E10SS as good as a Martin
Just have to say this: my E10-SS is every bit as good as a custom shop Martin (with adi top & hog back & sides) I played. The quality is superb, the sound is rich and resonant. 

Regardless of price, the Eastman is top-of-the-line in quality, sound, and workmanship. 

Beautiful instrument!

Of course it cost WAY less than the $4K Martin, but that's just icing on the cake. Besides, I never could have afforded the Martin, but the Eastman was doable.
Yeah, I played through about $300K of instruments at Gruhn, Carter, and Corner Music last week.  Quite a few nice instruments (and some dogs) but wound up with some hats and T-shirts.  I came home and played my E10-00 which sounded better than the vast majority of what I'd just played. 

I really expected to like some of the Gruhn special order Martins more than I did.
SasquatchLife likes this post
I realize this is an Eastman Guitar Fans forum, but even over at AGF, Eastman is much more accepted and considered on a similar quality with Martin and other major, more iconic brands.  It's nice to see the xenophobia fade away (not totally gone, but way better than several years ago, where a majority of Eastman threads would spiral off course, get moderated, and eventually locked down).

Part of the reason, IMHO, is that Eastman worked hard to overcome legitimate issues with how they made acoustic guitars.  Their build quality improved and became more consistent about 5-6 years ago, and they began introducing new models: antique varnish, TC, LTDs.  Aside from a few hiccups with COVID / supply chain, they've continued this upward trajectory, while increasing their prices, which forced people to consider their purchases more closely as they approach domestic brand prices.  Finally, I think their success in the electric guitar market has helped, as well.

Every brand (and arguably, every guitar) is different.  There are plenty of things I like about Martin, Gibson, Taylor, etc., and there are plenty of things I like about Eastman, Bourgeois, Collings, etc.  I like the way this thread is titled b/c Martin is no "better" or "worse" than any of these brands.  They're great at what they do, and they are a perfect match for thousands of players.  It's good to see Eastman competing well with these top tier brands.
SasquatchLife, AlanSam, Guzzi Fan, Zissou Intern, sleigh, DonO like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I have found what Eastman is currently building to be about on par with Martin in the same price point. IMO, both brands have their pro's and con's. After owning about 8 Eastmans and a dozen Martin's over the last decade here is my take

Eastman Pros:
- Great build quality
- Great value for materials (woods, frets, finishes)
- Wide variety of options and availability 
- Very stable in terms of humidity and temp changes
- Polished frets
- Handmade feel
- Lifetime warranty (they replaced and entire guitar for me for no charge and it was my fault for not keeping the humidity right) 

Eastman Cons:
- Small fit and finish details. Not quite up to par with Martin's fit and finish
- Handmade guitars lend to some variance in actual build (neck shapes, nut width)
- Eastman has been known to try new woods, specs, finish etc, without letting the customer know (using different woods for the same model)
- resell value is not as good as Martin
- Doesn't sound like a Martin (has it's own sound. This could be a pro or a con depending on what you like) 

Martin Pros:
- Name and brand recognition
- Has the consistent Martin tone
- Good resale value
- Pretty high level of fit and finish
- Guitars range from a few hundred to hundreds of thousands of dollars. There is a guitar for everyone. 
- Has been an American guitar company which stayed in the same family since 1833. Lots of history here
- Literally invented the Dreadnaught and is considered to have made the best sounding acoustics in existence. 

Martin Cons:
- Necks have come underset. High action and low saddles (Eastman is the opposite in most cases) 
- Are usually a little more lightly built than Eastman, which makes Martins sound good but they are more susceptible to temp and humidity changes
- Most of what Martin is making now is not as handmade as Eastman (unless you are in the Authentic or custom shop price range)
- Martin warranty doesn't cover as much as it should, and is for just the original owner. 
- I have personally had a few USA Martins that needed neck resests within 10 years, which makes owning the guitars a lot more expensive than my Eastmans. I have never had an Eastman in the last 10 years that needed more than a basic setup. 

Again, both companies have their pros and cons. I say buy and play both!

Now as for an E10SS, I have never owned own. But I am about to get an E1SS and I will compare that to my D-18 and J-45 when it comes in. Smile
sleigh likes this post
JPH - excellent review of Eastman and Martin guitars. My hands on experience is not as extensive as yours but matches your evaluations.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Joshua, great summary of the two brands.  As you mention, the Martin sound can be a pro/con, depending on what the listener prefers.  I've never had a problem with Eastman resale (and would argue that the lower $$ depreciation is a favorable tradeoff to the higher % depreciation).  Great points about the warranty and customer service and neck set (Eastman over, Martin under).  While both warranties are technically original owner, I've read many examples of Eastman going above and beyond for a secondary owner, especially with their Archtop models.  And I've read countless stories about Martin's neck resets (no longer lifetime) and binding issues.
PV - regarding your comment re: Eastman guitars receiving more acceptance, I even see Eastman compliments on the UMGF occasionally.
Pura Vida likes this post
That's high praise, indeed, LOL.
(12-02-2022, 11:02 AM)jphenderson91 Wrote: Now as for an E10SS, I have never owned own. But I am about to get an E1SS and I will compare that to my D-18 and J-45 when it comes in. Smile

Just saying, I sold my J-15 once I discovered the beauty of my E10-SS.
(12-02-2022, 07:54 AM)hardycreek1 Wrote: Just have to say this: my E10-SS is every bit as good as a custom shop Martin (with adi top & hog back & sides) I played. The quality is superb, the sound is rich and resonant. 

Regardless of price, the Eastman is top-of-the-line in quality, sound, and workmanship. 

Beautiful instrument!

Of course it cost WAY less than the $4K Martin, but that's just icing on the cake. Besides, I never could have afforded the Martin, but the Eastman was doable.

Hardycreek,
I certainly enjoy playing mine a bunch.
[Image: PyfKoUq.jpg]
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good decisions are like good decisions..... demo added post#22 Bert 52 14,497 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: backdoc