E10ss/v latest verdict?
(03-06-2024, 04:44 PM)ThemisSal Wrote: I think fourth? 

we”ll see. I also bought an Eastman E2D, which my son has now, as well as an E2OM-CD which I gifted to my buddy’s son. Those are stellar guitars. There is a draw of my ears to the Eastman brand. Mandolins too.

but to be fair I’m on my fourth at a half dozen brands…

Those E2OMs sound way better than they should for that price.  I love passing instruments to my kids--it leaves room for more!
Hi Sal,
First, I hope you are enjoying your Martin 000 custom cherry guitar.
About the E10SS/v, you might remember I had one of the first 5 E10ss/v that were shipped to Acoustic Shoppe back in the fall of 2017, that long ago. I loved the guitar, the sound was like an old D-18 and the varnish was done well and guitar was light and felt old playing it. but neck was a problem.
Last year at Keith Holland's shop, I played another E10ss/v, totally different feel, I was sort of shocked but was reminded by one of the employees that Bourgeois is working with Eastman. Just different feel and sound, it did not feel like I was playing an old guitar like the first one. And I really didn't think it was varnish, it was more like a red J-45.
I like the AD27 quite a bit, I also like the smaller AD22. I think you might check out the new Recording King 12 fret 000 Koa guitar as well. The specs are quite impressive for a newer Recording King.

Hope you find something you can enjoy Sal.
Take care,
Duke
Duke,

I love the Cherry Hill 000; I am blessed. I also love my old D15, and whatever else I tend to “rent”. Thanks for the feedback regarding your ss/v experience.

there are a lot of great guitars out there. I”ll be open minded…

by the way, this was the GOOD E10ss/v I bought. It came from NAMM. It was a heavier guitar than the newer model. But no truetone. No thicker soundhole. It was a warm guitar.

I’m guessing the new ones have the vibe, but maybe they are a tad brighter. Which may be better or worse. I am basing that on the one I subsequently bought and returned during covid.

but you know… the review of the 2023 ones seem great? Maybe after two years they tweaked some? Maybe one has to “lay down his coin and take a shot”.

[Image: 41CqEYL.jpg]
RMH, Shishigashira, DukeS, AlanSam like this post
Sal,
That looks like the one I owned and not the one I played a year or so ago. Actually that photo makes me want to play another.
Great looking guitar Sal!

Duke
Sal - I've said it before and I'll say it again - that guitar with that batwing pick guard looks killer!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Circling back … I’m going to play one in person in a few weeks… 

What are other Eastman similar slopes you would play if you had them in the same shop?
Sal - I've never played an E20ss/v but given the opportunity I would jump at it! By preference I would go for an older guitar. I remember one of the Eastman team saying that they applied a thin layer of colored nitro as undercoat and then a coating of clear shellac over the top. I can quite see nitro melding well with shellac. Whether they now apply an undercoat of polyurethene with shellac over the top, or (and maybe unlikely?) have ditched the shellac completely I don't know, Eastman can be a bit coy about this kind of thing and I would love to know the facts.
Alan
Maybe the E22SS-TC - walnut. The E6 is nice. The E20SSv is stellar
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
I just picked one of these up too. It is a newer model year ('23, I think... but would have to double check). Anyway, I was just wondering if I'd have to be any more careful with it, in terms of the recommendations given in their "cleaning & care," guide. Which does not state such specifically, in regards this finish, versus any of their others.
GL - congratulations on your new E10ss/v. I have E10ooss/v and don't polish it with any of the products available - just wipe it down gently with a clean, slightly damp cloth. And best not to remove the pick guard, because evidence suggests the finish doesn't respond well to this.
guitarlover likes this post
Alan