

Bottom line - the Eastman dreads in all of their permutations are an excellent choice and not just "for the money". The one caveat being the Eastman tone is different than the equivalent Martin. Congratulations on your new in-coming guitar. Posts some pics. I love the look of the mahogany backs on Eastmans. 

TomC
(Recovering Catholic)
sleigh likes this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(02-14-2024, 10:48 AM)TomC Wrote: From one Tom to another

I like the tone of the Eastman dreads vs Martin - a little more balanced and not as bass heavy especially the rosewood versions. I like the Eastman necks vs the Martin Modified Low Oval - the MLO is a little thin for my preference. I like the upgraded torrefied Adirondack over the standard Sitka - I think you get more power and headroom from the Adirondack but the top is only part of it. Also just the cost of the upgrade to a VTS Adirondack top from Martin will cost about what the entire Eastman sells for. I think the quality is comparable if not slightly better on the Eastman. I don't remember hearing about loose binding or needing neck resets on fairly new Eastman guitars.

Things I don't like - the Martin's have a lighter build compared to the equivalent Eastman model. If you are expecting that classic Martin D-18 or D-28 tone, you will be disappointed. (See comment about balance above). Fortunately for me I don't really have a preference.  Although in the right hands a classic sounding D-18 can be mesmerizing. 

Bottom line - the Eastman dreads in all of their permutations are an excellent choice and not just "for the money". The one caveat being the Eastman tone is different than the equivalent Martin. Congratulations on your new in-coming guitar. Posts some pics. I love the look of the mahogany backs on Eastmans. 

TomC
(Recovering Catholic)

Thank you TomC. Nice to meet you. My initials are TC, too!
TomC likes this post
(02-14-2024, 12:26 PM)Tomthebaptist Wrote:

TomC
(Recovering Catholic)

Thank you TomC. Nice to meet you. My initials are TC, too! 

TTB,
I believe Tom is spot on. For me, I would add one word, bold letters, to his comment “If you are expecting the classic Martin D-18 or D-28 tone, you will be HIGHLY disappointed.” I had a really good Eastman E10D-TC last year. It was incredibly balanced and sounded great but nowhere close to a D-18. They both have totally different tones. One thing that disappointed me was that my E40D-TC and the E10D-TC did not perform well in the volume category. My guess is that’s because Eastman changed the size of their lower bout and thickness when Bourgeois purchased them or started their collaboration projects with them. However, however, Eastman makes very fine guitars and are worth every dollar you pay. Some people are chasing a certain tone and character of a guitar and when they find it they will know. I hope you find that tone in your new E10D-TC. Enjoy it and play it a bunch.

Don
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

TomC
(Recovering Catholic)

FWIW -- I own an E10D (non-TC) and love it. Great tone, loud, and my favorite guitar. As TomC says, Eastmans have their own tone that is NOT that of a Martin, but excellent in their own right. 

Steve
(Former Catholic, now non-recovering Atheist)
TomC likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I want to thank every one for your comments.  The E10D - TC arrived on Thursday. Here are my initial impressions:

1. a beautiful guitar, solid construction, clean under the hood.
2. Sound and playability, it’s hard to play, and the sound disappointing. The tone is harsh and brittle.  Hopefully, a change in strings and a good setup will improve the sound. I truly hope so. I will keep you updated.
Tom
Sorry to hear your initial disappointment. Keep us updated. I have always liked DR Rare strings 12-54 on mahogany guitars. Hard to play - sounds like you are the right track with the set up. Good luck and I hope things get figured out.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(02-17-2024, 05:13 PM)TomC Wrote: Tom
Sorry to hear your initial disappointment. Keep us updated. I have always liked DR Rare strings 12-54 on mahogany guitars. Hard to play - sounds like you are the right track with the set up. Good luck and I hope things get figured out.

TomC - Update

Thanks for the tip, TomC.  I like DR string, however, hard to get in our town. I exchanged the D'addario strings with Martin Monel 12-54 and tweaked the adjustment rod a tad. Then let the guitar adjust for couple of hours. Then, I played the snot out of it, flat picking old songs that I loved to play years ago on my Martin D18. I wasn’t expecting the Eastman would sound like a seasoned, played in, Martin D18 (2013) with essentially the same specs as the Eastman except for the spruce top.  Now, I that I know that the tone (though different than the Martin) is there, I’m very much relieved.  The tone is similar to the Santa Cruz OM/PW that I passed along to my son.  So, with all that said, I will lower the saddle, and adjust the nut slots if needed. The Eastman E10D TC  is an exceptional guitar and a great value for the money. 

TomtheBaptist
sleigh and TomC like this post
(02-18-2024, 01:27 PM)Tomthebaptist Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 05:13 PM)TomC Wrote: Tom

TomC - Update

Thanks for the tip, TomC.  I like DR string, however, hard to get in our town. I exchanged the D'addario strings with Martin Monel 12-54 and tweaked the adjustment rod a tad. Then let the guitar adjust for couple of hours. Then, I played the snot out of it, flat picking old songs that I loved to play years ago on my Martin D18. I wasn’t expecting the Eastman would sound like a seasoned, played in, Martin D18 (2013) with essentially the same specs as the Eastman except for the spruce top.  Now, I that I know that the tone (though different than the Martin) is there, I’m very much relieved.  The tone is similar to the Santa Cruz OM/PW that I passed along to my son.  So, with all that said, I will lower the saddle, and adjust the nut slots if needed. The Eastman E10D TC  is an exceptional guitar and a great value for the money. 

TomtheBaptist 

Today I lowered the saddle and tweaked the adjustment rod a bit and now it plays a lot  better. However, the sound is tight, but I’m confident it will soon start to open up. Again, thank you for all your tips and insights.

TomtheBaptist
TomC and sleigh like this post
I have always been in awe of the lower bout of my 2010 E20D that measures a full 5 inches on the outside and knew the growl from the guitar was enhanced by this extra 1/4 inch.  Now you're saying that the newer dreads from Eastman have been reduced in depth in the lower bout since the Bourgeois collaboration ??  I'm sorry to hear that and I will hang on to the E20D forever. I do learn something every time I sign in here. Thanks.