E10ss/v latest verdict?
Hi all,

Have any of you jumped on a recent E10ss /v , say since 2021? Is it a varnish finish, does it just look as such but is really a gloss urethane?

One additional more important question is… do you like yours!

I am thinking of grabbing a new one. Again.
(03-04-2024, 06:02 PM)ThemisSal Wrote: Hi all,

Have any of you jumped on a recent E10ss /v , say since 2021? Is it a varnish finish, does it just look as such but is really a gloss urethane?

One additional more important question is… do you like yours!

I am thinking of grabbing a new one. Again.

Good question Sal - I am interested in knowing the answer to this. Have you tried contacting Eastman?
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I have not.

I have read conflicting information… varnish vs truetone… on Eastmans website and here on knowledgeable threads.

but maybe the most important feedback I can receive is that hopefully seven of you own this model and rave about it.  Smile

hope you are well Alan.
AlanSam likes this post
I still love mine!  Mine is definitely a shellac finish that got case rash and "fixed" though hence the hazing on it in places.  It 100% dissolved in pure ethanol when I worked on a few spots.  One of these days I'm going to fully repair it, but it still sounds great.  My son has been playing it lately and likes the thinner neck vs. pretty much everything else I own.
AlanSam and Shishigashira like this post
Thank you vapour… good to hear.

if I order one, it will be running a horse race against a Taylor AD27, which is an excellent guitar… one would stay. 

awww may both could stay…
(03-05-2024, 03:37 PM)Vapour Wrote: I still love mine!  Mine is definitely a shellac finish that got case rash and "fixed" though hence the hazing on it in places.  It 100% dissolved in pure ethanol when I worked on a few spots.  One of these days I'm going to fully repair it, but it still sounds great.  My son has been playing it lately and likes the thinner neck vs. pretty much everything else I own.

Vapour - do you know which year it is? In terms of Eastman chronology I tend to think in terms of BD (Before Dana) and AD (After Dana).
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(03-06-2024, 01:20 AM)ThemisSal Wrote: Thank you vapour… good to hear.

if I order one, it will be running a horse race against a Taylor AD27, which is an excellent guitar… one would stay. 

awww may both could stay…

Yeah, since this was the last E10ss/v that you owned I think that's the explanation of the weird finish on it.  It doesn't bother me in an $800 beater that my kid is using, but it also doesn't look like the finish on my E20ooss/v.  Given that it came from Dave's I'd bet that was someone in Pomono's attempt to fix case rash.  I would expect the finish on a different model to be shinier.

(03-06-2024, 06:18 AM)AlanSam Wrote:
(03-05-2024, 03:37 PM)Vapour Wrote: I still love mine!  Mine is definitely a shellac finish that got case rash and "fixed" though hence the hazing on it in places.  It 100% dissolved in pure ethanol when I worked on a few spots.  One of these days I'm going to fully repair it, but it still sounds great.  My son has been playing it lately and likes the thinner neck vs. pretty much everything else I own.

Vapour - do you know which year it is? In terms of Eastman chronology I tend to think in terms of BD (Before Dana) and AD (After Dana). 

I bought it used from Dave's guitar shop in December 2021 and it has the M21*** serial number.  This was definitely pre Dana changes to the /v finishes.  Since the finish was slightly odd and the guitar was cheap(ish) I wanted to see what Ethanol could do to fix it.  100% ethanol will dissolve shellac, but not nitro.  This finish dissolved and cleaned up a bit.  Don't try it on a guitar you care about though.
AlanSam likes this post
Crazy small world.  I owned one that I wish I never sold. Then bought yours from Dave’s. And returned it the next day. There wasn’t any case rash… it just felt plasticy shiny, and didn’t have the tone I remembered…

it was December… maybe cold weather caused finish issues on the return, which resulted in an attempt to clean up the finish…. And that’s how you came across it?  I bet if the plastic stuff came off it sounds a ton better.

are the newer ones like mine/yours? Or was this guitar just a weird anomaly?
AlanSam likes this post
(03-06-2024, 01:47 PM)ThemisSal Wrote: Crazy small world.  I owned one that I wish I never sold. Then bought yours from Dave’s. And returned it the next day. There wasn’t any case rash… it just felt plasticy shiny, and didn’t have the tone I remembered…

it was December… maybe cold weather caused finish issues on the return, which resulted in an attempt to clean up the finish…. And that’s how you came across it?  I bet if the plastic stuff came off it sounds a ton better.

are the newer ones like mine/yours? Or was this guitar just a weird anomaly?

I think that guitar was an anomaly.  The finish I saw had some hazing in spots which can happen when water gets into it.  My E20ooss/v from 2023 (still before they changed the finish) has the same thin feel, but without the hazing.  That E20, and the feel of very very little finish on the neck, has become my favorite Eastman.

This would be your (4th?) Eastman slope though right?  You should definitely play the one you want to buy (or get a good return policy).  I think you should be able to tell the newer finished ones due to a lack of relicing on them--and they may be named something like truetone vintage?  Good luck on the hunt!
I think fourth? 

we”ll see. I also bought an Eastman E2D, which my son has now, as well as an E2OM-CD which I gifted to my buddy’s son. Those are stellar guitars. There is a draw of my ears to the Eastman brand. Mandolins too.

but to be fair I’m on my fourth at a half dozen brands…