Current SB59 stock production
A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to try out an SB59/V Red Burst at a local store. They said it was an old stock. I instantly fell in love with it and couldn't stop playing. I had decided then that I would buy it. However, that guitar was sold, so I started looking for other retailers in Europe and found many. The question is: since the demand for Eastman guitars has increased significantly in the last 2 years, do you think that the earlier productions of the SB59, referring to years 2019/2020, are better than the current productions, or have they managed to maintain the same level, even though they have grown incredibly? Does anyone have any information on this or has tried any recent Eastman guitars? Thanks!!
Hiya - welcome to the forum! You've asked good questions, and I am not sure. I have played (at a dealer) both a 2019 and a more recent SB59, and both were of very high typical Eastman quality - so IMO, you are safe to go with any SB59 from any year. I wouldn't hesitate based on model year. Where I would hesitate with Eastman is pre 2012 timeframe, before the factory became more consistent. But there are also some gems in the pre 2012 timeframe as well. Good luck on your search!
First of all, thank you for welcoming me. I just realized that I haven't even sent a message to introduce myself to the other forum users. Thank you very much for your guidance; I will look for a SB59 antique varnish here in some stores in Europe. I can't wait to have it in my hands; I remember it's an absolutely special guitar. Best regards!
(04-15-2024, 10:00 AM)SolidBody59 Wrote: First of all, thank you for welcoming me. I just realized that I haven't even sent a message to introduce myself to the other forum users. Thank you very much for your guidance; I will look for a SB59 antique varnish here in some stores in Europe. I can't wait to have it in my hands; I remember it's an absolutely special guitar. Best regards!

I have a 2018 SB59/V (amber) as well as a 2023 SB59/V (classic) and I can confirm that the quality is pretty much exactly the same in my models.  The only difference is that they changed the stock pickups, maybe in 2019 or so, from Duncan Antiquities to the current Lollar Imperials.  Other than different varnish finishes and ever so slight weight differences (3-4 ounces), I can detect no quality differences.  Hope this helps.
AlanSam and Meathead like this post
(04-23-2024, 08:25 PM)Robflo99 Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 10:00 AM)SolidBody59 Wrote: First of all, thank you for welcoming me. I just realized that I haven't even sent a message to introduce myself to the other forum users. Thank you very much for your guidance; I will look for a SB59 antique varnish here in some stores in Europe. I can't wait to have it in my hands; I remember it's an absolutely special guitar. Best regards!

I have a 2018 SB59/V (amber) as well as a 2023 SB59/V (classic) and I can confirm that the quality is pretty much exactly the same in my models.  The only difference is that they changed the stock pickups, maybe in 2019 or so, from Duncan Antiquities to the current Lollar Imperials.  Other than different varnish finishes and ever so slight weight differences (3-4 ounces), I can detect no quality differences.  Hope this helps. 

Thank you for your response. Yes, I had indeed read about the switch from Seymour Duncan to the custom Lollar Imperials. Another thing I noticed, for example on the Sweetwater website, the latest SB59/TV models they received, despite having the vintage finish (not gloss), seem different, they no longer have the relic style. I was wondering if this will apply to all SB59/V from 2024 onwards or if it's a specific order for Sweetwater. Best regards
Robflo99 likes this post
SOLIDBODY59 - Currently the SB59/v like all the 'v' (aka as antique classic) versions has the relicing always associated with this finish. One of the reasons why the shellac (violin varnish) guitars were relicd was because the finish was fragile and likely to mark up pretty quickly and this wear would be less likely to stand out like a sore thumb on a pre-distressed guitar. Personally I've always loved Eastman's distressed aesthetic whilst acknowledging it's not everyones' cup of tea. The 'tv' finish has a  truetone varnish - a kind of eurathene finish, and not thus far (afaik) relicd. Have a look at Antique Varnish: models and specs. on the Eastman guitar site - https://www.eastmanguitars.com/
On the subject of the antique classic ('v') finish, I recently spoke to people at Max guitars and TFOA in the Netherlands regarding my interest in buying a E10ss/v or E20ss/v. One of those I spoke to has known and on occasion worked with Pepijn 't Hart (Eastman's current global product development manager) over a period of 20 years and he assured me that the antique classic finish on the E10SS/v and E20SS/v is still shellac (violin varnish). He informed me that my belief that these guitars were finished with nitro in conjunction with shellac is incorrect – no nitro has ever been used on the E10ss/v or E20ss/v models, solely shellac.
Meathead likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(04-24-2024, 07:31 AM)AlanSam Wrote: SOLIDBODY59 - Currently the SB59/v like all the 'v' (aka as antique classic) versions has the relicing always associated with this finish. One of the reasons why the shellac (violin varnish) guitars were relicd was because the finish was fragile and likely to mark up pretty quickly and this wear would be less likely to stand out like a sore thumb on a pre-distressed guitar. Personally I've always loved Eastman's distressed aesthetic whilst acknowledging it's not everyones' cup of tea. The 'tv' finish has a  truetone varnish - a kind of eurathene finish, and not thus far (afaik) relicd. Have a look at Antique Varnish: models and specs. on the Eastman guitar site - https://www.eastmanguitars.com/On the subject of the antique classic ('v') finish, I recently spoke to people at Max guitars and TFOA in the Netherlands regarding my interest in buying a E10ss/v or E20ss/v. One of those I spoke to has known and on occasion worked with Pepijn 't Hart (Eastman's current global product development manager) over a period of 20 years and he assured me that the antique classic finish on the E10SS/v and E20SS/v is still shellac (violin varnish). He informed me that my belief that these guitars were finished with nitro in conjunction with shellac is incorrect – no nitro has ever been used on the E10ss/v or E20ss/v models, solely shellac.

Thank you for the clarification and the thorough explanation! I must say I'm not an expert (yet) on Eastman guitars, and your comment really clears things up for me. The only Eastman I've ever tried was a SB59/v redburst, with a shellac finish and relic. I really like this type of finish; it makes it look very natural. Best regards.
AlanSam likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Production Date From Serial Number ftwlouie 4 3,018 06-05-2020, 01:33 PM
Last Post: ftwlouie